Calculating scandium content in thortveitite

• Thread starter Ron Werner
  • Start date
In summary, a museum professional is developing a display on the mineral thortveitite, containing 1850 grams of thortveitite pieces. To make the display interesting for children, they want to calculate the amount of scandium in grams, which sells for $15,000 per kilogram. However, they have forgotten the chemistry lesson and are seeking help. The formula for thortveitite is Sc2Si2O7.
Ron Werner
Hello,

I am a museum professional developing a small geological display on the scandium-containing mineral thortveitite.

I will display a glass containing 1850 grams of thortveitite pieces.

In order to make the accompanying text interesting for children, I want to inform them about the potential value of this quantity of thortveitite by calculating the amount of scandium in grams.

Scandium sells for $15.000/kg.

But help oh help, I forgot my chemistry lessons a long time ago.

The formula of thortveitite is: Sc2Si2O7

Is there somebody who can help me?

Thanks in advance!

Ron Werner
Evje og Hornnes geomuseum Fennefoss
Norway

Physics news on Phys.org
1.850 kg Sc2Si2O7

upload_2018-5-10_13-7-5.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-10_13-7-5.png
    upload_2018-5-10_13-7-5.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 445
Likes jim mcnamara and Ron Werner
Thank you very much for this quick and helpful reply! Super!

Ron Werner
Evje og Hornnes geomuseum Fennefoss
Norway

Related to Calculating scandium content in thortveitite

1. What is thortveitite?

Thortveitite is a rare mineral that contains the element scandium and is typically found in granite pegmatites.

2. How is scandium content calculated in thortveitite?

The scandium content in thortveitite is typically calculated by using an analytical technique called inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (ICP-MS).

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of scandium content calculations in thortveitite?

The accuracy of scandium content calculations in thortveitite can be affected by factors such as sample preparation techniques, instrument sensitivity, and potential interference from other elements in the sample.

4. Why is it important to calculate scandium content in thortveitite?

Calculating scandium content in thortveitite is important for understanding the distribution and abundance of this rare element in the Earth's crust and for potential industrial and scientific applications.

5. What is the typical range of scandium content in thortveitite?

The typical range of scandium content in thortveitite is between 10-30% by weight, but can vary depending on the specific sample and location where it is found.