Equivalence of Norms in R^n .... D&K Corollary 1.8.10 .... ....

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalence
In summary, Corollary 1.8.10 in "Multidimensional Real Analysis I: Differentiation" by Duistermaat and Kolk defines equivalent norms as two norms $\mu(x)$ and $\nu(x)$ that can be related by positive numbers $c_1$ and $c_2$ such that $c_1\mu(x)\le\nu(x)\le c_2\mu(x)$. This means that the theorems proved in $\mathbb{R}^n$ are essentially unchanged when the norm is changed to an equivalent one.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading "Multidimensional Real Analysis I: Differentiation" by J. J. Duistermaat and J. A. C. Kolk ...

I am focused on Chapter 1: Continuity ... ...

I need help with an aspect of Corollary 1.8.10 ... ...

Duistermaat and Kolk's Corollary 1.8.10 and the preceding notes and results read as follows:View attachment 7743In the notes after Theorem 1.8.8 above we read the following:

" ... ... A useful application of this theorem is to show the equivalence of all norms on the finite-dimensional vector space \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}^n\). ... ... "My question is as follows:

How/why does Corollary 1.8.10 show the "equivalence" of all norms on the finite-dimensional vector space \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}^n\). ... ... in what sense is this meant?

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
How/why does Corollary 1.8.10 show the "equivalence" of all norms on the finite-dimensional vector space \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}^n\).
Corollary 1.8.10 states the definition of equivalent norms. Two norms $\mu(x)$ and $\nu(x)$ are called equivalent if there exist positive numbers $c_1$ and $c_2$ such that $c_1\mu(x)\le\nu(x)\le c_2\mu(x)$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Corollary 1.8.10 states the definition of equivalent norms. Two norms $\mu(x)$ and $\nu(x)$ are called equivalent if there exist positive numbers $c_1$ and $c_2$ such that $c_1\mu(x)\le\nu(x)\le c_2\mu(x)$.

Hi Evgeny ... thanks for the help ...

Can you go further and state that equivalent norms means that the theorems proved in \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}^n\) are essentially unchanged when the norm is changed to an equivalent one ...

Peter

Related to Equivalence of Norms in R^n .... D&K Corollary 1.8.10 .... ....

1. What is the significance of the "Equivalence of Norms" concept in R^n?

The concept of "Equivalence of Norms" in R^n is important because it allows us to use different norms to measure the distance or size of vectors in n-dimensional space. This provides flexibility and allows us to choose the most suitable norm for a specific problem or application.

2. What does Corollary 1.8.10 in D&K refer to?

Corollary 1.8.10 in the textbook "Differential Equations and Linear Algebra" (D&K) states that if two norms are equivalent in R^n, then they have the same open sets. This means that if a set is open with respect to one norm, it will also be open with respect to the other norm.

3. How does Corollary 1.8.10 relate to the concept of "Equivalence of Norms"?

Corollary 1.8.10 is a result of the concept of "Equivalence of Norms" in R^n. It provides a useful property that is true for any two equivalent norms, allowing us to use them interchangeably in certain situations.

4. Can you give an example of two equivalent norms in R^n?

One example of two equivalent norms in R^n is the Euclidean norm and the maximum norm. The Euclidean norm is commonly used to measure the distance between two points in n-dimensional space, while the maximum norm gives the maximum absolute value of the components of a vector. They are equivalent because they produce the same open sets in R^n, as stated in Corollary 1.8.10.

5. Are all norms equivalent in R^n?

No, not all norms are equivalent in R^n. Two norms are equivalent if and only if they produce the same open sets in R^n. This means that there are multiple equivalent norms in R^n, but not all norms will be equivalent to each other.