Centroid of Composite Bodies - Statics of Rigid Bodies

Nova_Chr0n0
Homework Statement
Locate the centroid (x̄,ȳ) of the shaded area.
Relevant Equations
Formulas for Centroid of Composite Bodies
1698042147756.png
1698042973332.png
1698043116611.png

The figure and formulas is shown above. My strategy of cutting the areas/shapes is shown below:
1698042252346.png

Area 1 = Area of Triangle
Area 2 = Area of the square - Area of the quarter circle
Area 3 = Area of the larger quarter circle - Area of the smaller quarter circle

Computing for the areas, I got:
1698042494429.png

Now I will solve for ȳ
1698042762082.png

Now my problem is, when I've tried to search for the answers in the internet, ȳ = 1.386 or 1.39 inches. I've got the x̄ right which is x̄=-1.175 or -1.18 inches. I cannot find my mistake here, can someone enlighten me? The solutions I've found on the internet used this cutted areas.
1698043377121.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Nova_Chr0n0 said:
Homework Statement: Locate the centroid (x̄,ȳ) of the shaded area.
Relevant Equations: Formulas for Centroid of Composite Bodies

View attachment 334022View attachment 334031View attachment 334032
The figure and formulas is shown above. My strategy of cutting the areas/shapes is shown below:
View attachment 334025
Area 1 = Area of Triangle
Area 2 = Area of the square - Area of the quarter circle
Area 3 = Area of the larger quarter circle - Area of the smaller quarter circle

Computing for the areas, I got:
View attachment 334026

Now I will solve for ȳ
View attachment 334030

Now my problem is, when I've tried to search for the answers in the internet, ȳ = 1.386 or 1.39 inches. I've got the x̄ right which is x̄=-1.175 or -1.18 inches. I cannot find my mistake here, can someone enlighten me? The solutions I've found on the internet used this cutted areas.
View attachment 334034
You appear to have forgotten about the quarter circles taken out in the ##\bar y## computation for each area with regards to the component centroids.

Likes Nova_Chr0n0 and Lnewqban
The posted math does not match the actual geometry of the composite body.

Calculated values of y of the centroid for A2 and A3 are less than the actual values, as those correspond to solid square and quarter of circle of reduced area (after substracting hollow areas).

The hollow areas at the bottom of those shapes make the resultant centroid to relocate to a higher position than for the solid shape.

• Informative
Likes Nova_Chr0n0

1. What is the centroid of a composite body?

The centroid of a composite body is the point at which the entire weight of the body can be considered to act, making it a useful concept in analyzing the stability and equilibrium of rigid bodies.

2. How is the centroid of a composite body calculated?

The centroid of a composite body can be calculated by finding the individual centroids of each component of the body and then using the weighted average method to determine the overall centroid. This involves multiplying the centroid of each component by its weight and dividing the sum of these values by the total weight of the body.

3. What is the significance of the centroid in statics of rigid bodies?

The centroid is significant in statics of rigid bodies because it is the point at which the weight of the body can be considered to act, making it a useful reference point for determining the stability and equilibrium of the body.

4. How does the position of the centroid affect the stability of a composite body?

The position of the centroid has a direct impact on the stability of a composite body. If the centroid is located above the base of the body, it will be more stable and less likely to tip over. If the centroid is located outside the base, the body will be less stable and more prone to tipping.

5. Can the centroid of a composite body change?

Yes, the centroid of a composite body can change depending on the distribution of weight within the body. If the weight of the components changes or if components are added or removed, the position of the centroid will also change.