Zero-Input/Zero-State Response vs. Homogenous/Particular Solution

In summary, the zero input response is a way of solving a linear system without having to derive the initial conditions at ##t=0^+##.
tomizzo
I have a question regarding the solutions to linear-ordinary differential equations. I had originally learned that the solutions to such differential equations consist of a homogenous solution and particular solution. The homogenous response is due to initial conditions while the particular response is due to the forcing function.

However, I've recently heard the terminology of Zero-Input/Zero-State response. More specifically, the summation of these two responses gives the solution to the linear ODE. I assume that the zero-input response is similar to the homogenous response, but I'm not sure about the zero-state response. How exactly is the zero-input/zero-state response response different from the idea of homogenous/particular solutions?

I've attempted to search for an answer to this question, but have had no luck.

Any help?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Zero input sounds like they mean the forcing function is zero...i.e. the homogeneous solution.
Zero state is a term I have not heard, but is likely what drives your particular solution.

Note that homogeneous refers to a really smart homosexual (homo genius) ;).

In linear systems analysis, at least the way electrical engineers do it, the approach using zero input at zero state responses is often useful. The idea is that with real systems you typically know the initial conditions (voltage across a resistor ...) before the input is applied. Usually we denote that time as ##t=0^-##. Then we apply the input, which can be something as simple as closing a switch connected to a battery. The zero input response uses these intitial conditions with no input, and the zeros state response sets all initial conditions to zero then applies the input.

If you want to apply the traditional homogeneous+complementary solution approach there is a complication, which I will try to describe here. The time right after the input is applied is often called ##t=0^+##; note that in general the "initial conditions" at ##t=0^+## are NOT the same as those at ##t=0^-##. IHowver, if you want to apply the traditional approach you need to derive the initial conditions at ##t=0^+##. For example, if we have a circuit with all inductors, resistors and capacitors then we know that the current through an inductor must be continuous and the voltage across a capacitor must be continuous - this let's us derive what the new initial condition is (the voltage across our resistor again, which does not have to be continuous) at ##t=0^+##. Once we do that, we can find the homogeneous and particular solutions and we are done.

Note that the zero input response includes terms that you would find in the homogeneous solution, but they will have different coeffients. This is because the zero state response will have have the particular solution plus terms that are found in the homogeneous solution. If you do everything right, both ways give the same answer.

Note that this is why electrical engineers usually define laplace transforms to be
##F(s) = \int_{0^-}^\infty dt \, e^{-s t} f(t) ##. Note the ##0^-## as the lower limit of integration. This let's us use the initial conditions at ##t=0^-## that we know without having to derive those at ##t=0^+##.

I hope that helps

jason

Likes mheslep
Extra piece of information. If you are solving a simple problem (for which the conditions at ##t=0^+## are easy to derive) for a single input, then the traditional approach is probably easier and faster. Even better, the Laplace transform, as I wrote it above, is probably by far the easiest way to go (it is what I would usually do).

When solving for many different inputs, or for some kinds of theoretical analysis the zero state and zero input may be preferred.

jason

Related to Zero-Input/Zero-State Response vs. Homogenous/Particular Solution

1. What is the difference between Zero-Input/Zero-State Response and Homogenous/Particular Solution?

The Zero-Input/Zero-State Response (ZIZS) refers to the response of a system when there is no input signal and no initial conditions. This response is purely determined by the system's characteristics and is independent of any external factors. On the other hand, the Homogenous/Particular Solution (HPS) refers to the response of a system to a specific input signal, taking into account any initial conditions. This response is a combination of the system's characteristics and the external input signal.

2. How are ZIZS and HPS related to each other?

ZIZS and HPS are related in the sense that the total response of a system can be represented as the sum of these two components. The ZIZS represents the natural response of the system, while the HPS represents the forced response. In other words, the ZIZS is the response that the system would exhibit if there were no external input, while the HPS is the response caused by the external input.

3. What is the significance of ZIZS and HPS in system analysis?

ZIZS and HPS are essential in understanding the behavior of a system. By separating the response into these two components, we can analyze the system's characteristics and the effects of external inputs separately. This allows us to identify the system's stability, its response to different types of inputs, and how it would behave over time.

4. Can a system have ZIZS without HPS, or vice versa?

Yes, a system can have either ZIZS or HPS alone. For example, if a system has no external input, there would be no HPS, and the response would be purely ZIZS. On the other hand, if a system has a nonzero input but no initial conditions, the response would be purely HPS. However, in most cases, the total response would be a combination of both ZIZS and HPS.

5. How can ZIZS and HPS be calculated or determined?

ZIZS and HPS can be calculated using mathematical techniques such as Laplace transforms or differential equations. The specific method used would depend on the system's characteristics and the type of input signal. In some cases, the ZIZS and HPS can also be determined using experimental data by analyzing the system's response to different inputs.