Complex Integration - Conway - First Example on page 63 .... Section 1, Ch. IV .... ....

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about an example in John B. Conway's book "Functions of a Complex Variable I" (Second Edition). The example involves the use of Theorem 1.9 for Riemann-Stieljes integral and the definition of a line integral. The question is about the use of "dz" in the example and how it relates to the theorem. The answer clarifies that "dz" is the differential of z over the path of integration and that the function to be integrated is independent of the path.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading John B. Conway's book, "Functions of a Complex Variable I" (Second Edition) ...

I am currently focussed on Chapter IV: Complex Integration ... Section 1: Riemann-Stieljes Integral ... ...

I need help in fully understanding the first example on page 63 ... ...

The the first example on page 63 read as follows:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/7447My question is as follows:

In the example we are supposed to be following Theorem 1.9 (see below) where\(\displaystyle \int_a^b f \ d \gamma = \int_a^b f(t) \gamma' (t) \ dt\)... BUT ... (my confusion ...) ... ... Conway writes ...\(\displaystyle \int_{ \gamma } \frac{1}{z} \ dz = \int_0^{ 2 \pi } e^{ -it } ( i e^{ it} ) \ dt\) but ... ? ... apart from the fact that \(\displaystyle dz\) does not appear in Theorem 1.9 ... ( I know it appears in the notation for a line integral ... but ...? )... it seems to me that \(\displaystyle e^{ -it} = f( \gamma (t) )\) ... ... but \(\displaystyle f( \gamma (t) )\) does not appear in Theorem 1.9 ... ?... but instead \(\displaystyle f(t)\) appears in Theorem 1.9 ...
Can someone clarify the above by explaining in some detail what is actually going on in the above example from Conway ...Help will be much appreciated ...

Peter=========================================================================

The above post mentions Theorem 1.9 (Ch.4) and the definition of a line integral ... so I am providing MHB readers with access to both ... as follows:View attachment 7448

View attachment 7449Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am reading John B. Conway's book, "Functions of a Complex Variable I" (Second Edition) ...

I am currently focussed on Chapter IV: Complex Integration ... Section 1: Riemann-Stieljes Integral ... ...

I need help in fully understanding the first example on page 63 ... ...

The the first example on page 63 read as follows:

My question is as follows:

In the example we are supposed to be following Theorem 1.9 (see below) where\(\displaystyle \int_a^b f \ d \gamma = \int_a^b f(t) \gamma' (t) \ dt\)... BUT ... (my confusion ...) ... ... Conway writes ...\(\displaystyle \int_{ \gamma } \frac{1}{z} \ dz = \int_0^{ 2 \pi } e^{ -it } ( i e^{ it} ) \ dt\) but ... ? ... apart from the fact that \(\displaystyle dz\) does not appear in Theorem 1.9 ... ( I know it appears in the notation for a line integral ... but ...? )
The "dz" is the differential of z over the path \(\displaystyle \gamma\) so \(\displaystyle dz= d\gamma\). Here, the path of integration is given as \(\displaystyle z= \gamma(t)= e^{it}\). Every complex number, z, can be written \(\displaystyle z= re^{i\theta}\) with modulus r and argument \(\displaystyle \theta\). On this path, the unit circle, r= 1 and \(\displaystyle z= e^{it}\). \(\displaystyle dz= d\gamma= ie^{it}dt\). Of course, since \(\displaystyle z= e^{it}\), \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{z}= \frac{1}{e^{it}}= e^{-it}\) so the integral becomes \(\displaystyle \oint_0^{2\pi}\frac{1}{z}dz= \int_0^{2\pi}e^{-it}e^{it}dt= \int_0^{2\pi} dt= 2\pi\)[/quote]... it seems to me that \(\displaystyle e^{ -it} = f( \gamma (t) )\) ... ... but \(\displaystyle f( \gamma (t) )\) does not appear in Theorem 1.9 ... ?... but instead \(\displaystyle f(t)\) appears in Theorem 1.9 ...[/quote]
"f" is the function to be integrated, here 1/z. The function to be integrated is completely independent of the path of integration.
Can someone clarify the above by explaining in some detail what is actually going on in the above example from Conway ...Help will be much appreciated ...

Peter=========================================================================

The above post mentions Theorem 1.9 (Ch.4) and the definition of a line integral ... so I am providing MHB readers with access to both ... as follows:

Peter

HallsofIvy said:
The "dz" is the differential of z over the path \(\displaystyle \gamma\) so \(\displaystyle dz= d\gamma\). Here, the path of integration is given as \(\displaystyle z= \gamma(t)= e^{it}\). Every complex number, z, can be written \(\displaystyle z= re^{i\theta}\) with modulus r and argument \(\displaystyle \theta\). On this path, the unit circle, r= 1 and \(\displaystyle z= e^{it}\). \(\displaystyle dz= d\gamma= ie^{it}dt\). Of course, since \(\displaystyle z= e^{it}\), \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{z}= \frac{1}{e^{it}}= e^{-it}\) so the integral becomes \(\displaystyle \oint_0^{2\pi}\frac{1}{z}dz= \int_0^{2\pi}e^{-it}e^{it}dt= \int_0^{2\pi} dt= 2\pi\)
... it seems to me that \(\displaystyle e^{ -it} = f( \gamma (t) )\) ... ... but \(\displaystyle f( \gamma (t) )\) does not appear in Theorem 1.9 ... ?... but instead \(\displaystyle f(t)\) appears in Theorem 1.9 ...[/quote]
"f" is the function to be integrated, here 1/z. The function to be integrated is completely independent of the path of integration.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the help, HallsofIvy ...

Appreciate your assistance ...

Peter

Related to Complex Integration - Conway - First Example on page 63 .... Section 1, Ch. IV .... ....

1. What is complex integration?

Complex integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the integral or area under a curve in the complex plane. It is an extension of real-valued integration to complex-valued functions.

2. What is the first example of complex integration in Conway's book?

The first example in Conway's book on complex integration is the calculation of the integral of the complex function f(z) = z over the path from 0 to 1+i, as shown on page 63 in Section 1 of Chapter IV.

3. What is the purpose of the first example on page 63?

The purpose of the first example on page 63 is to introduce readers to the concept of complex integration and demonstrate how it can be applied to a simple function. It also serves as a starting point for more complex integration problems in the book.

4. What is the significance of Section 1 in Chapter IV of Conway's book?

Section 1 in Chapter IV of Conway's book is titled "The Integral of a Complex Function" and serves as a foundational chapter for understanding complex integration. It covers topics such as the definition of a complex integral, properties of complex integrals, and techniques for computing complex integrals.

5. How can I use the first example on page 63 to solve other integration problems?

The first example on page 63 demonstrates the basic steps and techniques for computing a complex integral. By following the same steps and applying them to different functions and paths, you can use this example as a guide to solve other integration problems in the book.