Fresnel Integrals: Unsolved Question from MHF

In summary, The original post is about a question that was posted on MHF by user poorbutttryagin on February 5th, 2013 regarding a problem from the book "Functions of One Complex Variable" by Conway. The problem involves proving that the integral of sin(t^2) from 0 to infinity is equal to the square root of pi over 8. The conversation includes a link to a PDF with a possible solution, as well as a discussion about using contour integration and Laplace transform to solve the integral.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
I quote a unsolved question posted in MHF by user poorbutttryagin on February 5th, 2013.
I read 'functions of one complex variable by Conway'

186pg, 7.7. Prove that int_0^inf sin(t^2) dt = sqrt(pi/8)

What is the starting point?

Any comment or hint is welcomed !

Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
Have a look at the pdf here:

http://www.fernandorevilla.es/iii/paginas-111-120/120-integrales-de-fresnel

P.S. 1 Although it is in Spanish, I think that one can follow the outline looking only at the formulas.

P.S. 2 There is a typo in the second line of the pdf.:

It should be $I_2=\displaystyle\int_0^{+\infty}\sin x^2\;dx$ instead of $I_2=\displaystyle\int_0^{+\infty}\cos x^2\;dx$

Last edited:
I see that you are using contour integration to solve the integral .

Do you have another method to solve it ?

ZaidAlyafey said:
Do you have another method to solve it ?

I know another metod (Laplace transform), but it is not in my site. Have a look (for example) here:

http://www.mymathforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20045

Thank you for sharing this interesting unsolved question from MHF. The Fresnel integrals, defined as int_0^x sin(t^2) dt and int_0^x cos(t^2) dt, have been studied extensively in mathematical analysis and have various applications in physics and engineering. However, the exact evaluation of these integrals for all values of x is still an open question in mathematics.

In terms of a starting point for proving that int_0^inf sin(t^2) dt = sqrt(pi/8), I would recommend looking into various techniques for evaluating improper integrals, such as the Cauchy principal value or the method of contour integration. Additionally, exploring the properties of the Fresnel integrals and their relationship to other special functions, such as the error function, could provide valuable insights.

I hope this comment provides some helpful ideas for approaching this unsolved question. Good luck in your exploration of the Fresnel integrals!

Related to Fresnel Integrals: Unsolved Question from MHF

1. What are Fresnel integrals?

Fresnel integrals are mathematical functions that are used in the study of wave diffraction and optical propagation. They can also be used to describe the behavior of electromagnetic waves and the properties of light.

2. Who discovered Fresnel integrals?

Augustin-Jean Fresnel, a French physicist, is credited with discovering the Fresnel integrals in the early 19th century. He used these integrals to explain the phenomenon of diffraction of light.

3. What is the significance of Fresnel integrals?

Fresnel integrals are important in the study of wave optics and are used to describe the interference patterns of light waves. They also have applications in fields such as optics, acoustics, and electromagnetics.

4. What is the difference between Fresnel integrals and other types of integrals?

Fresnel integrals are special types of integrals that cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. They are defined by definite integrals and have specific properties that make them useful in the study of wave diffraction and propagation.

5. Are there any unsolved questions about Fresnel integrals?

Yes, there are still some unsolved questions about Fresnel integrals, particularly in relation to their properties and applications in different fields. The MHF (Modified Hough Functions) equations are a recent development in the study of Fresnel integrals and there is ongoing research to better understand their behavior and potential uses.