Evaluating Contour Integral $f(z)$ Around $|z|=1$ Circle

• MHB
  • Thread starter polygamma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of a function $f(z)$ around the right half of a circle $|z|=1$ with contour $C$, which is closed with a vertical segment. The integrand has branch points at $z=i, z=-i$, and $z=0$, so cuts are made along the positive and negative imaginary axes and the negative real axis. Under certain restrictions on the parameters, the branch points are weak. The resulting integral is equal to $2i\sin\left(\frac{\pi(a-b)}{2}\right)\int_{0}^{1}t^{a-b-1}\left(1-t^{2}\right)^{b}\ dt$. However, there is
polygamma
I want to evaluate $ f(z) = z^{a-1} (z + z^{-1})^{b} \ \ (a > b >-1) $ around the right half of the circle $|z|=1$ (call it $C$).

I closed the contour with the vertical segment from $z=i$ to $z=-i$.

The integrand has branch points at $z=i, z=-i$, and $z=0$. So I made a cut along the positive imaginary axis from $i$ to $i \infty$, a cut along the negative imaginary axis from $-i$ to $-i \infty$, and a cut along the negative real axis (including the origin).

Under the restrictions placed on the parameters, all of the branch points are weak.

And it should be that $ \int_{C}z^{a-1}\left( z+z^{-1}\right)^{b}\ dz = 2i \sin\left(\frac{\pi(a-b)}{2}\right)\int_{0}^{1}t^{a-b-1}\left(1-t^{2}\right)^{b}\ dt$.

What I get is $\int_{C}z^{a-1}\left( z+z^{-1}\right)^{b}\ dz + \int_{1}^{0}(it)^{a-1}\left( it+(it)^{-1}\right)^{b}i \ dt - \int_{0}^{1}(-it)^{a-1}\left( -it+(-it)^{-1}\right)^{b}i \ dt = 0 $

or $\int_{C}z^{a-1}\left( z+z^{-1}\right)^{b}\ dz = i \ i^{a-b}\int_{0}^{1}t^{a-b-1}\left(1-t^{2}\right)^{b}\ dt + (-1)^{a+b-1} i \ i^{a-b}\int_{0}^{1}t^{a-b-1}\left(1-t^{2}\right)^{b}\ dt$

$ = i e^{i \pi \frac{(a-b)}{2}} \Big( \int_{0}^{1}t^{a-b-1}\left(1-t^{2}\right)^{b}\ dt + (-1)^{a+b-1} \int_{0}^{1}t^{a-b-1}\left(1-t^{2}\right)^{b}\ dt \Big)$

Now comes the part that has me completely confused. On that part of the contour does $-1= e^{i \pi}$ or does $-1 = e^{- i \pi}$? It can't be both due to the cut along the negative real axis. The latter leads to the correct answer. But I don't know why it's necessarily the latter.EDIT: I think this strange issue is the result of not being careful with the parametrization of the contour.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Because of the branch cut along the negative real axis, I should have been careful and said

$\int_{C}z^{a-1}\left( z+z^{-1}\right)^{b}\ dz + \int_{1}^{0}(e^{\frac{i \pi}{2}})^{a-1}\left( te^{\frac{i \pi}{2}}+(e^{\frac{i \pi}{2}})^{-1}\right)^{b} e^{\frac{i \pi}{2}} \ dt + \int_{0}^{1}(te^{\frac{- i \pi}{2}})^{a-1}\left( te^{\frac{- i \pi}{2}}+(te^{\frac{- i \pi}{2}})^{-1}\right)^{b}e^{\frac{-i \pi}{2}} \ dt = 0$

and then I don't run into that problem

Last edited:

Related to Evaluating Contour Integral $f(z)$ Around $|z|=1$ Circle

1. What is a contour integral?

A contour integral is a type of integral in complex analysis that is used to evaluate the integral of a complex-valued function over a given curve or contour. It is similar to a line integral in multivariable calculus, but instead of integrating over a straight line, it integrates over a more complex path or curve.

2. Why is it important to evaluate contour integrals?

Contour integrals are important because they allow us to solve a variety of problems in complex analysis, including finding the values of complex functions, calculating areas and volumes, and determining the behavior of functions at specific points. They also have applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

3. What is the significance of evaluating a contour integral around a circle?

Evaluating a contour integral around a circle is significant because it allows us to calculate the value of a complex function at all points on the circle, rather than just at one point. This can give us a better understanding of the behavior of the function and can also be used to solve other problems, such as finding the area enclosed by the circle.

4. How is a contour integral around a circle evaluated?

To evaluate a contour integral around a circle, we use the Cauchy integral formula, which states that the value of the integral is equal to the function evaluated at the center of the circle multiplied by the circumference of the circle. This formula can be extended to more complex curves, but for a circle, it simplifies to a simple multiplication.

5. What are some applications of evaluating contour integrals around a circle?

Some applications of evaluating contour integrals around a circle include calculating the areas and volumes of circular shapes, computing the values of complex functions at all points on the circle, and finding the residues of a function at a pole located inside the circle. It can also be used to solve problems in physics, such as calculating the electric field of a charged circular disk.