Integral = 2pi sum res UHP + pi i sum res real axis

In summary, the given integral is equal to 2πi times the sum of the residues at poles in the upper half plane, plus πi times the sum of the residues at poles on the real axis. However, since all the poles are on the real axis, we only need to consider the sum of the residues at those points. Using the method of residues, we find that the integral is equal to i/π. However, the actual solution is 2/π. This discrepancy may be due to confusion in the sign when finding the residues.
Dustinsfl
\(\DeclareMathOperator{\Ima}{Im}\)
\(\DeclareMathOperator{\Res}{Res}\)
Given
\[
\Ima\left[\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{e^{iz}}{z(\pi^2 - z^2)}dz\right].
\]
I know the integral is equal to
\[
2\pi i\sum_{\text{UHP}}\Res(f(z); z_j) + \pi i\sum_{\mathbb{R}\text{ axis}}\Res(f(z); z_k).
\]
However, the poles are \(z = 0\) and \(z = \pm\pi\) which are all on the real axis so we just have the sum on the real axis.
\[
\pi i\sum\lim_{z\to z_j}(z - z_j)\frac{e^{iz}}{z(\pi^2 - z^2)} =
\pi i\left[\frac{1}{\pi^2} + \frac{1}{2\pi^2} - \frac{1}{2\pi^2}\right] = \frac{i}{\pi}
\]
However, the solution is \(\frac{2}{\pi}\). What is wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try the following

\(\displaystyle \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\frac{e^{iz}}{z(z^2-\pi^2)}\, dz\)

what do you get ?

ZaidAlyafey said:
Try the following

\(\displaystyle \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\frac{e^{iz}}{z(z^2-\pi^2)}\, dz\)

what do you get ?

If you do that, you need to pick up a negative sign out front then though.

In Mathematica, that integral is \(-\frac{2}{\pi}\).

I mean try finding the integral by residues , you will see where your confusion is.

ZaidAlyafey said:
I mean try finding the integral by residues , you will see where your confusion is.

That didn't help.

By residues we have

\(\displaystyle \lim_{z\to \pi }(z-\pi) \frac{e^{iz}}{z(\pi^2-z^2)}=\lim_{z\to \pi } \frac{e^{iz}}{-z(z+\pi)}=\frac{1}{2\pi^2}\)

Also we have

\(\displaystyle \lim_{z\to -\pi }(z+\pi) \frac{e^{iz}}{z(\pi^2-z^2)}=\lim_{z\to - \pi } \frac{e^{i\pi}}{z(\pi-z)}=\frac{1}{2\pi^2}\)

So they don't cancel.

Last edited:

Related to Integral = 2pi sum res UHP + pi i sum res real axis

1. What is the meaning of "Integral = 2pi sum res UHP + pi i sum res real axis"?

The equation represents the Cauchy Residue Theorem, which is a mathematical theorem used to evaluate complex integrals. It states that the value of an integral around a closed curve is equal to the sum of the residues of singularities within the curve.

2. How is the integral calculated using the Cauchy Residue Theorem?

The integral is calculated by first identifying the singularities within the curve, which are points where the function is not defined or becomes infinite. Then, the residues at these points are calculated, which are the values of the function at these points. Finally, the residues are summed up and multiplied by 2pi for singularities in the upper half-plane and by pi i for singularities on the real axis.

3. What is the difference between a singularity in the upper half-plane and a singularity on the real axis?

A singularity in the upper half-plane is a point in the complex plane with a positive imaginary part, while a singularity on the real axis is a point with zero imaginary part. The difference is important because it determines the factor by which the residue is multiplied in the Cauchy Residue Theorem.

4. Can the Cauchy Residue Theorem be used for any complex integral?

No, the Cauchy Residue Theorem can only be used for integrals that satisfy certain conditions, such as having a finite number of singularities within the curve and being analytic (having a derivative) everywhere except at the singularities.

5. What are some practical applications of the Cauchy Residue Theorem?

The theorem has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is commonly used to solve integrals in complex analysis, to compute probabilities in statistics, and to analyze electric circuits in electrical engineering. It also has applications in fields such as fluid dynamics, quantum mechanics, and signal processing.