Coordinate-Wise Convergence in R^n .... TB&B Chapter 11, Section 11.4 ....

In summary: Your Name]In summary, Theorem 11.15 in the book "Elementary Real Analysis" (Second Edition, 2008) Volume II by Brian S. Thomson, Judith B. Bruckner, and Andrew M. Bruckner states that if a sequence of points in Euclidean spaces \mathbb{R}^n converges coordinate-wise, then it also converges in the Euclidean metric. The proof of this theorem can be found in TB&B and involves using the definition of the Euclidean metric and the convergence of coordinate sequences to show that the sequence converges in the Euclidean metric. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading the book "Elementary Real Analysis" (Second Edition, 2008) Volume II by Brian S. Thomson, Judith B. Bruckner, and Andrew M. Bruckner ... and am currently focused on Chapter 11, The Euclidean Spaces \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}^n\) ... ...

I need with the proof of Theorem 11.15 on coordinate-wise convergence of sequences in \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}^n\) ... note that the proof precedes the theorem statement in TB&B ... ...

Theorem 11.15 and its proof (as preceding notes) reads as follows:View attachment 7711
View attachment 7712Can someone please explain exactly how (8) follows from (7) ...Help will be much appreciated ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Peter.

Define the vector $y=x_{k}-x$, then apply $(7)$ to $y$ to get $(8)$.

Hi Peter,

I would be happy to help explain the proof of Theorem 11.15 for you. The theorem states that if a sequence of points in \mathbb{R}^n converges coordinate-wise, then it also converges in the Euclidean metric. The proof, as stated in TB&B, goes as follows:

First, we assume that the sequence (x_k) converges coordinate-wise to some point x = (x_1, ..., x_n). This means that for each i = 1, ..., n, the sequence (x_k^i) converges to x_i.

Next, we consider the Euclidean metric d(x_k, x). This is defined as d(x_k, x) = \sqrt{\sum_{i=1}^{n} (x_k^i - x_i)^2}.

Now, since each coordinate sequence (x_k^i) converges to x_i, we can choose a large enough k such that for all i = 1, ..., n, we have |x_k^i - x_i| < \epsilon, where \epsilon > 0 is some small number.

Using this, we can show that d(x_k, x) < \sqrt{n\epsilon^2} = \epsilon\sqrt{n}. This follows from the fact that d(x_k, x) is a sum of squares, and each square is less than or equal to \epsilon^2. Therefore, the total sum is less than or equal to n\epsilon^2.

Finally, since \epsilon\sqrt{n} is arbitrary, we can choose \epsilon to be as small as we want, which means that d(x_k, x) can be made arbitrarily small. This shows that the sequence (x_k) converges to x in the Euclidean metric, and thus proves Theorem 11.15.

I hope this helps clarify the proof for you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Coordinate-Wise Convergence in R^n .... TB&B Chapter 11, Section 11.4 ....

1. What is coordinate-wise convergence in R^n?

Coordinate-wise convergence in R^n refers to a type of convergence in which each coordinate of a sequence of vectors in R^n converges to the corresponding coordinate of a limit vector. In other words, if a sequence of vectors (xn) in R^n converges to a limit vector x, then each coordinate of (xn) converges to the corresponding coordinate of x.

2. How is coordinate-wise convergence different from other types of convergence?

Coordinate-wise convergence is different from other types of convergence, such as pointwise or uniform convergence, because it is specific to sequences of vectors in R^n. In pointwise and uniform convergence, the convergence is evaluated based on the overall behavior of the sequence, while coordinate-wise convergence focuses on the individual coordinates of the vectors.

3. What is the significance of coordinate-wise convergence in R^n?

Coordinate-wise convergence in R^n is important in understanding the behavior of sequences of vectors in higher dimensional spaces. It allows us to study the convergence of each individual coordinate, which can be useful in applications such as optimization and control theory.

4. How is coordinate-wise convergence related to the topology of R^n?

Coordinate-wise convergence is closely related to the product topology on R^n, where the open sets are defined as the Cartesian product of open intervals in each coordinate. This topology is used to define the concept of convergence in R^n, and coordinate-wise convergence is a special case of this convergence.

5. Can coordinate-wise convergence be used to prove convergence in other types of spaces?

Yes, coordinate-wise convergence can be used to prove convergence in other types of spaces, such as Banach spaces. This is because many of the convergence results in R^n can be extended to other spaces using similar techniques. However, it should be noted that coordinate-wise convergence may not always be sufficient to prove convergence in other spaces, and other convergence criteria may need to be applied.