Zeroth law of thermodynamics and empirical temperature

In summary, the authors claim that by constraint f_{AB}(A_1, A_2, \ldots; B_1, B_2, \ldots) = 0, the first equation of the statistical mechanics equation is independent of C_i. They provide an example of a system in equilibrium where the extraneous variable Pa has been eliminated from the equations.
thegreenlaser
In these lecture notes (http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-333-statistical-mechanics-i-statistical-mechanics-of-particles-fall-2007/lecture-notes/lec1.pdf ), they get the equation:

[tex] F_{AC} (A_1, A_2, \ldots; C_2, C_3, \ldots) = F_{BC} (B_1, B_2, \ldots; C_2, C_3, \ldots) [/tex]

Then they claim that the additional contraint

[tex] f_{AB}(A_1, A_2, \ldots; B_1, B_2, \ldots) = 0 [/tex]

means that the first equation is independent of [itex] C_i [/itex], and so there are functions [itex] \Theta_A [/itex] and [itex] \Theta_B [/itex] such that

[tex] \Theta_A(A_1, A_2, \ldots) = \Theta_B (B_1, B_2, \ldots ) [/tex]

Maybe I'm missing something, but the whole thing feels a little hand-wavy to me, and I'm having trouble seeing a more mathematically rigorous justification for this step. Can anyone help me fill in the gaps and justify this step in a little more detail?

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
It's rigorous because it's impossible to contradict! Forget the Zeroth Law for a minute and consider just arbitrary functions.

Let f1 = f1(x1, x2, x3, x4) = 0 and f2 = f2(x1, x2, x3, x4) = 0.

Furthermore, suppose that we know whenever f1 and f2 are 0, so is some third function f3 = f3(x1, x2, x3) = 0. Then, we must be able to derive the fact that f3 = 0 from the equality f1 = f2 = 0. For this to be true, x4 must have been extraneous as far as f3 is concerned. In other words, although f1 and f2 individually depended on x4, in reducing f1 = f2 = 0 to f3 = 0, it is immaterial what the value of x4 is. It must have canceled out in some intermediate step of the reduction.

----

For a more concrete example, consider systems a, b, and c consisting of Boyle gases separated by movable walls (in order of |--c--|--a--|--b--|).

From experience, we know when system a is in mechanical equilibrium with b, and a is also in mechanical equilibrium with c, b must be in mechanical equilibrium with c. In other words, 'being in mechanical equilibrium' is reflexive, symmetric, as well as transitive. (Search 'equivalence relation' for more on this.)

Because of the interaction between a and b, their pressures and volumes are related: PaVa - PbVb = 0. Or more generally, f_1(Pa, Va, Pb, Vb) = 0.
Because of the interaction between a and c, their pressures and volumes are related: PaVa - PcVc = 0. Or more generally, f_2(Pa, Va, Pc, Vc) = 0.

Because of the transitivity of mechanical equilibrium we previously established, b and c must also be in equilibrium. Thus, we claim the two equations above must directly imply a function of the form: f_3(Pb, Vb, Pc, Vc) = 0. Furthermore, we are claiming that, because Pa and Va appear in both f_1 and f_2 yet not in f_3, this means we could have also found two simpler functions independent of Pa and Va (call them g_1(Pb, Vb) and g_2(Pc, Vc) ) whose values also must have been equal under those conditions.

Now verify; is this true? In this case, it's trivial! PaVa - PbVb = 0 combined with PaVa - PcVc = 0 clearly implies that PbVb - PcVc = 0. As we claimed, the extraneous variables Pa and Va canceled out. Thus, our g_1 and g_2 in this case would have been g_1 = PbVb and g_2 = PcVc and these two functions, as we claimed, were also equal at equilibrium.I study more thermodynamics than mathematics, but I can see why this sounds like a hand-waving argument. This is the only way I've seen this topic introduced in all the thermodynamics textbooks I have read. Perhaps a mathematician could chime in with more thoughts on the rigor of this explanation.

Last edited:

Related to Zeroth law of thermodynamics and empirical temperature

1. What is the Zeroth law of thermodynamics?

The Zeroth law of thermodynamics states that if two systems are in thermal equilibrium with a third system, then they are also in thermal equilibrium with each other. This means that the temperature of the two systems is equal.

2. What is the significance of the Zeroth law of thermodynamics?

The Zeroth law of thermodynamics is important because it allows us to define and measure temperature. It states that temperature is a fundamental property of matter and it can be used to compare the thermal equilibrium of different systems.

3. How does the Zeroth law of thermodynamics relate to the concept of empirical temperature?

The Zeroth law of thermodynamics is the basis for the concept of empirical temperature. Empirical temperature is a measurement of the average kinetic energy of particles in a system, which is directly related to the thermal equilibrium of that system. This relationship is described by the Zeroth law.

4. Can the Zeroth law of thermodynamics be violated?

No, the Zeroth law of thermodynamics is a fundamental law of nature and cannot be violated. It has been extensively tested and has been found to hold true in all observed cases.

5. How is the Zeroth law of thermodynamics used in everyday life?

The Zeroth law of thermodynamics is used in many everyday devices, such as thermometers and thermostats. It also helps us understand and regulate the temperature of our homes, cars, and other environments. Additionally, the concept of thermal equilibrium is important in industries such as food and beverage production, where precise temperature control is necessary for safety and quality purposes.