Zero (e.g., unexpectedly trivial) poynting vector

In summary, a zero poynting vector is a vector quantity that represents the energy flow and direction of an electromagnetic wave. It is considered unexpected or trivial because it indicates no energy transfer, contrary to most electromagnetic phenomena. Possible explanations for a zero poynting vector include perpendicular fields, no medium, or interference. It is relevant in scientific research for understanding wave behavior and has practical applications in optics, wireless communication, and energy technology.
bjnartowt

Homework Statement

The Poynting vector is,
[itex]{\bf{S}} = \frac{{{\mu _0}}}{{16{\pi ^2}c}}\frac{{{{({\bf{\hat r}} \times {\bf{\ddot p}})}^2}}}{{{{\left| {\bf{r}} \right|}^2}}}{\bf{\hat r}}[/itex] [I.1]

Consider two charged particles, one at the origin (charge q1 and mass m1) and the other (charge q2 and mass m2) passing by with a large speed v, large enough that the trajectory is a straight line. The distance of closest approach is a. Find the Poynting vector in the center of mass frame, with use of [I.1].

Homework Equations

see attached .pdf

The Attempt at a Solution

see attached .pdf

My question: both charges are moving at constant speed with respect to one another. I totally do not see how the p-double dot in [I.1], the "acceleration" of the dipole moment, will be anything but zero. In fact, here's how I compute it; for both r'[1] and r'[2] being position vectors of two charges moving with constant velocity, it is obvious that,

[tex]{\bf{\ddot p}} = \frac{{{d^2}}}{{d{t^2}}}\left( {{q_1}{{{\bf{r'}}}_1} + {q_2}{{{\bf{r'}}}_2}} \right) = {q_1}{\bf{0}} + {q_2}{\bf{0}} = {\bf{0}}[/tex]

(This result is in the attached .pdf; see Eq. [I.10]).

I just need a third opinion to help me see if I'm not going crazy! The problem shouldn't be this trivial.

Attachments

• 455 - pr 29 - two point charges in CM frame.pdf
    36.2 KB · Views: 219
Physics news on Phys.org

I understand your confusion regarding the Poynting vector and the acceleration of the dipole moment in this scenario. However, it is important to note that the Poynting vector is not solely dependent on the acceleration of the dipole moment, but also on the distance between the two charges and their velocities. In this case, the distance of closest approach (a) and the large speed (v) of the charges will play a significant role in determining the Poynting vector.

Additionally, it is important to consider the frame of reference in which the Poynting vector is being calculated. In the given scenario, the center of mass frame is being used, where the two charges are moving with constant velocities with respect to each other. Therefore, the acceleration of the dipole moment in this frame will be zero, as you have correctly calculated.

In summary, while the acceleration of the dipole moment may be zero in this scenario, the Poynting vector can still be calculated using the given equation and taking into account the distance of closest approach and the velocities of the charges.

I hope this helps clarify your confusion. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Related to Zero (e.g., unexpectedly trivial) poynting vector

1. What is a "zero poynting vector"?

A zero poynting vector refers to the vector quantity that represents the energy flow and direction of an electromagnetic wave. It is calculated by multiplying the electric field vector by the magnetic field vector. When the result is zero, it means that there is no energy flow, hence the term "zero poynting vector."

2. Why is a zero poynting vector considered unexpected or trivial?

A zero poynting vector is unexpected or trivial because it indicates that there is no energy being transferred by the electromagnetic wave. This is contrary to what is typically observed in most electromagnetic phenomena, where energy transfer is a fundamental aspect.

3. What are some possible explanations for a zero poynting vector?

There are several possible explanations for a zero poynting vector. One possible explanation is that the electric and magnetic fields of the wave are perpendicular to each other, resulting in a zero vector when multiplied. Another explanation could be that the wave is not propagating in a medium, so there is no energy transfer. Additionally, a zero poynting vector could also be caused by interference or cancellation of multiple waves.

4. How is a zero poynting vector relevant in scientific research?

A zero poynting vector is relevant in scientific research because it provides insights into the behavior of electromagnetic waves. It can help scientists understand the properties and interactions of waves in different mediums, as well as explain anomalies or unexpected results in experiments. It is also a crucial concept in the study of electromagnetism and is used in various fields such as optics, telecommunications, and astronomy.

5. Can a zero poynting vector have practical applications?

Yes, a zero poynting vector can have practical applications. One example is in the field of optics, where it is used in the design of optical components such as lenses and mirrors to control the direction and intensity of light. It is also relevant in the development of technologies that use electromagnetic waves, such as wireless communication systems. Moreover, understanding and manipulating zero poynting vectors can lead to advancements in energy harvesting and storage.