Dark current and dark count in photon collection devices

In summary: There really isn't any published indication on why such a thing happens. There are way too many variables involved: surface roughness, uneven heating, variation in vapor pressure, etc...etc.Many thanks for your input.
Emperor42
Does anyone know of a simple relation between dark current and dark count in photon collection devices?

Physics news on Phys.org
For a CCD, the dark charge is just the dark current times the integration time. There is an amplifier which converts the charge to a voltage that will be read by an ADC. The gain on the amplifier will affect the dark counts. Many cameras have multiple settings for system gain, perhaps 1 count per electron, 1 count per 2 electrons, etc. The total noise is some combination of the dark noise, the read noise, and the shot noise.

Likes russ_watters
Emperor42 said:
Does anyone know of a simple relation between dark current and dark count in photon collection devices?

Khashishi had a good explanation. I'd just add that temperature matters and that each pixel in a CCD or other detector has it's own relation between integration time, temperature, and dark current/dark count. If you take a dark frame (a picture with the shutter closed so you just capture an image of the dark current and bias) you'll see that some pixels are well above or below the average dark count. The pixels that are well above it are known as "hot pixels" and the ones well below the average are "cold pixels" if memory serves.

The best way to estimate the dark count is to look at the specifications of the device and find out how many electrons per second per degree are generated on average and what the gain of the detector is. Then you should be able to calculate the dark count.

Emperor42 said:

This is very device-dependent. Even within the same type of device, such as a phototube, the dark counts often vary noticeably. I've made antimonide-based phototube and even within the same processing run, the QE and dark counts of each phototube in the same batch often vary.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
This is very device-dependent. Even within the same type of device, such as a phototube, the dark counts often vary noticeably. I've made antimonide-based phototube and even within the same processing run, the QE and dark counts of each phototube in the same batch often vary.

Zz.

Do you happen to have a link explaining why the same processing run produces drastically different QE and dark counts in these types of devices (and others like CMOS and CCD)? I'm afraid my one class in semiconductor physics didn't get that in-depth.

Drakkith said:
Do you happen to have a link explaining why the same processing run produces drastically different QE

Too much eye of newt and not enough wool of bat.

As you might guess, this is not well understood, and there are economic incentives for companies like Hamamatsu not to share any tricks they might have learned. But they don't have it entirely under control either, as two different tubes from the same batch may behave very differently.

Likes Drakkith
Drakkith said:
Do you happen to have a link explaining why the same processing run produces drastically different QE and dark counts in these types of devices (and others like CMOS and CCD)? I'm afraid my one class in semiconductor physics didn't get that in-depth.

There really isn't any published indication on why such a thing happens. There are way too many variables involved: surface roughness, uneven heating, variation in vapor pressure, etc...etc.

And this is not confined only to phototubes. I make photocathodes for accelerators, and even with identical recipes and conditions, we get a range of QE for the photocathodes that we produce. One would imagine that photocathodes having different QE will also influence the conditions that dark current is produced, resulting in similar type of variation.

Zz.

Likes Drakkith

Related to Dark current and dark count in photon collection devices

1. What is dark current in photon collection devices?

Dark current is the unwanted electrical current that flows through a photon collection device even when no photons are being detected. It is typically caused by thermal energy and can lead to false readings and decreased sensitivity in the device.

2. How does dark current affect the performance of photon collection devices?

Dark current can decrease the signal-to-noise ratio in a photon collection device, making it more difficult to detect and accurately measure photons. It can also cause a build-up of charge, leading to saturation of the device and a decrease in its dynamic range.

3. What is dark count in photon collection devices?

Dark count is the number of false detections or counts recorded by a photon collection device due to dark current. It can be measured by recording counts when no photons are present and subtracting this value from the total count when photons are present.

4. How can dark count be reduced in photon collection devices?

Dark count can be reduced by cooling the device, as lower temperatures decrease the thermal energy that causes dark current. Additionally, using materials with lower dark current, such as silicon, and optimizing the device's design can also help reduce dark count.

5. Is it possible to completely eliminate dark count in photon collection devices?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate dark count in photon collection devices. However, it can be minimized through careful design and optimization, as well as temperature control. Additionally, dark count can be accounted for and corrected for in data analysis techniques.