Formatting Equally-contribution authors list in PRL journal using LaTeX

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Malamala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to add equally contributing authors in the author list for a PRL paper in latex. The desired format is shown, but the issue arises with the Revtex template automatically placing the affiliation after the author, resulting in incorrect formatting. The solution suggested is to use a double backslash for a line break.
Malamala
Hello! I want to add equally contributing authors in the author list for a PRL paper in latex (similar to e.g. this). Basically I want something of the form:

$$\mathrm{author1}^{1,*}, \mathrm{author2}^{2,*}$$
$$1 \ \mathrm{First \ affiliation}$$
$$2 \ \mathrm{Second \ affiliation}$$
$$* \ \mathrm{These \ authors \ contributed \ equally}$$

How can I do it. I tried to do it just as above, but Revtex places automatically the affiliation after the author so I end up with either this:

$$\mathrm{author1}^{1,*,1}, \mathrm{author2}^{2,*,2}$$

or this

$$\mathrm{author1}^{*,1}, \mathrm{author2}^{*,2}$$

Is there a new PRL template I can use? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Malamala said:
Hello! I want to add equally contributing authors in the author list for a PRL paper in latex (similar to e.g. this). Basically I want something of the form:

$$\mathrm{author1}^{1,*}, \mathrm{author2}^{2,*}$$
$$1 \ \mathrm{First \ affiliation}$$
$$2 \ \mathrm{Second \ affiliation}$$
$$* \ \mathrm{These \ authors \ contributed \ equally}$$

How can I do it. I tried to do it just as above, but Revtex places automatically the affiliation after the author so I end up with either this:

$$\mathrm{author1}^{1,*,1}, \mathrm{author2}^{2,*,2}$$

or this

$$\mathrm{author1}^{*,1}, \mathrm{author2}^{*,2}$$

Is there a new PRL template I can use? Thank you!
A double backslash should give you a line break.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
A double backslash should give you a line break.

AM
I am not sure what you mean. I don't need a line break

Like this:

\author{First Author$^{1}^*$, Second Author$^{2}^*$ \\\\
\normalsize $^{1}$First Author Institution, City, State, Country \\\\
\normalsize $^{2}$Second Author Institution (if necessary), City, State, Country \\\\
\normalsize e-mail: Author1@email1.com, Author2@email2.com\\\\
\normalsize $^{*}$These authors contributed equally \\\\
}
which compiles to:
1690218445804.png

[Note: in order to have two backslashes appear here on PF you need four backslashes. Type what is seen in the post, not the underlying text

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. How do I format equally-contribution authors list in a PRL journal using LaTeX?

In order to format equally-contribution authors list in a PRL journal using LaTeX, you will need to use the \author command and specify multiple authors with the \and command. For example:
\author{Author 1\thanks{These authors contributed equally to this work} \and Author 2\thanks{These authors contributed equally to this work} \and Author 3}.

2. Can I use footnotes to indicate equally-contribution authors in my PRL journal article?

Yes, you can use footnotes to indicate equally-contribution authors in your PRL journal article. Simply use the \thanks command after the author's name and include a footnote indicating their equal contribution. For example:
\author{Author 1\thanks{These authors contributed equally to this work} \and Author 2\thanks{These authors contributed equally to this work} \and Author 3}.

3. Is there a specific order in which equally-contribution authors should be listed in a PRL journal article?

No, there is no specific order in which equally-contribution authors should be listed in a PRL journal article. However, it is common practice to list the authors in alphabetical order or in the order of their contribution to the research.

4. Can I use a symbol or abbreviation to indicate equally-contribution authors in my PRL journal article?

Yes, you can use a symbol or abbreviation to indicate equally-contribution authors in your PRL journal article. The most commonly used symbols are * or † and they can be placed after the author's name in the author list. For example:
\author{Author 1*\thanks{These authors contributed equally to this work} \and Author 2*\thanks{These authors contributed equally to this work} \and Author 3}.

5. Does the PRL journal have a specific formatting style for equally-contribution authors?

No, the PRL journal does not have a specific formatting style for equally-contribution authors. However, it is recommended to follow the guidelines provided by the journal and to be consistent with the formatting style throughout the article.