Bijection is uniformly continuous

In summary, we can show that the function f:N->Q, a bijection, is uniformly continuous on N by choosing a small enough delta and using the fact that every point in N is an isolated point. This means that f is continuous on N and is u.c. on compact subsets of N. Therefore, f is uniformly continuous on N and does not require the use of induction.
deekin
Let f:N-> Q be a bijection. I want to show that this is uniformly continuous on N. (N is the set of natural numbers, Q the rationals). My first thought was to use induction. Since every point in N is an isolated point, then f is continuous on N.

Let N1=[1,a_1], where a_1 is a natural number greater than or equal to 1. Then f is u.c. on N1 because N1 is compact. Suppose that f is u.c. on Nn=[1,a_n], where a_n>a_(n-1)>a_(n-2)>...>a_1. Then f is u.c. on [1,a_(n+1)] because this set is compact. Thus, f is u.c. on N by induction.

Something doesn't feel right though, I don't think this works but am not sure why.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, nevermind. I think I figured it out. I don't need to use induction. Just pick 0<delta<1. Then for all epsilon>0 and for all natural numbers x and y, if |x-y|<delta, then |f(x)-f(y)|=0<epsilon because |x-y|<delta<1 implies x=y.

Related to Bijection is uniformly continuous

What is a bijection?

A bijection is a type of function that maps each element in one set to a unique element in another set. This means that for every input, there is exactly one output, and vice versa.

What does it mean for a bijection to be uniformly continuous?

A bijection is uniformly continuous if it preserves the distance between points in the two sets. This means that small changes in the input will result in similarly small changes in the output, regardless of where the input is on the domain.

How is uniform continuity different from regular continuity?

Uniform continuity is a stronger form of continuity that applies to functions that map between metric spaces. It guarantees that the function is continuous across the entire domain, not just at individual points.

Why is it important for a bijection to be uniformly continuous?

Uniform continuity is important for bijections because it ensures that the function will not drastically alter the relationship between points in the two sets. This is necessary for preserving the one-to-one correspondence between elements in the sets.

Can a bijection be uniformly continuous but not continuous?

No, a bijection cannot be uniformly continuous but not continuous. Uniform continuity is a stronger form of continuity and requires regular continuity as a prerequisite. If a function is not continuous, it cannot be uniformly continuous.