Recifiable Paths in C .... Conway, Section 1, Ch. 4 ....

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Section
In summary: PeterIn summary, when considering rectifiable paths in complex analysis, it is important for the composition of the path and function to be non-decreasing in order for the path to have the same trace as the original path. This ensures a consistent and continuous path and makes it easier to define a trace. Non-decreasing is a sufficient condition, not a necessary one.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading John B. Conway's book, "Functions of a Complex Variable I" (Second Edition) ...

I am currently focussed on Chapter IV: Complex Integration ... Section 1: Riemann-Stieljes Integral ... ...

I need help in fully understanding some notes by Conway on rectifiable paths in \(\displaystyle \mathbb{C}\) on page 63 ... ...

The notes on rectifiable paths on page 63 read as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/7446
My question regarding the above text from Conway is as follows:Why exactly does \(\displaystyle \phi\) need to be non-decreasing in order for \(\displaystyle \gamma \circle \phi\) to be a path with the same trace as \(\displaystyle \gamma\) ... ... ?Help will be much appreciated ... ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
He's not saying that $\varphi$ must be nondecreasing, but that if $\varphi$ is nondecreasing, then $\gamma\circ \varphi$ has the same trace as $\gamma$. It's a sufficient condition he's giving, not a necessary condition.

Hi Peter,

I am also currently reading Conway's book and have come across the same notes on rectifiable paths. From my understanding, the reason why \phi needs to be non-decreasing is because the composition \gamma \circle \phi will essentially be tracing the same path as \gamma, just at a different pace.

If \phi is non-decreasing, it means that the values of \phi are increasing along the path \gamma. This ensures that as \gamma moves along its path, the values of \gamma \circle \phi also increase, creating a consistent and continuous path. If \phi was not non-decreasing, it could potentially lead to overlapping or disjointed paths, making it difficult to define a trace for \gamma \circle \phi.

I hope this helps clarify the concept for you. Let me know if you have any other questions or if I can provide further explanation. Happy reading!

Related to Recifiable Paths in C .... Conway, Section 1, Ch. 4 ....

What is a recifiable path in C?

A recifiable path in C is a sequence of points that can be connected by straight line segments to form a continuous path. It is a fundamental concept in computational geometry and is used to represent various objects and structures in code.

How are recifiable paths represented in C?

Recifiable paths in C are typically represented as arrays of points, with each point containing the x and y coordinates. These arrays can then be used to perform various operations on the path, such as calculating the length or finding intersections with other paths.

What is the significance of Conway in regards to recifiable paths in C?

Conway, also known as John Horton Conway, was a mathematician who made significant contributions to the study of recifiable paths and other geometric concepts. His work has greatly influenced the development of algorithms and data structures for working with recifiable paths in C.

What is Section 1 in Chapter 4 of Conway's work about?

Section 1 in Chapter 4 of Conway's work focuses on the concept of rectifiable curves, which are curves that can be approximated by recifiable paths. This section discusses the properties and characteristics of rectifiable curves and their relationship to other geometric concepts.

Why are recifiable paths important in C?

Recifiable paths are important in C because they provide a way to represent and manipulate geometric objects and structures in code. They are also used in a variety of applications, such as computer graphics, navigation systems, and data visualization.