Showing that R and R^2 are not homeomorphic

• Thread starter radou
  • Start date
In summary: I'm not sure how this proof goes on. Obviously if we have a homeomorphism f between two spaces, then f(A) is connected under f. So if we have a homeomorphism from R to R2, and R2 is disconnected, then f(A) is not connected under f.
radou
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Prove that R and R^2 are not homeomorphic.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, to prove this, one needs to conclude that there is no homeomorphism between R and R^2. A homeomorphism is a continuous bijection f with a continuous inverse. (Does there exist a bijection at all between these two sets? I assume yes, since they have the same cardinality, but I don't see how to construct it.)

Assume such mapping f exists - could we derive a contradiction here. I'm really clueless.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can kind of envision a direct bijection between (0,1) and (0,1)x(0,1) by given a pair of real numbers, construct a single one by alternating their digits. So the pair (.1275, .9999) becomes .19297959.

There are some issues with well-definedness at points with more than one decimal expansion (for example, .1 vs .099999).

As far as proving no homeomorphism exists, the classic method involves removing the origin from both and seeing what happens to one and not the other

Office_Shredder said:
As far as proving no homeomorphism exists, the classic method involves removing the origin from both and seeing what happens to one and not the other

Could you please be a bit more specific, I'm not sure I understand what you meant.

I assume I have to find some topological property which R and R^2 don't share, since if there would exist a homeomorphism between them, this property would be preserved. But I simply can't see it - both spaces are connected and separable, right? I should find some other property.

If you remove a point from R, what topological property does R have that R minus that point doesn't have?

Office_Shredder said:
If you remove a point from R, what topological property does R have that R minus that point doesn't have?

If we remove some point x from R, then R\{x} is not connected anymore, since it can be written as a union of <-∞, x> and <x, +∞>.

Right. Now if R is homeomorphic to R2, what can we conclude about R2?

Well, if R is homeomorphic to R^2, we know that R^2 is connected, too, since continuous functions (and homeomorphisms in particulas) preserve that property. If we remove some x from R now, R\{x} isn't connected anymore. I'm not sure what's the picture. Is we look at the restriction of the mapping to R\{x}, it stays continuous, right? But I only know that it maps connected sets to connected sets. Can it happen for the domain not to be connected, and the image of the map connected?

radou said:
Well, if R is homeomorphic to R^2, we know that R^2 is connected, too, since continuous functions (and homeomorphisms in particulas) preserve that property. If we remove some x from R now, R\{x} isn't connected anymore. I'm not sure what's the picture. Is we look at the restriction of the mapping to R\{x}, it stays continuous, right? But I only know that it maps connected sets to connected sets. Can it happen for the domain not to be connected, and the image of the map connected?

R\{x} is not connected, and our homeomorphism is still a homeomorphism. The space R\{x} is allegedly homeomorphic to is going to be R2\{f(x)}

In general a domain can be disconnected and have a connected image; for example any constant map. But this can't happen for homeomorphisms (we would hope not, otherwise homeomorphic would be a terribly weak property) and is something that can be proven fairly simply

Office_Shredder said:
R\{x} is not connected, and our homeomorphism is still a homeomorphism. The space R\{x} is allegedly homeomorphic to is going to be R2\{f(x)}

In general a domain can be disconnected and have a connected image; for example any constant map. But this can't happen for homeomorphisms (we would hope not, otherwise homeomorphic would be a terribly weak property) and is something that can be proven fairly simply

OK, we proved that R\{x} and R\{f(x)}^2 are not homeomorphic, but how does this imply that R and R^2 are not homeomorphic? Obviuosly both R\{x} and R\{f(x)}^2 are not connected, and our homeomorphism stays a homeomorphism from a disconnected set to a disconnected set. Should we prove that a homeomorphism doesn't in general map a disconnected set into a disconnected set? Or is it simply a game of logic - if we have the implication (which is true) "A is connected => f(A) is connected under a homeomorphism f", then its negation is false, i.e. "A is not connected => f(A) is not connected under a homeomorphism f"? (btw, I'm not really sure my logic is right here) Thanks for your patience :)

Not R\{f(x)}2 (which doesn't even make sense), we're looking at R2\{f(x)}; the plane minus a point

Suppose f is a homeomorphism from R to R2. Then here are the key points:
1) f is also a homeomorphism from R\{x} to R2\{f(x)}
2) R\{x} is disconnected, R2\{x} is connected
3) A connected set cannot be homeomorphic to a disconnected set

You'll have to fill in the details for the proof

Office_Shredder said:
Not R\{f(x)}2 (which doesn't even make sense), we're looking at R2\{f(x)}; the plane minus a point

Suppose f is a homeomorphism from R to R2. Then here are the key points:
1) f is also a homeomorphism from R\{x} to R2\{f(x)}
2) R\{x} is disconnected, R2\{x} is connected
3) A connected set cannot be homeomorphic to a disconnected set

You'll have to fill in the details for the proof

You meant R^2\{f(x)} is connected, right? (in 2) )

So, if f : R\{x} --> R^2\{f(x)} is a homeomorphism, then it has a continuous inverse f^-1, and since continuous function preserve connectedness, it follows that R\{x} is connected, which is a contradiction.

I hope I got it right now, thanks for your help.

1. What is the difference between R and R^2?

R and R^2 are both mathematical sets, with R representing the set of all real numbers and R^2 representing the set of all ordered pairs of real numbers. In other words, R^2 includes not just single numbers, but also pairs of numbers.

2. How can you prove that R and R^2 are not homeomorphic?

To prove that two spaces are not homeomorphic, we must show that there is no continuous, bijective function between them. In the case of R and R^2, we can show this by demonstrating that any continuous function from R to R^2 must map a single point in R to an entire line in R^2, making it impossible for the function to be bijective.

3. Can you give an example of a continuous function from R to R^2?

Yes, an example of a continuous function from R to R^2 is f(x) = (x,0). This function maps each real number x to the ordered pair (x,0), which is a point on the x-axis in the Cartesian plane.

4. What is the significance of proving that R and R^2 are not homeomorphic?

Proving that R and R^2 are not homeomorphic has important implications in topology and geometry. It means that these two spaces have different topological properties, and therefore cannot be transformed into each other through continuous deformations. This has practical applications in fields such as physics and engineering.

5. Are there any other ways to show that R and R^2 are not homeomorphic?

Yes, there are several other methods that can be used to prove that R and R^2 are not homeomorphic. These include showing that one space is compact and the other is not, or demonstrating that one space is simply connected while the other is not. Additionally, we can use algebraic topological invariants such as the fundamental group or homology groups to show that R and R^2 have different properties.