Confusion with the basics of Topology (Poincare conjecture)

shiv23mj
Hi there I am trying to get into topology
I am looking at the poincare conjecture
if a line cannot be included
as it has two fixed endpoints
by the same token
isn't a circle a line with two points? that has just be joined together
so by the same token the circle is not allowed?
Can i get a clarification

Physics news on Phys.org
shiv23mj said:
Can i get a clarification
As soon as I figure out what your questions are.
shiv23mj said:
Hi there I am trying to get into topology
Fine. What do you read and why?
shiv23mj said:
I am looking at the poincare conjecture
So you want to get into topology by one of the most complicated theorems topology has to offer? Ambitious plan. Good luck!
shiv23mj said:
if a line cannot be included
as it has two fixed endpoints
A line has a boundary, yes, and the Poincaré conjecture is a statement for objects without a boundary.
shiv23mj said:
by the same token
isn't a circle a line with two points?
Which two points? They aren't anymore after you glued them together. Forgotten. Lost. Gone.
shiv23mj said:
that has just be joined together
And lost its boundary when glued together.
shiv23mj said:
so by the same token the circle is not allowed?
The circle is allowed in the one-dimensional case. However, the statement sounds a bit stupid in this case because it becomes almost trivial: Every one-dimensional closed manifold of the homotopy type of a circle is homeomorphic to the circle. It means: any closed line without any crossings can (topologically) be seen as a circle.

The Poincaré conjecture (now theorem) is about specific topological objects (compact, simply connected, three-dimensional manifolds without boundary) and a criterion when two of them are topologically equivalent, namely to a 3-sphere, the surface of a four-dimensional ball.

The key is to understand what topological equivalent means. It basically means a continuous deformation that can be reversed. Not allowed are cuts, e.g. creating holes. That is why topologists consider a mug and a donut to be the same thing:
epic-fortnite.gif

• Informative
Likes SammyS, berkeman and topsquark
The Poincare conjecture says, that every compact, connected 3 - manifold (without boundary) which has trivial fundamental group, is homeomorphic to the 3-sphere.

Thus you must learn the concepts of homeomorphism, manifold, compactness, connectedness, and fundamental group, to even understand the statement.

I recommend reading the book Algebraic topology, an introduction, by William Massey, at least the first two chapters. You will find there most of the proof of the 2 dimensional analogue of the Poincare conjecture, already very instructive and interesting.

here's a used copy for under $10!
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Se..._f_hp&tn=algebraic topology&an=William Massey

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes WWGD, berkeman and topsquark

1. What is the Poincare conjecture in topology?

The Poincare conjecture is a famous problem in mathematics that asks whether a simply connected, closed 3-dimensional manifold is homeomorphic to a 3-sphere. It was first proposed by Henri Poincare in 1904 and remained unsolved for over a century.

2. What does it mean for a manifold to be simply connected?

A manifold is simply connected if every loop in the manifold can be continuously shrunk to a point without leaving the manifold. In other words, there are no "holes" or nontrivial loops in a simply connected manifold.

3. What is a 3-sphere in the context of the Poincare conjecture?

A 3-sphere is a three-dimensional analogue of a sphere in four-dimensional space. It is defined as the set of all points in four-dimensional space that are a fixed distance from a central point. In the context of the Poincare conjecture, the question is whether a closed 3-dimensional manifold is topologically equivalent to a 3-sphere.

4. Why is the Poincare conjecture considered a fundamental problem in mathematics?

The Poincare conjecture is considered fundamental because it deals with the classification of 3-dimensional manifolds, which are important objects in geometry and topology. The solution to the conjecture required the development of new mathematical tools and techniques, making it a landmark problem in the field.

5. How was the Poincare conjecture finally proven?

The Poincare conjecture was finally proven by Russian mathematician Grigori Perelman in 2003. Perelman's proof relied on Ricci flow and the theory of geometric analysis to show that any compact, simply connected 3-manifold with positive Ricci curvature is homeomorphic to a 3-sphere. Perelman's work was widely recognized and awarded the Fields Medal in 2006.