Contour Integration: Solving $\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{x - 1}{x^5 - 1}dx$

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary: I was doing the wrong thing. It should be $\frac{1}{5}\left(\dfrac{\omega^4 - 1}{\omega^4}\right)$ and then you have to put the exponent back on.In summary, the integral $\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{x - 1}{x^5 - 1}dx$ can be solved by first identifying the poles of the function and then using the formula for residues to calculate their contributions to the integral. After simplification, the final result is $\frac{4\pi}{5}\sin{\frac{2\pi}{5}}$.
Dustinsfl
$$
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{x - 1}{x^5 - 1}dx.
$$

Taking a look at the expression $f(z) = \dfrac{z - 1}{z^5 - 1}$ we see that the poles of $f$ are the zeros of $g(z) = z^5 - 1 = 0$.
Let $z = re^{i\theta}$ where $\theta\in (-\pi, \pi)$.
Then
$$
r^5e^{5i\theta} = 1
$$
and $e^{2i\pi k} = 1$ where $k\in\mathbb{Z}$.
So
$$
r^5e^{5i\theta} = e^{2i\pi k},
$$
Thus, we have that $r^5 = 1$ so $r = 1$ and $5\theta = 2\pi k$ so $\theta = \dfrac{2\pi k}{5}$.
Then
$$
z_j = \exp{\left(\pm\dfrac{2\pi i}{5}\right)}, \exp{\left(\pm\dfrac{4\pi i}{5}\right)}, 1.
$$
The only zeros in the upper half plane are $z = \exp{\left(\dfrac{2\pi i}{5}\right)}, \exp{\left(\dfrac{4\pi i}{5}\right)}$.
$g'(z) = 5z^4$ which is zero iff. $z = 0$.
Thus $1/g$ has only simple poles at $z_j$.
\begin{align}
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{x - 1}{x^5 - 1}dx &= 2i\pi\sum_{z_j \ \text{upper half plane}}\text{Res}_{z = z_j}g(z)\notag\\
&= \frac{2\pi i}{5}\left(\exp{\left(-\dfrac{8\pi i}{5}\right)} + \exp{\left(-\dfrac{6\pi i}{5}\right)}\right)\notag\\
\end{align}

So I get to here but I can't simplify it down to Mathematica's answer. Plus, when I get the numerical solution of my answer and Mathematica's, they aren't the same.
What is wrong?

---------- Post added at 15:28 ---------- Previous post was at 15:00 ----------

Does f(z) need to be defined by removing the removable singularity?

$$
f(z) = \dfrac{1}{z^4 + z^3 + z^2 + z + 1}
$$
and then
$$
g(z) = z^4 + z^3 + z^2 + z + 1 = 0
$$
If this is the case, how would (see below) be solved?
$$
r^4e^{4i\theta} + r^3e^{3i\theta} + r^2e^{2i\theta} + re^{i\theta} = e^{i\pi + 2i\pi k}
$$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks as though you are using the wrong formula for the residues. For a function of the form $\dfrac{h(z)}{g(z)}$, the residue at a pole $z_0$ is $\dfrac{h(z_0)}{g'(z_0)}.$ In this case, the function is $\dfrac{z-1}{z^5-1}$, so the residue is $\dfrac{z_0-1}{5z_0^4}.$

You will find the calculation much easier if you write $\omega = e^{2\pi i/5}$ (and remember all the time that $\omega^5=1$). Then the poles are at $\omega$ and $\omega^2$. The residues are $\dfrac{\omega-1}{5\omega^4}$ and $\dfrac{\omega^2-1}{5\omega^3}.$ Their sum simplifies to $\tfrac15(-\omega+\omega^4)$. But $\omega^4$ is the complex conjugate of $\omega$, so this simplifies further to $-\tfrac25i\sin\tfrac{2\pi}5.$ That gives the value of the integral as $\tfrac{4\pi}5\sin\tfrac{2\pi}5.$

Opalg said:
It looks as though you are using the wrong formula for the residues. For a function of the form $\dfrac{h(z)}{g(z)}$, the residue at a pole $z_0$ is $\dfrac{h(z_0)}{g'(z_0)}.$ In this case, the function is $\dfrac{z-1}{z^5-1}$, so the residue is $\dfrac{z_0-1}{5z_0^4}.$

You will find the calculation much easier if you write $\omega = e^{2\pi i/5}$ (and remember all the time that $\omega^5=1$). Then the poles are at $\omega$ and $\omega^2$. The residues are $\dfrac{\omega-1}{5\omega^4}$ and $\dfrac{\omega^2-1}{5\omega^3}.$ Their sum simplifies to $\tfrac15(-\omega+\omega^4)$. But $\omega^4$ is the complex conjugate of $\omega$, so this simplifies further to $-\tfrac25i\sin\tfrac{2\pi}5.$ That gives the value of the integral as $\tfrac{4\pi}5\sin\tfrac{2\pi}5.$

How do the sums equal $\frac{1}{5}(-\omega+\omega^4)$?

I keep getting $\frac{1}{5}\left(\dfrac{\omega^3 - 1}{\omega^4}\right)$

Never mind.

Related to Contour Integration: Solving $\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{x - 1}{x^5 - 1}dx$

1. What is contour integration?

Contour integration is a method for evaluating integrals along a complex path in the complex plane rather than along the real axis. It is commonly used to solve difficult integrals involving complex functions.

2. How do you solve contour integrals?

To solve a contour integral, you first need to choose a suitable contour in the complex plane. Then, you use the Cauchy integral formula to evaluate the integral along the chosen contour. Finally, you use the residue theorem to simplify the integral and find its value.

3. What is the purpose of contour integration?

The purpose of contour integration is to evaluate complex integrals that cannot be solved using traditional methods. It allows us to extend our understanding of integration to complex numbers and functions, and provides a powerful tool for solving a wide range of problems in mathematics and physics.

4. What is the relationship between contour integration and complex analysis?

Contour integration is a fundamental concept in complex analysis, which deals with complex functions and their properties. It is one of the main tools used in complex analysis to evaluate integrals and prove theorems about complex functions.

5. Can contour integration be applied to any integral?

No, contour integration can only be applied to certain types of integrals involving complex functions. It is most useful for integrals involving singularities, such as poles and branch points, where traditional methods fail. It is also commonly used in solving integrals that are difficult to evaluate using other techniques.