Differentiation wrt integral boundaries

Your Name]In summary, if $f$ and $g$ are continuous functions with continuous partial derivatives and $h$ is continuous, then the function $m(x)$ defined by taking the integral of $f$ and $g$ over certain sets will be differentiable. However, if $h$ is not continuous, additional assumptions may be needed to guarantee the differentiability of $m(x)$.
nickstern
Hi:Let $f,g$ and $h$ be continuous real valued function with domain $X \times Y$ where $X$ and $Y$ are compact sets.
Let me define the set
$S(x) = \{ y : h(y,x) \geq 0 \} $
and
$\bar{S}(x) = \{ y : h(y,x) \leq 0 \} $

Also for any $(x,y) \in X \times Y $ such that $h(y,x)=0$, it holds $f(y,x)=g(y,x)$

Let the function $m$ be defined as:
\begin{equation*}
m(x) = \int_{y \in S(x)} f(y,x) dy + \int_{y \in \bar{S}(x)} g(y,x) dy
\end{equation*}I can differentiate the term inside the integral if $f$ and $g$ and their partial derivatives are continuous in $x$ and $y$

What I do not know is the assumptions required on $h$ to have $m$ differentiable.
My intuition is that since at every point where $h(y,x)=0, f(y,x)=g(y,x)$ differentiation with respect to the limits of the integral is not a problem but I want to make the argument formal.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Nick

Physics news on Phys.org
Dear Nick,

Thank you for your post. Your intuition is correct - if $h$ is continuous and $f$ and $g$ are continuous and have continuous partial derivatives, then $m$ will be differentiable. This can be seen by applying the Leibniz integral rule, which states that if a function $F(x,y)$ is continuous and has continuous partial derivatives, then $\frac{d}{dx}\int_{a(x)}^{b(x)}F(x,y)dy = \int_{a(x)}^{b(x)}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}F(x,y)dy + F(b(x),x)\frac{db}{dx}-F(a(x),x)\frac{da}{dx}$.

In your case, $F(x,y) = f(y,x)$ when $h(y,x) \geq 0$ and $F(x,y) = g(y,x)$ when $h(y,x) \leq 0$. Since $f$ and $g$ have continuous partial derivatives, $\frac{\partial}{\partial x}F(x,y)$ will also be continuous and thus $m(x)$ will be differentiable.

However, if $h$ is not continuous, then the Leibniz integral rule may not apply and it may not be possible to guarantee the differentiability of $m(x)$. In this case, additional assumptions on the behavior of $h$ may be necessary.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Differentiation wrt integral boundaries

1. What is differentiation with respect to integral boundaries?

Differentiation with respect to integral boundaries is a mathematical technique used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to the boundaries of an integral. It involves taking the derivative of a function with respect to one or both of the integral boundaries.

2. Why is differentiation with respect to integral boundaries important?

Differentiation with respect to integral boundaries is important because it allows us to solve problems that involve finding the rate of change of a function with respect to the boundaries of an integral. This can be useful in areas such as physics, economics, and engineering.

3. How do you differentiate with respect to integral boundaries?

To differentiate with respect to integral boundaries, we use the chain rule. This involves taking the derivative of the integrand with respect to the variable of integration and then multiplying it by the derivative of the upper or lower limit of the integral with respect to the variable of integration.

4. Can you provide an example of differentiation with respect to integral boundaries?

Sure, let's say we have the integral ∫(2x+5)dx from 0 to 3. To differentiate with respect to the upper boundary, we would take the derivative of 2x+5 with respect to x, which is 2. Then, we would multiply it by the derivative of 3 with respect to x, which is 0. So the final result is 2(0) = 0.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when differentiating with respect to integral boundaries?

One common mistake is forgetting to use the chain rule and simply taking the derivative of the integrand with respect to the variable of integration. Another mistake is mixing up the upper and lower boundaries, which can lead to incorrect results. It's also important to remember to include the differential, dx, when differentiating with respect to integral boundaries.