Exchanging derivative and improper integral

In summary, Daniel said that the two expressions for the derivative and integral are always equal as long as the integrals on both sides exist. Although this may seem obvious, it is worth remembering as there are some functions which do not satisfy this condition.
Galileo
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I was wondering. When is the following legal?

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\int_{-\infty}^{\+\infty}f(x,y)dx=\int_{-\infty}^{\+\infty}\frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial y}dx[/tex]

I know the rule when the limits of integration are bounded, but here there are four limits involved. One for the derivative, one for the integral and two for the 2 limits of integration which go to infinity and -infinity.

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as the integrals on both sides EXIST the equation is true.

It is possible, for rather special f, for one of the integrals to exist while the other doesn't.

HallsofIvy said:
As long as the integrals on both sides EXIST the equation is true.

It is possible, for rather special f, for one of the integrals to exist while the other doesn't.

May I ask for more?

It seems to me that the partial must be exponentially decaying for the integral to exist. However, are there other functions which make the integral converge but are "less severe" then exponentially decaying? Is 1/(x^2) exp. decaying?

What constraints must be imposed on the function f(x) itself for the relation to hold? Can we just say that it'd derivative must be like I suggested above or is there some other criteria? Do I need to just review this too?

Well, f(x,y) = (y.exp{-x^2} + 1/x), does that satisfy your question? The integral on the LHS would not exist, but the integral on the right would. And, no 1/x^2 doesn't decay exponentially, that is (k^x)/(x^2) would not tend to a constant as x tends to infinity (k larger than 1).

saltydog said:
May I ask for more?

It seems to me that the partial must be exponentially decaying for the integral to exist.

Take [itex] f(x,y)=\frac{1}{x^{2}y^{2}+3} [/itex] and c what happens.

saltydog said:
However, are there other functions which make the integral converge but are "less severe" then exponentially decaying?

I've just given u an example.

saltydog said:
Is 1/(x^2) exp. decaying?

What do you think...? :rolleyes:

saltydog said:
What constraints must be imposed on the function f(x) itself for the relation to hold?

That the
[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f(x,y) dx [/tex]

doesn't "blow up"...And that the function "f" should never "blow up" and the same with its first order derivatives...

saltydog said:
Do I need to just review this too?

No,u need to review the exponential function... :wink:

Daniel.

matt grime said:
Well, f(x,y) = (y.exp{-x^2} + 1/x), does that satisfy your question? The integral on the LHS would not exist, but the integral on the right would. And, no 1/x^2 doesn't decay exponentially, that is (k^x)/(x^2) would not tend to a constant as x tends to infinity (k larger than 1).

But if the integral on LHS doesn't exist then you can't take the partial of it right? Thus, only if the LHS integral exists, then under what conditions imposed on f(x,y) will the relation hold? I'll review.

Alright, I read Daniel's too. Thanks guys. I'll work your example through as well as some others and also review def of "exp. decay".

Salty

Last edited:
Well, for:

[itex] f(x,y)=\frac{1}{x^{2}y^{2}+3} [/itex]

I proved by direct substitution:

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\int_{-\infty}^{\+\infty}f(x,y)dx=\int_{-\infty}^{\+\infty}\frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial y}dx[/tex]

It wasn't easy for me . I ain't proud.

Salty

Last edited:
No,for anyone it would have been as difficult as it was for you...Such integrals are not too simple and only a computer can do them in record time.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
No,for anyone it would have been as difficult as it was for you...Such integrals are not too simple and only a computer can do them in record time.

Daniel.

Well, I did eventually use Mathematica to get the antiderivative for the RHS, but I did use my own reasoning to assess the limits.

Thanks,
Salty

That's not good...You could have done it without the computer.It doesn't really matter.Hopefully you'll get clarified with the exponential decay,as i think it's more important.

Daniel.

Ofcourse, I meant for an ordinary derivative sign on the left side:

[tex]\frac{d}{dy}\int_{-\infty}^{\+\infty}f(x,y)dx=\int_{-\infty}^{\+\infty}\frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial y}dx[/tex]

Anyway, any ideas on how to prove this?

dextercioby said:
That's not good...You could have done it without the computer.It doesn't really matter.Hopefully you'll get clarified with the exponential decay,as i think it's more important.

Daniel.

I figured I'd loose the thumbs up.

That's a hard integral and it looked like parts and also I really want to continue working on residues for another post.

Salty

I am a little surprized by the assertion of Halls of Ivy that the two expressions are equal whenever they both exist, as I cannot find any reference for such a strong statement in my tiny library of analysis books. Can you give me one?

Counterexamples seem to exist to even the finite interval case for such a strong assertion, viz. Gelbaum and Olmsted, Counterexamples in analysis, page 123, the function f(x,y) = (x^3/y^2) e^(-x^2/y), if y > 0, and 0, if y = 0.

defined in the closed upper half plane y ≥ 0. The problem is this function, although continuous in each variable separately, is not continuous at (0,0) as a function of two variables. Then the integral from y=0 to y=1, of (∂f/∂x)(0,y) dy is zero, while d/dx of the integral of f(x,y)dy evaluated at x =0, is 1.

(Note the roles of the variables x and y are interchanged from the case here.)

Is there something different about the open interval case?

actually here is a simpler example given me by a friend, that seems to work in the present setting as well:

let f(x,y) = 1, if 0≤ y ≤ 1, and 0 ≤ x ≤ y^2 (1-y)^2,
and f(x,y) = 0 elsewhere.

Then for fixed x, as a function of y, this is equal to 1 at most on a short interval and zero elsewhere. Hence, given any y, for all but at most one x, the derivative ∂/∂y(f(x,y)) exists and is zero. In particular the integral wrt x, over the whole real line, of the derivative ∂/∂y(f(x,y)) is zero as a function of y.

On the other hand, for fixed y between 0 and 1, the integral wrt x, over the whole real line, equals y^2 (1-y)^2, while for other y, it equals zero. Thus the derivative d/dy of the integral of f(x,y)dx equals 2y(1-y)(1-2y), for 0 ≤ y ≤ 1, and 0 elsewhere.

hence the integral of the derivative does not equal the derivative of the integral.

Does this seem ok? I am pretty weak at real analysis.

Last edited:
If the interval is finite, equality holds if f(x,y) is continuous and if [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial y}f(x,y)[/itex] is also continuous.
I know how to prove that theorem. It just seems to me that this is a different case, since you are interchanging not 2 limits, but 4. The limit for the derivative comes last in the LHS, but is first on the RHS.
Since the order in which limits are taken may not always be interchanged, I just thought it was natural this case has to be treated differently.

the usual hypothesis seems to be, by analogy with the continuity hypothesis on f(x,y) and on ∂f/∂y, that these same two functions are at least bounded above in absolute value by some integrable functions. and maybe the derivative ∂f/∂y should exist everywhere for almost all x.

this stuff is confusing to me.

Last edited:
Hmm, who about this:
[tex]\lim_{y \to b}\lim_{x \to a}f(x,y)=\lim_{x \to a}\lim_{y \to b}f(x,y)=f(a,b)[/tex]
if f(x,y) is continuous.

Now if
[tex]\lim_{x \to \pm\infty}f(x,y)[/tex]
exists and if f(x,y) is continuous, then
[tex]\lim_{x_1 \to -\infty}\lim_{x_2 \to \infty}\int_{x_1}^{x_2}f(x,y)dx=H(y)[/tex]
is still simply a continuous function of y.

So

[tex]\frac{d}{dy}\left(\lim_{x_1 \to -\infty}\lim_{x_2 \to \infty}\int_{x_1}^{x_2}f(x,y)dx\right)=\lim_{h \to 0}\frac{H(y+h)-H(y)}{h}=[/tex]
[tex]\lim_{x_1 \to -\infty}\lim_{x_2 \to \infty}\left(\lim_{h \to 0}\int_{x_1}^{x_2}\frac{f(x,y+h)-f(x,y)}{h}dx\right)[/tex]
where the last step uses the continuity of H(y).
So now we can use our old (Leibniz') theorem for finite intervals.

The restrictions are that f(x,y) and [itex]f_y(x,y)[/itex] are uniformly continuous on a 'strip' [itex]-\infty <x <\infty, \quad -\alpha \leq y \leq \beta[/itex].
So that it holds for all y in [itex](\alpha,\beta)[/itex].

EDIT: Oh yeah, and all the limits have to exist. :wink:

Last edited:
you are using the usual hypotheses that both f and ∂f/y be continuous in some form. That was my point, that the problem is not with the size of the interval of integration, but with the lack of global hypotheses on f. If you want to use lebesgue integration, you can relax these hypotheses somewhat as discussed in any standard book on analysis, like Rudin [Real and Complex Analysis], or Lang [Real Analysis], or Dieudonne [Foundations of Modern analysis, vol 2], using "dominated convergence".

Just in case someone hits this from google (like I did), I have a reference.

Buck, in Advanced Calculus, says:

Theorem If [itex]\int_c^\infty f(x,u) \, du[/itex] converges to [itex]F(x)[/itex] for all x, [itex]a \leq x \leq b[/itex], and if f and [itex]f_1 = \partial f/\partial x[/itex] are continuous for [itex]a \leq x \leq b, c \leq u < \infty[/itex], and if [itex]\int_c^\infty f_1(x,u) \, du[/itex] is uniformly convergent for x in [itex][a,b][/itex], then for any x in [itex][a,b][/itex],

[tex] F'(x) = \frac{d}{dx} \int_c^\infty f(x,u) \, du = \int_c^\infty f_1(x,u) \, du [/tex]

Related to Exchanging derivative and improper integral

What is the difference between a derivative and an improper integral?

A derivative is a mathematical expression that shows the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It represents the slope of a curve at that point. On the other hand, an improper integral is an integral that has one or both limits of integration as infinite or has a function that approaches infinity within the interval.

How is the exchange between a derivative and an improper integral possible?

The exchange between a derivative and an improper integral is possible because they are both related to the concept of a limit. A derivative is the limit of the ratio of change in the function to the change in the independent variable, while an improper integral is the limit of a definite integral as one or both limits of integration approach infinity.

What are the applications of exchanging between derivatives and improper integrals?

The exchange between derivatives and improper integrals is useful in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and finance. It allows us to solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and area under a curve, among others.

Can any function be exchanged between a derivative and an improper integral?

No, not all functions can be exchanged between a derivative and an improper integral. The function must satisfy certain criteria, such as being continuous and having a finite number of discontinuities, for the exchange to be valid.

What are some common techniques for exchanging between derivatives and improper integrals?

Some common techniques for exchanging between derivatives and improper integrals include using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, integration by parts, and substitution. These techniques help us evaluate the integral or the derivative and then exchange them to solve the problem at hand.