Contour integration with rational function and cosh

In summary, the problem is to find an integration contour that will enclose all the poles with imaginary parts >0. The solution is found using the residue theorem and the series $\frac{1}{2\pi}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{n}$.
fredoniahead
Hi All:

I am new to the site, so I thought this would be a good time to post an interesting integral I ran across that I am having a time with. It is a miscellaneous problem in Schaum's Outline of Complex Variables, #86 in ch. 7. I have been self-teaching a little CA when I get time and this one is a little more challenging than others I have encountered.

\(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(4x^{2}+\pi^{2})\cosh(x)}dx=\frac{\ln(2)}{2\pi}\)

Does anyone have a good idea of how to approach this one?.

At first, I thought perhaps a rectangular contour may do the trick, but now I am thinking perhaps a semicircular one may be in order.

It would appear there is a double pole at \(\displaystyle \frac{\pi i}{2}\).

Using the Laurent series, I think the residue is \(\displaystyle \frac{-i}{4\pi^{2}}\)

Which gives \(\displaystyle 2\pi i\left(\frac{-i}{4\pi^{2}}\right)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\)

But, how to get that ln(2)?. Maybe use \(\displaystyle \cos(ix)\) in some respect?.

Physics news on Phys.org
quantaentangled said:
Hi All:

I am new to the site, so I thought this would be a good time to post an interesting integral I ran across that I am having a time with. It is a miscellaneous problem in Schaum's Outline of Complex Variables, #86 in ch. 7. I have been self-teaching a little CA when I get time and this one is a little more challenging than others I have encountered.

\(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(4x^{2}+\pi^{2})\cosh(x)}dx=\frac{\ln(2)}{2\pi}\)

Does anyone have a good idea of how to approach this one?.

At first, I thought perhaps a rectangular contour may do the trick, but now I am thinking perhaps a semicircular one may be in order.

It would appear there is a double pole at \(\displaystyle \frac{\pi i}{2}\).

Using the Laurent series, I think the residue is \(\displaystyle \frac{-i}{4\pi^{2}}\)

Which gives \(\displaystyle 2\pi i\left(\frac{-i}{4\pi^{2}}\right)=\frac{1}{2\pi}\)

But, how to get that ln(2)?. Maybe use \(\displaystyle \cos(ix)\) in some respect?.

There are poles also for $\cosh z=0$ , i.e. for $z=i\ (2k+1)\ \frac{\pi}{2}$, not only for $z= \pm i\ \frac {\pi}{2}$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Thanks, chisigma. Yes, I know. I thought perhaps a contour could be chosen that enclosed a finite number of poles. Namely, \(\displaystyle \frac{\pi i}{2}\).

quantaentangled said:
Thanks, chisigma. Yes, I know. I thought perhaps a contour could be chosen that enclosed a finite number of poles. Namely, \(\displaystyle \frac{\pi i}{2}\).

The integration contour You have to choose is represented in red here...

View attachment 169

... so that, if R tends to infinity, all the poles with imaginary part >0 are involved...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Attachments

• MHB13.PNG
    MHB13.PNG
    618 bytes · Views: 58
I made a sub $t=\frac{\pi x}{2}$ and arrived at

$$\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(t^{2}+1)cosh(\frac{\pi t}{2})}$$

There is an identity that says $$\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(t^{2}+1)cosh(at)}dt=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{2a+(2n-1)\pi}$$.

It is derived from the poles being at $\frac{(2n-1)\pi i}{2a}$. Then, the residue turns out to be:

$\frac{(-1)^{n-1}4ia}{4a^{2}-\pi^{2}(2n-1)^{2}}$. Now, using the residue theorem and expanding gives the aforementioned series.

Letting $a=\frac{\pi}{2}$ gives $$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{2n\pi}=\frac{1}{2\pi}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{n}=\frac{ln(2)}{2\pi}$$

This is in a paper I have on hyperbolic integrals by Gradshteyn and Ryzhik. Though, it still seems to me that a rectangular contour is a possibility.

Related to Contour integration with rational function and cosh

1. What is contour integration with rational function and cosh?

Contour integration is a mathematical technique used to evaluate definite integrals of complex-valued functions along a specific path or curve on the complex plane. Rational functions are functions that can be expressed as a ratio of two polynomials, and cosh is a hyperbolic function. Therefore, contour integration with rational function and cosh involves integrating a rational function with a hyperbolic function along a chosen contour.

2. What is the importance of contour integration with rational function and cosh in mathematics?

Contour integration with rational function and cosh is important in mathematics because it allows us to evaluate complex integrals that are difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods. This technique is also used in various areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and fluid dynamics.

3. How is contour integration with rational function and cosh performed?

Contour integration with rational function and cosh involves breaking down the complex integral into simpler integrals using partial fractions, and then using the Cauchy integral formula to calculate the value of each integral. The final result is obtained by summing up the values of all the individual integrals.

4. What are some common applications of contour integration with rational function and cosh?

Contour integration with rational function and cosh has various applications in mathematics and physics. It is used to solve problems involving complex-valued functions, such as in the evaluation of improper integrals, calculating residues, and solving differential equations. It is also used in the study of complex analysis, which has applications in many fields, including engineering and economics.

5. Is there any software available for performing contour integration with rational function and cosh?

Yes, there are many software programs, such as Mathematica, Maple, and MATLAB, that have built-in functions for performing contour integration with rational function and cosh. These programs use numerical methods to approximate the value of the integral, making it easier and faster to solve complex integrals.