Hi,
consider the set of the following parametrized matrices
$$
\begin{bmatrix}
1+a & b \\
c & \frac {1 + bc} {1 + a} \\
\end{bmatrix}
$$
They are member of the group ##SL(2,\mathbb R)## (indeed their determinant is 1). The group itself is homemorphic to a quadric in ##\mathbb R^4##.

I believe the above parametrization is just a chart for the group as manifold. It makes sense only for ##a \neq -1## and this condition yields an open subset in ##\mathbb R^3##. On this open set the map is bijective.

That means the are matrices of ##SL(2,\mathbb R)## that cannot be parametrized by the above map (i.e. matrices with the element in the first row/column equal 0).

My question is: the fact that the above parametrization does not cover entirely the group manifold does not rule out in principle that ##SL(2,\mathbb R)## as manifold might be homeomorphic with ##\mathbb R^3##. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The question is a bit unclear. In any case ##SL(2,\mathbb R)## is not homeomorphic to ##\mathbb R^3##.

martinbn said:
In any case ##SL(2,\mathbb R)## is not homeomorphic to ##\mathbb R^3##.
Ok, the point is: even if I found a parametrization (a chart) that doesn't cover entirely a manifold, there might be one that instead covers it entirely, right ?

cianfa72 said:
Ok, the point is: even if I found a parametrization (a chart) that doesn't cover entirely a manifold, there might be one that instead covers it entirely, right ?
In general yes. Take an open proper subset of ##\mathbb R^3##, it is a chart that doesn't cover the whole space, but there are charts that do.

Likes cianfa72
Ok, as in post #1 the Lie group ##SL(2,\mathbb R)## is homeorphic with a quadric in ##\mathbb R^4## with the subspace topology from ##\mathbb R^4## -- in some sense this is "tautologically" true since the topology of ##SL(2,\mathbb R)## is defined that way.

I believe we can cover ##SL(2,\mathbb R)## (i.e. the quadric in ##\mathbb R^4##) with just 2 charts. One is the chart in post#1, the other one could be
$$
\begin{bmatrix}
a & b \\
\frac {1 + ac} {b} & c \\
\end{bmatrix}
$$
Btw, ##SL(2,\mathbb R)## as topological space should have the same topology as the subspace topology from ##GL(2,\mathbb R)##. Indeed the latter is open in ##\mathbb R^4## and of course ##SL(2,\mathbb R)## is a subset of it. Then the open sets in ##SL(2,\mathbb R)## are all and only the intersections of open sets in ##GL(2,\mathbb R)## with the set ##SL(2,\mathbb R)##.

Last edited:
##\operatorname{SL}(2,\mathbb{R})\cong_\mathbb{R} \operatorname{SU}(2,\mathbb{C})\cong_\mathbb{R} \mathbb{S}^3## - two charts.

fresh_42 said:
##\operatorname{SL}(2,\mathbb{R})\cong_\mathbb{R} \operatorname{SU}(2,\mathbb{C})\cong_\mathbb{R} \mathbb{S}^3## - two charts.
This is confusing. The special linear group is not compact. It cannot be homeomorphic to a sphere. Also your notation for the unitary group is non standard. Do you mean ##SU(2)## or the complex points of the algebraic group?

I just thought they should be "equal" for sharing the same Lie algebra, but you are right. And it's a mistake. The corresponding Lie algebras are only complex isomorphic.

It was so wrong, that I even missed the fact that the Lie algebra as the tangent space at ##1## is a local property.

Likes martinbn
Does make sense my post#5 ? Thank you.

cianfa72 said:
Does make sense my post#5 ? Thank you.
Yes.

cianfa72 said:
That can happen if the manifold is globally, not just locally homeomorphic to ##\mathbb R^3##.

cianfa72 said:
WWGD said:
That can happen if the manifold is globally, not just locally homeomorphic to ##\mathbb R^3##.
It could happen even if it isn't homeomorphic to ##\mathbb R^3##. For example take your manifold to be two disjoint open sets in ##\mathbb R^3## then you have a global chart but it is not connected so it is not homeomorphic to the whole ##\mathbb R^3##.

Likes cianfa72
martinbn said:
For example take your manifold to be two disjoint open sets in ##\mathbb R^3## then you have a global chart but it is not connected so it is not homeomorphic to the whole ##\mathbb R^3##.
Yes, the global chart map in this case is just the Identity map.