In the contact zone between geology and physics...

RonWerner
How did you find PF?
Google search
My name is Ron Werner, Dutchman, living/working in Norway since 1992. My main interest is geology and I have worked for several museums and mineral-dealers during my life. Since 2000 I have worked for the Evje og Hornnes geomuseum Fennefoss in Evje, in the south of Norway. It is a small museum, but located in one of the most interesting pegmatite districts in Europe, where many interesting minerals have been found in some 500-600 mines and quarries.

Last year I got a new opportunity to work together with a educational campground school for children (Evjetun leirskole), and I am now trying to develop some new experiments for use this coming season. The children stay here one week and participate in many different activities.

Some of my experiments are purely geological, but I am trying to include electronics, physics and chemistry whenever possible.

For instance, I have constructed a simple metal detector the children can use to experiment with different types of ores and metals.

My self-made geiger counter is in use at the school for demonstrating radioactivity in natural minerals.

At the age of the children attending this school haven't had any significant contact with geology/physics/chemistry, so the difficulty grade of all my experiments must be entry-level.

I have forgotten much of the physics I had at school, which means that a forum like this can be of great value to me and my projects!

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum.