Exponent of convergence of a sequence of complex numbers

In summary, the exponent of convergence of a sequence of non-zero complex numbers is defined as the positive number $b$, such that the infinite series $\sum_{j=1}^{+\infty}\frac{1}{|z_j|^{\rho}}$ converges. In the given conversation, the function $f(z)=e^{e^z}-1$ is considered and its zeros, denoted as $\{z_j\}$, and their exponent of convergence are to be found. The equation $e^{e^z}=1$ is solved, resulting in $z=log(2n_1\pi i)+2n_2\pi i$ for $n_1,n_2$ integer, where
pantboio
Def. Let $\{z_j\}$ be a sequence of non-zero complex numbers. We call the exponent of convergence of the sequence the positive number $b$, if it exists,
$$b=inf\{\rho >0 :\sum_{j=1}^{+\infty}\frac{1}{|z_j|^{\rho}}<\infty \}$$

Now consider the function
$$f(z)=e^{e^z}-1$$
Find the zeros $\{z_j\}$ of $f$ and their exponent of convergence.

This is what i did: we have to solve the equation:
$$e^{e^z}=1$$
thus
$$e^z=2n_1\pi i$$
for $n_1$ integer not zero.
We have
$$z=log(2n_1\pi i)+2n_2\pi i$$
with $n_2$ integer.

Now i think the exponent is $\infty$, as we have a $log$, but i don't know how to formalize it. In particular, i have the problem to enumerate the $z_j's$, since each of them has two integers $n_1,n_2$ and i can't see how to express
$$\sum_{j=1}^{+\infty}\frac{1}{|z_j|}$$
Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think i was completely wrong, indeed let $\{z_j\}$ the sequence of zeros of $f(z)=e^{e^z}-1$. We said that these points are of the type
$$z_{n_1,n_2}=log(2n_1\pi i)+2n_2\pi i$$
for $n_1,n_2$ integers, $n_1$ non-zero. Hence their modules are
$$\left((log|2n_1\pi|)^2+\frac{(4n_2+1)^2\pi^2}{4}\right)^{\frac{1}{2}}$$
which is asymptotic to $n_2$ for $n_1,n_2$ big enough. Therefore i think the convergence exponent to be 1$

pantboio said:
I think i was completely wrong, indeed let $\{z_j\}$ the sequence of zeros of $f(z)=e^{e^z}-1$. We said that these points are of the type
$$z_{n_1,n_2}=log(2n_1\pi i)+2n_2\pi i$$
for $n_1,n_2$ integers, $n_1$ non-zero. Hence their modules are
$$\left((log|2n_1\pi|)^2+\frac{(4n_2+1)^2\pi^2}{4}\right)^{\frac{1}{2}}$$
which is asymptotic to $n_2$ for $n_1,n_2$ big enough. Therefore i think the convergence exponent to be 1$
I think you were right first time, to guess that the exponent is infinite. If you look at the subsequence of $\{z_{n_1,n_2}\}$ for which $n_2=0$, you see that $|z_{n_1,0}|\approx\log(2\pi n_1).$ That subsequence tends to infinity slower than any positive power of $n_1.$ In particular, $|z_{n_1,0}|< n_1^{1/\rho}$, from which it follows that $\displaystyle\sum_{n_1}\frac1{|z_{n_1,0}|^\rho} > \sum_{n_1}\frac1{n_1}$, which diverges. If a subsequence diverges then a fortiori the whole sequence diverges.

Related to Exponent of convergence of a sequence of complex numbers

1. What is the definition of "exponent of convergence"?

The exponent of convergence of a sequence of complex numbers is the power to which a common ratio between consecutive terms of the sequence approaches as the sequence approaches infinity. It is used to determine the rate at which a sequence of complex numbers converges or diverges.

2. How is the exponent of convergence calculated?

The exponent of convergence is typically calculated by taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio between consecutive terms in the sequence. If this limit is less than 1, the exponent of convergence is the power to which the ratio approaches. If the limit is equal to 1, the sequence is said to have a linear convergence and the exponent of convergence is equal to 1.

3. What does a larger exponent of convergence indicate?

A larger exponent of convergence indicates a faster rate of convergence. This means that the terms in the sequence are approaching the limit more quickly and the sequence is more likely to converge. Conversely, a smaller exponent of convergence indicates a slower rate of convergence and a higher likelihood of divergence.

4. Can the exponent of convergence be negative?

Yes, the exponent of convergence can be negative. This indicates that the sequence is diverging rather than converging. A negative exponent of convergence typically indicates an exponential or oscillating pattern in the sequence.

5. How is the exponent of convergence used in complex analysis?

The exponent of convergence is used in complex analysis to study the behavior of complex sequences and their limits. It is an important tool for determining the convergence or divergence of sequences and can also provide information about the rate of convergence. It is also used in the study of complex power series and their radii of convergence.