Finding the Zeros of $1+z^{2^n}$ on the Unit Disc

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disc Unit
In summary, $1+z^{2^n}$ does not have any zeros on the unit disc because all of its zeros lie on the unit circle, as shown by solving for z in the equation $z=e^{\frac{(2k+1)\pi}{2n}\;i}, k \in \mathbb{Z}$, where n is the power of $2^n$.
Dustinsfl
Why doesn't $1+z^{2^n}$ have zeros on the unit disc?

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
Why doesn't $1+z^{2^n}$ have zeros on the unit disc?

All its zeros are on the unit circle, aren't they?

CB

CaptainBlack said:
All its zeros are on the unit circle, aren't they?

CB

I don't think so. If we solve for z, we have $z = (-1)^{1/2^n}$

dwsmith said:
I don't think so. If we solve for z, we have $z = (-1)^{1/2^n}$

\(z^{2n}=-1=e^{(2k+1)\pi i}, k \in \mathbb{Z}\)

so:

\(z=e^{\frac{(2k+1)\pi}{2n}\;i}, k \in \mathbb{Z}\)

of which \(2n\) are distinct, but all lie on the unit circle.

CB

I would like to clarify that the term "zeros" in this context refers to the values of z that make the expression $1+z^{2^n}$ equal to zero. This is also known as finding the roots of the equation.

Upon examining the expression, it is clear that $1+z^{2^n}$ does not have any zeros on the unit disc. This is because for any value of z on the unit disc, the term $z^{2^n}$ will always have a magnitude less than or equal to 1. When we add 1 to this term, the resulting magnitude will always be greater than 1. Since the unit disc has a radius of 1, it is not possible for the expression to equal zero on this domain.

Furthermore, as n increases, the term $z^{2^n}$ will become increasingly small, making it even more impossible for the expression to have zeros on the unit disc. This can be seen by substituting different values of n into the expression and observing the resulting graph on the unit disc.

In conclusion, the reason why $1+z^{2^n}$ does not have zeros on the unit disc is due to the nature of the expression itself and the properties of the unit disc. This is a mathematical phenomenon that can be explained and understood through rigorous analysis and experimentation.

Related to Finding the Zeros of $1+z^{2^n}$ on the Unit Disc

1. What are the zeros of $1+z^{2^n}$ on the Unit Disc?

The zeros of $1+z^{2^n}$ on the Unit Disc are the values of z that make the expression equal to zero. In this case, the zeros are 0 and all complex numbers that satisfy the equation $z^{2^n} = -1$.

2. How do you find the zeros of $1+z^{2^n}$ on the Unit Disc?

To find the zeros of $1+z^{2^n}$ on the Unit Disc, you can use the method of substitution. Substitute $z = re^{i\theta}$ into the equation and solve for r and $\theta$. Then, use the unit disc condition ($r \leq 1$) to find the valid solutions for z.

3. What is the significance of finding the zeros of $1+z^{2^n}$ on the Unit Disc?

Finding the zeros of $1+z^{2^n}$ on the Unit Disc allows us to understand the behavior of the complex function and how it changes on the unit disc. It also helps in determining the convergence and divergence of the series $\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} z^{2^n}$ on the unit disc.

4. Are the zeros of $1+z^{2^n}$ on the Unit Disc unique?

Yes, the zeros of $1+z^{2^n}$ on the Unit Disc are unique. This is because the equation $z^{2^n} = -1$ only has two solutions in the complex plane, which are $z = -1$ and $z = i$. These solutions are also the only valid solutions on the unit disc.

5. Can the zeros of $1+z^{2^n}$ on the Unit Disc be found using other methods?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the zeros of $1+z^{2^n}$ on the Unit Disc. For example, the roots of unity can be used to solve the equation $z^{2^n} = -1$, and the geometric series can be used to determine the convergence of the series $\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} z^{2^n}$ on the unit disc.