Beginning Group Theory, wondering if subset of nat numbers are groups?

In summary, group theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the algebraic structures called groups, which can be used to describe symmetries in various fields. A group has four basic properties: closure, associativity, identity, and invertibility. Natural numbers are often used as the elements of a group, but not all subsets of natural numbers are groups. Group theory has many real-world applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, computer science, and cryptography.
mathacka
I know this post is in the topology thread of this forum, for group theory, this seemed like the reasonable choice to post it in. I realize group theory is of great importance in physics and I'm trying to eventually understand Emmy Noether's theorem.

I'm learning group theory on my own, and I'm trying to consider the "symmetry" of a certain group of natural numbers:

Here's the idea, all natural numbers are comprised of multiples of primes. So a subset would be those comprised of 2 unique primes.

Consider the function:

f(x,y) = xp * yq
where p and q are chosen unique prime numbers and x and y are natural numbers.

can the inputs x and y, with the function itself being thought of as "the operator", (since x*p and y*q is also a condition of the operator *)?

QUESTION 1: My main question is, can the set of (x,y) -> f(x,y) be thought of as a group? If so, what is the inverse function and identity (x,y)?

Does this break down because a function might not necessarily be considered a "binary operation"?

I have a feeling this is much simpler than what I'm making it out to be, my idea is to see what kind of symmetry or other symmetry-like structure(s) that prime numbers have on the generation of the natural numbers.

QUESTION 2: If this isn't a group in group theory, what kind of abstract algebraic structures ought I be looking at?

QUESTION 3: As a side note, can a finite set of 1 - n | (1, 2, 3, n) have a prime number set of "generators"? Are these primes technically group generators, or are they something else entirely different, perhaps named a "set generator"?

Physics news on Phys.org
mathacka said:
I know this post is in the topology thread of this forum, for group theory, this seemed like the reasonable choice to post it in. I realize group theory is of great importance in physics and I'm trying to eventually understand Emmy Noether's theorem.

I'm learning group theory on my own, and I'm trying to consider the "symmetry" of a certain group of natural numbers:

Here's the idea, all natural numbers are comprised of multiples of primes. So a subset would be those comprised of 2 unique primes.

Consider the function:

f(x,y) = xp * yq
where p and q are chosen unique prime numbers and x and y are natural numbers.

can the inputs x and y, with the function itself being thought of as "the operator", (since x*p and y*q is also a condition of the operator *)?
Can "the inputs x and y" what you seem to have left out the predicate of this sentence.

QUESTION 1: My main question is, can the set of (x,y) -> f(x,y) be thought of as a group? If so, what is the inverse function and identity (x,y)?
?? "(x, y)-> f(x,y)" is NOT a set. Are you asking if the set of natural numbers, with the operation "x+ y"= f(x, y)= xp*yq= (xy)pq for fixed primes p and q. (Did you really mean "*"? This problem seems more interesting if we define the operation to be xp+ yq.)

Does this break down because a function might not necessarily be considered a "binary operation"?
IF you mean what I suggested above, this clearly is a "binary function"- it is applied to x and y.

I have a feeling this is much simpler than what I'm making it out to be, my idea is to see what kind of symmetry or other symmetry-like structure(s) that prime numbers have on the generation of the natural numbers.
In order to be a group the operation must be associative. Is that true here?

Assuming you have shown that, the identity must be an integer, e, such that, for any integer x, f(x,e)= (xe)(pq)= x. What if x= 0?

2: If this isn't a group in group theory, what kind of abstract algebraic structures ought I be looking at?

QUESTION 3: As a side note, can a finite set of 1 - n | (1, 2, 3, n) have a prime number set of "generators"? Are these primes technically group generators, or are they something else entirely different, perhaps named a "set generator"?
By "prime number set" do you mean a set of prime numbers or a set containing a prime number of elements?

It's been some time since I've done any abstract algebra, but this:
QUOTE:
is definitely not true. The whole point of groups is to find a structure that might be considered to have properties of the group. Your function is clearly a binary operation, and that's all you need to know that it will be a group if it satisfies other properties.

Related to Beginning Group Theory, wondering if subset of nat numbers are groups?

1. What is group theory and why is it important?

Group theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the algebraic structures called groups. These groups can be used to describe symmetries in mathematics, physics, chemistry, and other fields. Group theory is important because it provides a powerful tool for understanding and analyzing these symmetries.

2. What are the basic properties of a group?

A group is a set of elements with a binary operation (usually denoted by *) that follows four basic properties: closure, associativity, identity, and invertibility. This means that for any two elements in the group, their operation will result in another element in the group, the order of operations does not matter, there is an identity element that when operated with any element in the group results in that same element, and every element in the group has an inverse element that when operated together results in the identity element.

3. What are natural numbers and how do they relate to groups?

Natural numbers are the counting numbers: 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. In group theory, natural numbers are often used as the elements of a group. This means that the operation of the group will be performed on these numbers, resulting in a new number that is also a natural number. However, not all subsets of natural numbers are groups, as they must follow the four basic properties mentioned in the previous question to be considered a group.

4. Can any subset of natural numbers be a group?

No, not all subsets of natural numbers are groups. In order for a subset to be a group, it must follow the four basic properties of closure, associativity, identity, and invertibility. If any of these properties are not satisfied, then the subset is not a group.

5. How can group theory be applied in real-world situations?

Group theory has many applications in various fields, such as physics, chemistry, computer science, and cryptography. It can be used to describe symmetries in geometric shapes, model particle interactions, and analyze algorithms. It also has practical applications in encryption and data security, as groups are used in cryptography to encode and decode information.