Center of mass of composite body

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the center of mass for a composite body using various equations for area. The person providing the solution has attached their calculations and is asking for verification. They have also corrected errors in their previous calculations.
aaronfue

Homework Statement

In the image below, calculate the center of mass (x-bar,y-bar) of the composite body.

Homework Equations

I've used all of the equations for area for the shapes needed (triangle, square, circle).

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attached my calculations and would appreciate if someone could verify that they are correct.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Center of Mass Problem.JPG
    Center of Mass Problem.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 682
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 539
Physics news on Phys.org
x and y for the triangle look strange, and your area calculations are wrong.

The table in your figure contains mostly formulas with no data.

@Steamking: I've attached both the images with formulas and with the answers to the calculations to view.

@mrb: I believe it is NOT an equilateral triangle therefore the formula should be correct. And the area calculations for the rest of the shapes I've verified to be correct as well.

Attachments

• Formulas.JPG
    Formulas.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 582
  • Calculations.JPG
    Calculations.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 500
aaronfue said:
@mrb: I believe it is NOT an equilateral triangle therefore the formula should be correct.
Who is mrb?
Of course it is not equilateral, it has 1 and sqrt(5/4) as sidelengths.
Judging from your formulas in columns F and G and rows 3 to 5, columns D and E are supposed to have the center of mass position of the geometric object. y=1.75 is certainly not the y-position of its center of mass (it is outside the whole object), and x=0.5 is wrong as well.

And the area calculations for the rest of the shapes I've verified to be correct as well.
Consider the square, for example: It has a height of 1 and a width of 1, so its area is 1. Your formula, however, gives 1.5. Even worse: It gives the same area for the hole, which is obviously wrong.

Sorry...mfb.

I did notice those errors for the areas and they should be correct...now.

That looks good now.

Related to Center of mass of composite body

1. What is the definition of "center of mass"?

The center of mass of a composite body is the point at which the entire mass of the body can be considered to be concentrated, and the body behaves as if all external forces were applied at that point.

2. How is the center of mass calculated for a composite body?

The center of mass can be calculated by taking the weighted average of the individual masses and positions of each component of the composite body. This can be done using the formula: xcm = (m1x1 + m2x2 + m3x3 + ... + mnxn) / (m1 + m2 + m3 + ... + mn) for the x-coordinate, and a similar formula for the y-coordinate.

3. What is the significance of the center of mass for a composite body?

The center of mass is important because it helps us understand the overall motion and stability of a composite body. It also allows us to analyze the effects of external forces on the body and predict its behavior.

4. Can the center of mass be outside of the physical boundaries of a composite body?

Yes, the center of mass can be outside of the physical boundaries of a composite body. This can happen if the distribution of mass within the body is uneven, causing the center of mass to shift towards one side.

5. How does the center of mass affect the rotational motion of a composite body?

The center of mass plays a crucial role in the rotational motion of a composite body. If an external force is applied at the center of mass, the body will experience pure translation. However, if the force is applied at any other point, both translation and rotation will occur. The further away the force is applied from the center of mass, the greater the rotational effect will be.