Centrifugal force in space Motor with axle and wheight

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of centrifugal and centripetal force in space and how it applies to spinning objects in space. The question is raised about what would happen if a motor with an axle and a mass on the end is started up in space. It is explained that this concept is used in the Hubble Space Telescope to aim it. The conversation also touches on the idea of astronauts moving around in a spacecraft affecting its attitude. However, this concept cannot be used to cause translation, as it would violate the laws of physics. The person also mentions their own experiment based on Nikola Tesla's flying machine, but acknowledges the need for it to succeed or fail before making any claims.
ZelfZA
HI.

I've read a lot of posts on centrifugal and centripetal force in space. But they mostly refer to the spinning space stations.

I would like to know what happens when you take a motor with an axle and a mass on the end on of the axle, and you start the motor up.. I understand the whole law of "every action has a opposite equal reaction".
But does this mean the motor will follow the mass in a small circle or will the whole thing just "hang" there wobbling about?

Does anyone know if it has been tested in space?

To add to my question...

If a person in a "spinning" spaceship touches the side and gets "caught" in the "gravity".. Does it make the ship off balance?

I hope you get my question - understand it I mean.. It's bugging me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

The Hubble Space Telescope uses exactly that concept to aim it. The motor spins the wheel one way and that makes the Hubble spin the other way:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaction_wheel

And yes, astronauts moving around in a spacecraft will affect its attitude. Fortunately, the astronauts are a lot lighter than the spacecraft so the effect is small.

Thanks for the speedy reply and the link to the Reaction wheel.

I assume the speed of the wheel and the mass of it will be determined by the mass of the ship.

All of this is relevant to my experiment of the last 4 years.
A theory similar to that of Nikola Tesla's Flying machine.
But I would Like to see my Experiment Succeed or Fail..
Before I make any claims.

I think you need to go back and understand something simpler.

Two masses, m1 and m2, are connected via a rigid rod with negligible mass. So you then set it to spin in your "space", i.e. no friction, no gravity.

They will both spin about the center of mass of the system! The location of the center of mass depends on the mass m1 and m2, and how far apart they are. If m1=m2, then the COM will be right in the middle of the two. For the Earth-Moon system, it is close to the center of the Earth since m_Earth>>m_Moon.

You need to look at your "motor-axel-mass" with this level of understanding.

Zz.

ZelfZA said:
Thanks for the speedy reply and the link to the Reaction wheel.
You're welcome!
I assume the speed of the wheel and the mass of it will be determined by the mass of the ship.
Correct.

Also worth noting that despite your title this doesn't have anything to do with centrifugal force.
All of this is relevant to my experiment of the last 4 years.
A theory similar to that of Nikola Tesla's Flying machine.
But I would Like to see my Experiment Succeed or Fail..
Before I make any claims.
Uh oh. That can't lead anywhere good. Note that:
1. What we are discussing can only cause rotation, not translation.
2. Internal action causing translation would violate conservation of momentum.
3. We don't deal in things that violate the laws of physics here.

Related to Centrifugal force in space Motor with axle and wheight

1. What is centrifugal force in space?

Centrifugal force in space refers to the outward force experienced by an object moving in a circular path in the absence of an external force. In space, there is no gravity or other forces acting on the object, so the centrifugal force is the only force that keeps the object moving in a circular motion.

2. How does a motor with an axle and weight work in space?

A motor with an axle and weight works by utilizing the principle of centripetal force. The motor rotates the axle, which in turn rotates the weight attached to it. This creates a centripetal force that keeps the weight moving in a circular path, creating a centrifugal force in the opposite direction.

3. Can centrifugal force be created in a vacuum?

Yes, centrifugal force can be created in a vacuum. In fact, it is often easier to demonstrate the concept of centrifugal force in a vacuum because there are no other forces present to complicate the demonstration.

4. How does centrifugal force affect objects in space?

Centrifugal force can affect objects in space by causing them to move in a circular path around a central point. This force can also be used to simulate the effects of gravity on astronauts in space.

5. Is centrifugal force the same as centripetal force?

No, centrifugal force and centripetal force are not the same. Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the equal and opposite force that is experienced by the object moving in the circular path.