Fiber bundle homeomorphism with the fiber

WWGD said:
Maybe the manifolds themselves only have a topological structure, not a differentiable one?
Yes, in that case (topological manifolds alone) the isomorphism is actually an homeomorphism.

Btw up to dimension 3, every topological manifold admits a differentiable structure and all these structures are equivalent.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cianfa72 said:
Yes, I'm keeping study Tu's book.

In particular at the end of section 12.3 he talks of isomorphism between vector bundles over the same manifold ##\mathbb M##. But the manifold ##\mathbb M## in general may not have a vector space structure, so why he talks of isomorphisms and non just diffeomorphism ? Thanks.
The cylinder and the mobius strip are two different vector bundles over the base manifold of the circle. The cylinder is a trivial bundle and the Mobius strip is not. They are not isomorphic. I would work through Lee's chapter on vector bundles because it goes more in depth.

Basically, different vector bundles can be twisted in different ways over the base space, but locally it is like a product manifold. I think you need to build up intuition as to what twisting means here. Essentially it means that our patches above open sets on M where we can define local trivializations are different. With the cylinder we can define a trivialization over the open set U which is the entire circle. With the Mobius strip we can only define trivializations on patches above proper subsets of the circle.

Likes cianfa72
cianfa72 said:
Yes, in that case (topological manifolds alone) the isomorphism is actually an homeomorphism.

Btw up to dimension 3, every topological manifold admits a differentiable structure and all these structures are equivalent.
You may want to look up some more into Stieffel-Whitney classes.

Likes jbergman
As far as I can tell, the topology assigned on the tangent bundle is not the same as the initial topology from the canonical projection map ##\pi## on the first factor (see Tu's book section 12.1).

cianfa72 said:
As far as I can tell, the topology assigned on the tangent bundle is not the same as the initial topology from the canonical projection map ##\pi## on the first factor (see Tu's book section 12.1).
Yes, the initial topology will contain whole fibers. The bundle topology also has open subsets of fibers.

Why!

martinbn said:
Why!
Yes, open sets in initial topology contain whole fibers, however each fiber ##\pi^{-1} \{p \}## will be open in the initial topology iff the base space B has the discrete topology.

Last edited:
cianfa72 said:
Yes, open sets in initial topology contain whole fibers, however each fiber ##\pi^{-1} \{p \}## will be open in the initial topology iff the base space B has the discrete topology.
No, i meant why do you make these statements/questions?

martinbn said:
No, i meant why do you make these statements/questions?
Just to double check my understanding (also sometimes I've problem with reading english).

Last edited: