Contour integral (please check my solution)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of a contour integral and how to simplify the solution. The specific question is about the meaning of the limits "from e^-pi*1/2 to e^pi*i/2." It is explained that these limits indicate the starting and ending points of the contour on the unit circle. This information may affect the calculation, as it determines the range of integration from -pi/2 to pi/2.
aruwin
Hello. Can someone check my solution for this question? I am not sure what to do about the "from e^-pi*1/2 to e^pi*i/2" part. I ignored that part.

Attachments

• IMG_6396.jpg
    IMG_6396.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 48
Physics news on Phys.org
That looks correct. You could simplify the answer by noticing that $\sin\pi = 0.$

Opalg said:
That looks correct. You could simplify the answer by noticing that $\sin\pi = 0.$

Thanks. But what does "from e^-pi*1/2 to e^pi*i/2" mean?

aruwin said:
Thanks. But what does "from e^-pi*1/2 to e^pi*i/2" mean?
It means that $C$ is the contour starting at the point $e^{-i\pi/2} = -i$ on the unit circle, and ending at the point $e^{i\pi/2} = i.$

Opalg said:
It means that $C$ is the contour starting at the point $e^{-i\pi/2} = -i$ on the unit circle, and ending at the point $e^{i\pi/2} = i.$

Does that affect the calculation here? Is that why we integrate from -pi/2 to pi/2?

Related to Contour integral (please check my solution)

1. What is a contour integral?

A contour integral is a type of complex integral used in mathematics and physics to calculate the area under a curve that is not defined on a real number line. It is typically represented by the symbol ∫, and is also known as a path integral.

2. How is a contour integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral is used to calculate the area under a curve on a real number line, while a contour integral is used to calculate the area under a curve on a complex plane. This means that the path of integration for a contour integral is not limited to a straight line, but can follow any arbitrary path on the complex plane.

3. What are the applications of contour integrals?

Contour integrals have a wide range of applications in mathematics and physics, including complex analysis, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and fluid mechanics. They are particularly useful in solving problems involving complex functions and in calculating physical quantities such as electric and magnetic fields.

4. How do you solve a contour integral?

To solve a contour integral, you must first parameterize the path of integration, which involves expressing the complex variable in terms of a real parameter. Then, you can use techniques such as the Cauchy-Goursat theorem, Cauchy's integral formula, or the residue theorem to evaluate the integral. It is important to choose the correct path of integration and to properly handle any singularities along the path.

5. What are some common mistakes when dealing with contour integrals?

One common mistake when dealing with contour integrals is not properly choosing the path of integration. This can lead to incorrect solutions or even divergent integrals. Another mistake is not properly handling the singularities along the path, which can also lead to incorrect solutions. It is important to carefully consider the path of integration and any singularities before attempting to evaluate a contour integral.