Zero Total Charge: How is this Possible?

In summary, a system can have a zero total charge when the positive and negative charges cancel each other out, regardless of the type of system. There are many real-life examples of zero total charge, such as neutral atoms. Understanding and studying systems with zero total charge is important in physics, as it helps to understand the behavior and interactions of charged particles. A system with zero total charge can change over time if the balance between positive and negative charges is disrupted.
fishingspree2
For a certain problem I have non-zero electrical field E, non-zero electric flux density D, and non-zero volumic charge density ρV.

When I integrate pV dV over the given region, I get 0.

How is this possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think it's not possible to have zero net charge in such a region?

FAQ: Zero Total Charge: How is this Possible?

1. How can a system have a zero total charge?

Zero total charge is possible when the positive and negative charges in a system cancel each other out, resulting in a net charge of zero.

2. What types of systems can have a zero total charge?

Any type of system, whether it is a single atom or a large collection of particles, can have a zero total charge as long as the net positive and negative charges cancel each other out.

3. Are there any real-life examples of zero total charge?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of zero total charge. For instance, a neutral atom has equal numbers of positively charged protons and negatively charged electrons, resulting in a zero total charge.

4. How is zero total charge important in physics?

Understanding and studying systems with zero total charge is crucial in many areas of physics, such as electromagnetism and particle physics. It helps us understand the behavior and interactions of charged particles in different systems.

5. Can a system with zero total charge change over time?

Yes, a system with zero total charge can change over time if the balance between positive and negative charges is disrupted. For example, in a chemical reaction, atoms can gain or lose electrons, resulting in a change in overall charge.

Back