Contractive Mappings: Unique Fixed Point & Notation Questions

• MHB
  • Thread starter ozkan12
  • Start date
In summary, a contractive mapping is a function on a metric space that reduces the distance between any two points, also known as a contraction or contracting map. A unique fixed point for a contractive mapping is a point that remains unchanged when the mapping is applied, and it is unique because there can only be one such point. The Banach Fixed Point Theorem states that a complete metric space must have a unique fixed point for a contractive mapping. Non-contractive mappings cannot have a unique fixed point, as they may have multiple fixed points. The most common notation used for contractive mappings is the "c" notation, where "c" represents the contractive constant.
ozkan12
İn compact metric space, we know that contractive mappings have a unique fixed point...And some book I see that $card{F}_{T}\le 1$...Why we use this notation ? İn my opinion we must use $card{F}_{T}=1$ ? Have you any suggestions ? Can you help me ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Couple comments:

1. Try using the
Code:
\text{}
wrapper around things that want to look like regular text. So, for example, you'd type
Code:
\text{card} \, F_T \le 1
to obtain $\text{card} \, F_T \le 1$.

2. Second of all, could you please define this notation for us? I've never seen it before. Is it some sort of cardinality? And what is $F_T$? An operator? A contractive mapping?

I agree with you that the correct notation for the cardinality of the set of fixed points of a contractive mapping in a compact metric space should be $card(F_T)=1$, not $card(F_T)\le 1$. This is because a contractive mapping is guaranteed to have a unique fixed point in a compact metric space, so the cardinality of the set of fixed points must be exactly 1.

As for why some books may use the notation $card(F_T)\le 1$, it could be for the sake of being more general and encompassing cases where the mapping may not be strictly contractive, but still has a unique fixed point. However, in the context of compact metric spaces, it is more accurate to use $card(F_T)=1$.

I would suggest following the notation used in your specific textbook or course, but if you are still unsure, it would be best to clarify with your instructor or a more experienced mathematician. I hope this helps!

Related to Contractive Mappings: Unique Fixed Point & Notation Questions

1. What is a contractive mapping?

A contractive mapping is a function on a metric space that reduces the distance between any two points in the space. It is also known as a contraction or a contracting map.

2. What is a unique fixed point?

A unique fixed point of a contractive mapping is a point in the metric space that remains unchanged when the mapping is applied. It is unique because there can only be one such point for a contractive mapping.

3. How can I prove the existence of a unique fixed point for a contractive mapping?

The Banach Fixed Point Theorem states that if a contractive mapping is applied on a complete metric space, then it must have a unique fixed point. Therefore, to prove the existence of a unique fixed point, one must show that the metric space is complete and the mapping is contractive.

4. Can a non-contractive mapping have a unique fixed point?

No, a non-contractive mapping can have multiple fixed points, but it cannot have a unique fixed point. This is because a non-contractive mapping does not reduce the distance between points, so there can be more than one point that remains unchanged when the mapping is applied.

5. What is the notation used for contractive mappings?

The most common notation used for contractive mappings is the "c" notation, where "c" represents the contractive constant. For example, a mapping f is said to be contractive if there exists a constant c < 1 such that for any two points x and y in the metric space, the distance between f(x) and f(y) is less than c times the distance between x and y.