Zorich's "Mathematical Analysis I" Problem 25

• Thread starter Andrei1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the problem from Zorich's "Mathematical analysis I", pg.69 involves representing a number x in a computer and understanding the range of numbers a computer can work with. The text suggests that there may be misprints, specifically questioning if n=1 should be n=0. The order is defined as the unique p that satisfies q^p <= x < q^(p+1). The bounds for p and k given in the text are not common and it is more common to have |p| <= 1023 and k=53 for a 64-bit IEEE floating point number.
Andrei1
Here is a problem from Zorich's "Mathematical analysis I", pg.69.
25. A number \(\displaystyle x\) is represented on a computer as \(\displaystyle x=\pm q^p\sum_{n=1}^{k}\frac{\alpha_n}{q^n}\), where \(\displaystyle p\) is the order of \(\displaystyle x\) and \(\displaystyle M=\sum_{n=1}^{k}\frac{\alpha_n}{q^n}\) is the mantissa of the number \(\displaystyle x\) \(\displaystyle \left(\frac{1}{q}\leqslant M<1\right).\) Now a computer works only with a certain range of numbers: for \(\displaystyle q=2\) usually \(\displaystyle |p|\leqslant 64\), and \(\displaystyle k=35.\) Evaluate this range in the decimal system.
I suspect this text has misprints: is it correct that \(\displaystyle n=1\) under \(\displaystyle \sum\) and why, or it should be \(\displaystyle n=0\)? By order I understand the unique \(\displaystyle p\in\mathbb{Z}\) such that \(\displaystyle q^{p}\leqslant x<q^{p+1}.\)

Technology news on Phys.org
Andrei said:
Here is a problem from Zorich's "Mathematical analysis I", pg.69.

I suspect this text has misprints: is it correct that \(\displaystyle n=1\) under \(\displaystyle \sum\) and why, or it should be \(\displaystyle n=0\)? By order I understand the unique \(\displaystyle p\in\mathbb{Z}\) such that \(\displaystyle q^{p}\leqslant x<q^{p+1}.\)

Hi Andrei,

No misprint - it should really be \(\displaystyle n=1\), since a mantissa is always less than 1, so with $q=2$ the first term is either $\frac 0 2$ or $\frac 1 2$.

The order, as used here, would be the least power of $p$ that is greater than the number. That is:
$$q^{p-1}\le |x| < q^p$$

I don't know where those bounds for $p$ and $k$ are coming from, but $|p| \le 1023$ and $k=53$ is about the most common, belonging to a 64-bit IEEE floating point number (see wiki).

Related to Zorich's "Mathematical Analysis I" Problem 25

1. What is the main concept behind Problem 25 in Zorich's "Mathematical Analysis I"?

The main concept behind Problem 25 is the concept of uniform continuity, which is a way to measure how a function changes over a given interval. In this problem, you will be asked to prove that a function is uniformly continuous over a given interval.

2. What is the difficulty level of Problem 25 in Zorich's "Mathematical Analysis I"?

The difficulty level of Problem 25 can vary depending on the individual's understanding of uniform continuity and their mathematical background. However, this problem is typically considered to be of moderate difficulty and is a good exercise for practicing the concept of uniform continuity.

3. What are the key steps to solving Problem 25 in Zorich's "Mathematical Analysis I"?

The key steps to solving Problem 25 involve understanding and applying the definition of uniform continuity, using the given information about the function and interval, and using mathematical techniques such as the triangle inequality and the epsilon-delta method to prove the desired result. It is also important to carefully analyze the problem and break it down into smaller, more manageable parts.

4. Are there any resources or tips that can help with solving Problem 25 in Zorich's "Mathematical Analysis I"?

Yes, there are several resources and tips that can help with solving Problem 25. Some helpful resources include textbooks on mathematical analysis, online forums and study groups, and video lectures. It is also important to practice solving similar problems and to seek clarification from a professor or tutor if needed.

5. How can solving Problem 25 in Zorich's "Mathematical Analysis I" benefit my understanding of mathematics?

Solving Problem 25 can benefit your understanding of mathematics by allowing you to practice and apply important concepts such as uniform continuity, which are fundamental to many areas of mathematics. It can also help develop problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities, which are essential for success in mathematics and other fields of science.