Are There Engineering Applications for the Generalized Z-Transform?

In summary: . the z-transform is used to control noise in digital systems and to improve the clarity of signals. it is also used to improve the performance of communication systems. it can be used to try and detect poles off the unit circle, or sometimes is used to sample only the part of the unit circle that you want.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Has there been any applications in engineering to the following generelization to Z-transform?

##X(z) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty x[n] e^{-zn}##

We get the ##z##-trasnform by using the substitution ##z \mapsto Log(z)##.

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's looks so closely related to the Laplace transform (and maybe the Fourier transform) that any any application of it would probably be satisfied by one of those.

Yes. The standard Z transform:
[tex]
X(z) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty x[n] z^{-n}
[/tex]
can be evaluated on the unit circle, ##z=e^{i \Omega}## and you get the discrete time Fourier transform. If you have a finite number of elements in your sequence ##x[n]## this is essentially the Discrete Fourier Transform(DFT) if you chose ##\Omega## properly. If you move off the unit circle (or don't have the nice spacing of the DFT) you can get something sometimes called the chirp-z transform (and may have other names), which in general samples along spirals int he complex plane. It can be used to try and detect poles off the unit circle, or sometimes is used to sample only the part of the unit circle that you want.

jason

@jasonRF but in your case ##\Omega## is real, in my case, the ##z## in the exponent is complex. As in ##e^{x+iy}##.
So it maybe called the discrete laplace transform.

Likes FactChecker
MathematicalPhysicist said:
@jasonRF
Right. But also the summation goes negative, where the Laplace integral does not. I can't see what the relationship would be. A sampled signal mixed with a Laplace?

@jasonRF but in your case ##\Omega## is real, in my case, the ##z## in the exponent is complex. As in ##e^{x+iy}##.
Sorry I wasn't more clear; that is what I meant by "off the unit circle". More explicitly, for a finite time sequence people have used,
[tex]
X[k] = \sum_{n=0}^{N-1} x[n] e^{-\sigma n k - i 2 \pi k n /N}
[/tex]
with ##k## varying from 0 to N-1. This is like a DFT, except on a spiral instead of the unit circle. You can think of this as
[tex]
X(z_k) = \sum_{n=0}^{N-1} x[n] z_k^{-n}
[/tex]
with
[tex]
z_k = e^{\sigma k - i 2 \pi k /N}
[/tex]
just as you were asking.

If you are thinking an infinite sequence, then your example is conceptually no different than the Z transform.

A classic reference on this (I must admit that I have not read the paper) is:
http://www.researchgate.net/publication/3205060_Enhancement_of_Poles_in_Spectral_Analysis jason

Last edited by a moderator:
FactChecker said:
Right. But also the summation goes negative, where the Laplace integral does not. I can't see what the relationship would be. A sampled signal mixed with a Laplace?
There's one sided Laplace transform and there's the two sided Laplace transform, i.e from -\infty to \infty.

Likes FactChecker
Has there been any applications in engineering to the following generelization to Z-transform?

##X(z) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty x[n] e^{-zn}##

We get the ##z##-trasnform by using the substitution ##z \mapsto Log(z)##.

Thanks in advance.
the z-transform is used a lot in DSP and controls to name a few

Related to Are There Engineering Applications for the Generalized Z-Transform?

1. What is the Z-transform generalization?

The Z-transform generalization is a mathematical tool used in signal processing to convert discrete-time signals from the time domain to the frequency domain. It is an extension of the discrete-time Fourier transform, which is used for continuous signals.

2. What are the applications of Z-transform generalization?

The Z-transform generalization is widely used in digital signal processing, control systems, and communication systems. It is used to analyze and design digital filters, control systems, and communication systems. It is also used in image and audio processing, speech recognition, and data compression.

3. How is Z-transform generalization related to Laplace transform?

The Z-transform generalization is closely related to the Laplace transform, as they both transform signals from the time domain to the frequency domain. However, the Laplace transform is used for continuous signals, while the Z-transform generalization is used for discrete-time signals.

4. What is the difference between Z-transform generalization and Fourier transform?

The Z-transform generalization and Fourier transform both convert signals from the time domain to the frequency domain. However, the Z-transform generalization is used for discrete-time signals, while the Fourier transform is used for continuous signals. Additionally, the Z-transform generalization takes into account the entire signal, while the Fourier transform only looks at a single period of the signal.

5. How is the Z-transform generalization calculated?

The Z-transform generalization is calculated using the formula Z{x(n)} = ∑x(n)z⁻ⁿ, where x(n) is the discrete-time signal and z is the complex variable. It can also be calculated using the inverse Z-transform, which converts signals from the frequency domain back to the time domain.