Exploring Power Series for Sequences and Series: How to Solve 1a, 1c, and 1f?

• MHB
  • Thread starter nacho-man
  • Start date
In summary, this person did not understand the answer to question 1a, but was able to understand the answer to question 1c and 1f.
nacho-man
Please refer to the attached image.

How do I do these questions, In particular
1a, 1c and 1f.

Could anyone give me a hint to get me started with either of these?

Thanks.

Attachments

• q3.png
    q3.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 59
Physics news on Phys.org
nacho said:
Please refer to the attached image.

How do I do these questions, In particular
1a, 1c and 1f.

Could anyone give me a hint to get me started with either of these?

Thanks.

Don't let the $i$'s get to you! For instance, in 1(a), $\displaystyle\sum_{j=0}^{\infty} \left(\frac{i}{3}\right)^j$ is geometric since $\left|\dfrac{i}{3}\right| = \dfrac{|i|}{3} = \dfrac{1}{3} < 1$.

Note that you can rewrite 1(c) as $\displaystyle\sum_{j=0}^{\infty}\left(-\frac{2}{3}\right)^j$.

Note that 1(f) is a telescoping sum; with that said, we see that

\[\sum_{j=0}^{\infty} \left[\frac{1}{j+2} - \frac{1}{j+1}\right] = \lim_{n\to\infty} \sum_{j=0}^n \left[\frac{1}{j+2} - \frac{1}{j+1}\right] = \ldots\]

Thanks for that.

Although, for
1a) it says that the sum of the series is
$\frac{1}{1-\frac{i}{3}}$ $ = $ $\frac{9+3i}{10}$

Why is this? I am unsure how they get to the first term of $\frac{1}{1-\frac{i}{3}}$

nacho said:
Thanks for that.

Although, for
1a) it says that the sum of the series is
$\frac{1}{1-\frac{i}{3}}$ $ = $ $\frac{9+3i}{10}$

Why is this? I am unsure how they get to the first term of $\frac{1}{1-\frac{i}{3}}$

Note that

\[\frac{1}{1-\dfrac{i}{3}} = \frac{3}{3\left(1-\dfrac{i}{3}\right)} = \frac{3}{3-i}\]

Now conjugate and you'll get the desired result.

Chris L T521 said:
Note that

\[\frac{1}{1-\dfrac{i}{3}} = \frac{3}{3\left(1-\dfrac{i}{3}\right)} = \frac{3}{3-i}\]

Now conjugate and you'll get the desired result.

this i understood,
what i did not know was how they arrived at the sum being equal to
$\frac{1}{1-\dfrac{i}{3}}$

Use that power series

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{1-z} = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}z^k \,\,\,\,\,\,\, |z|<1\)

ZaidAlyafey said:
Use that power series

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{1-z} = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}z^k \,\,\,\,\,\,\, |z|<1\)

thanks!

Related to Exploring Power Series for Sequences and Series: How to Solve 1a, 1c, and 1f?

1. What is a sequence/series?

A sequence is a list of numbers that follow a specific pattern or rule, while a series is the sum of terms in a sequence. In other words, a series is the result of adding all the numbers in a sequence.

2. What is the difference between an arithmetic and geometric sequence/series?

In an arithmetic sequence, each term is obtained by adding a constant number to the previous term. In a geometric sequence, each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a constant number. Similarly, in an arithmetic series, the sum of terms is calculated by adding a constant number to each term, while in a geometric series, the sum is calculated by multiplying each term by a constant number.

3. How do you find the nth term of a sequence?

To find the nth term of a sequence, you need to identify the pattern or rule followed by the sequence. Once you have identified the pattern, you can use it to find the value of the nth term by substituting the value of n into the rule.

4. How do you find the sum of a finite series?

To find the sum of a finite series, you can use the formula S = (n/2)(a + l), where S is the sum, n is the number of terms, a is the first term, and l is the last term. Alternatively, you can also use the formula S = (n/2)(2a + (n-1)d), where d is the common difference for an arithmetic series, or S = (a(1-r^n))/(1-r), where r is the common ratio for a geometric series.

5. How are sequences/series used in real life?

Sequences and series are used in various fields, including mathematics, physics, and computer science. In mathematics, they are used to model and solve problems related to growth, decay, and patterns. In physics, they are used to describe and predict the behavior of natural phenomena. In computer science, they are used in algorithms and data structures to efficiently store and process large amounts of data.