Continuous Functions and Open Sets .... D&K Example 1.3.8 ....

In summary: Then, since $f$ is continuous, you can also infer that $f$ assumes all values in $[-1,1]$ on all of $\mathbb{R}$, since $\mathbb{R}$ is the union of all such intervals. In summary, Duistermaat and Kolk's Example 1.3.8 illustrates how, by using elementary calculus and the Intermediate Value Theorem, one can formally and rigorously show that the image of a continuous and smooth function over the real numbers is a closed interval, in this case $[-1,1]$. This is a fundamental concept in continuity and differentiation, and understanding it is crucial for further studies in real analysis.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading "Multidimensional Real Analysis I: Differentiation" by J. J. Duistermaat and J. A. C. Kolk ...

I am focused on Chapter 1: Continuity ... ...

I need help with an aspect of Example 1.3.8 ...

Duistermaat and Kolk"s Example 1.3.8 reads as follows:View attachment 7697In the above example we read the following:

"... ... Then \(\displaystyle f( \mathbb{R} ) = [ -1, 1]\) where \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}\) is open ... ... "My question is as follows:

Can someone please show, formally and rigorously, that \(\displaystyle f( \mathbb{R} ) = [ -1, 1]\) ... ... ?Help will be much appreciated ... ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
Can someone please show, formally and rigorously, that \(\displaystyle f( \mathbb{R} ) = [ -1, 1]\) ... ... ?

I believe you can arrive at that by elementary calculus, i.e., by taking the derivative of $f$, setting it equal to 0 and solving for $x$ to show that $f(x)$ has a minimum of $-1$, a maximum of $1$ and since $f$ is smooth and continuous over all of $\mathbb{R}$, these values are the closed boundaries of the image of $f$.

greg1313 said:
... and since $f$ is smooth and continuous over all of $\mathbb{R}$, these values are the closed boundaries of the image of $f$.

A little more explicitly: Once you have established that $f$ assumes its global minimum $-1$ at, say, $a$ and its global maximum $+1$ at $b > a$, you could refer to the Intermediate Value Theorem to conclude that $f$ assumes on $[a, b]$ all values in $[-1,1]$.

Related to Continuous Functions and Open Sets .... D&K Example 1.3.8 ....

1. What is a continuous function?

A continuous function is a type of mathematical function that maintains a consistent relationship between the input and output values. This means that small changes in the input will result in small changes in the output, and the function does not have any sudden jumps or breaks. In other words, the graph of a continuous function does not have any holes or gaps.

2. How is continuity defined in terms of open sets?

In terms of open sets, continuity means that the preimage of an open set is an open set. In other words, for any open set in the range of a function, there exists an open set in the domain that maps to it. This is a more formal way of stating the idea that small changes in the input result in small changes in the output.

3. What is an open set?

An open set is a set of points in a metric space that does not contain its boundary points. In simpler terms, an open set is a set of points that does not include its edges or boundaries. This allows for the existence of a small open ball around each point in the set, which can be used to define continuity.

4. How is the concept of continuity useful in mathematics?

The concept of continuity is useful in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, analysis, and topology. It allows for the study and understanding of functions and their behavior, as well as the relationship between different sets of points. Continuity is also a fundamental concept in the development of more advanced mathematical theories and applications.

5. Can a function be continuous on a closed interval but not on an open interval?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be continuous on a closed interval but not on an open interval. This is because a closed interval includes its endpoints, while an open interval does not. Therefore, a function may have a jump or break at one of the endpoints, making it discontinuous on the open interval but continuous on the closed interval.