Zero Hamiltonian and its energies

In summary: After a quick look at that it seems that the reparametrisation is just a change from \tau to u, and the fact that the lagrangian is independent of the particular shape of the curve means there is a 'constraint' on the 'possible curves' (which is just a restatement of the fact that the lagrangian is independent of the path taken?).This constraint reduces the degrees of freedom and so we can't find a unique solution from the equations of motion. This is a bit like a potential well in a potential energy graph: different points have different potential energies but the same kinetic energy. This means that we can't recover the path taken from the kinetic energy because a single KE corresponds to many PE. So
dextercioby said:
Usually, second order derivative terms in the HE action can be removed by a part integration. See Dirac (1975) for details.

Daniel.
I guess you need to demand in such cases that spacetime is asymptotically static; in either that [tex] \partial_t g_{\mu \nu} = 0 [/tex] in the infinite past and infinite future (in some a priori chosen coordinate time t).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Of course, in fact Dirac didn't mention this assumption. He just used it to get a better looking Lagrangian and a faster way to derive the field eqns. Actually, a boundary term occurs which can be set to 0, iff your assumption is validated.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Of course, in fact Dirac didn't mention this assumption. He just used it to get a better looking Lagrangian and a faster way to derive the field eqns. Actually, a boundary term occurs which can be set to 0, iff your assumption is validated.

Daniel.

But that would kill off asymtotically de Sitter universes. I guess you do not want that.

And to get the Semi-classical Energies..could we make or use Bohr-Sommerfeld formula?..i mean:

[tex] \oint_{S}d^{4}x \pi _{ab}=\hbar (n+1/2) [/tex]

where S is an hyper-surface, and the "pi's" are the conjugate momenta to the metric g_ab, could we from this expression get the energies? :confused: :confused:

Careful said:
But that would kill off asymtotically de Sitter universes.

Which is weird because such solutions are solutions (excuse the tautology) of the field equations one derives by making such an assumption. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Which is weird because such solutions are solutions (excuse the tautology) of the field equations one derives by making such an assumption. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Daniel.

I was merely worried about the fact that de Sitter allows for no global timelike Killing field and that therefore any such construction involves a cosmological horizon associated to one worldline I guess :-p (since the metric gets degenerate in such coordinate systems). Therefore, it seems you cannot apply this trick to get out full de Sitter, that is all I meant (working in special coordinate systems can be pretty dangerous, at least that is how I understood your comment about Dirac's trick).