Have You Watched "Avatar" Yet? It's AMAZING!

• Thread starter Oerg
  • Start date
In summary: Na'vis only have 4. That has to mean something - it's not the sort of thing that would be an oversight.There are some flaws in the cloning process, but they are minor and don't really detour from the story. Overall, the movie was very entertaining, and I'm looking forward to seeing it again after the 24th.
Oerg
Have you? It's AMAZING!

Btw, Cameron was a physics graduate according to imdb! He was a truck driver until he entered the movie industry.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes! That was a great movie. I was really impressed with the 3D aspect. They managed to resist overdoing it and used it to enhance the feeling of being in a fantasy world instead of making it the centerpiece of the movie.

I heard it was an awesome movie, might go watch it with a friend :biggrin:

I'm big on movie making, so I was delighted to see the proper balance between story and effects. Well, floating mountains were a little hard to digest, but overall it was a treat. I'll bet Francis Lawrence took note of the convincing renders in the cgi humanoid characters (i.e., compared with "I Am Legend").

I've just seen it and it was great! Especially the first half was very refreshing. The war part became a bit boring, but that was mainly because I was too bummed out at that point.

Last edited:
WOW... All I can say is WOW...an instant top movie of the decade, perhaps of all time.

This is the type of fantasy world we all dream about. Oh man, I wish I was on that planet.

I'll have to wait until it comes out on DVD. Can't wait

Monique said:
I've just seen it and it was great! Especially the first half was very refreshing. The war part became a bit boring, but that was mainly because I was too bummed out at that point.

Sorry, but was that just spoiler content? Is that going to wreck some of the plot for me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's be honest! The plot has been done before and the writing was so-so. BUT, the 3d experience was top notch. I think it definitely sets the bar for the next crop of movies.

GeorginaS said:
Sorry, but was that just spoiler content? Is that going to wreck some of the plot for me?

even the trailers show that much :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
... the writing was so-so. BUT, the 3d experience was top notch...
Oh man. you could not have said anything more damaging if you tried.

"The SFX was great!" is the death knell for movies.

DaveC426913 said:
Oh man. you could not have said anything more damaging if you tried.

For most movies, yes, but this really is different. It's a super fun movie and I'm seeing it again on the imax over xmas. The plot and writing wasn't bad. It was good enough with great visuals to make it a very good film, but I wasn't blown away mostly because there aren't any twists.

Greg Bernhardt said:
even the trailers show that much :)

Okay then. I haven't seen the trailers. I don't watch much teevee. :smile: And, it seems that, these days, so many movies (especially comedies) are so thin that all of the best parts in the trailers anyway.

It was a good movie!, I enjoyed it, and I will see it again after the 24th too =)

Newai said:
Well, floating mountains were a little hard to digest, but overall it was a treat. I'll bet Francis Lawrence took note of the convincing renders in the cgi humanoid characters (i.e., compared with "I Am Legend").

One noticeable glitch in the biology of the Na'vi. The tails are just kind of stuck on like a cartoon character. No real tail would project out at a right angle like that since tails are an extension of the spinal cord.

The humanoid clones have 5 fingers while the native Na'vis only have 4. That has to mean something - it's not the sort of thing that would be an oversight. One of the imperfections that keep the clones from being accepted by the Na'vi? (That and the difficulty Jakesully has in making sure the gender of his adjectives matches the gender of his verbs when speaking Na'vi.)

How do the Na'vi reproduce? Where do they hide the pregnant females?

It was a very entertaining masterpiece. A fantastic use of 3D, the CGI was top notch. Movies like this take sci-fi and entertainment to the next level.

Not sure if it tops Lord of the Rings in my best movie of all time list, but it's very close and that's such a personal debate.

BobG said:

did you see the mating scene?

waht said:
did you see the mating scene?

If there was kissing, then I probably covered my eyes. Still, the fact that they have belly buttons tells you there must be pregnant females.

BobG said:
One noticeable glitch in the biology of the Na'vi. The tails are just kind of stuck on like a cartoon character. No real tail would project out at a right angle like that since tails are an extension of the spinal cord.

The humanoid clones have 5 fingers while the native Na'vis only have 4. That has to mean something - it's not the sort of thing that would be an oversight. One of the imperfections that keep the clones from being accepted by the Na'vi? (That and the difficulty Jakesully has in making sure the gender of his adjectives matches the gender of his verbs when speaking Na'vi.)

You could dig much deeper and the whole story would fall apart. There's a margin every movie has to be within to stay believable. Which is why I mentioned the floating mountains, which is ridiculous. Otherwise, the whole movie is acceptable enough as long as we overlook that level of detail you describe. Some movies ask us to overlook too much. Avatar, I say, is about as much within that margin as any movie can be, especially at this ambitious scale.

DaveC426913 said:
Uh, you misspelled a word Dave. :blushing:

Newai said:
You could dig much deeper and the whole story would fall apart. There's a margin every movie has to be within to stay believable. Which is why I mentioned the floating mountains, which is ridiculous. Otherwise, the whole movie is acceptable enough as long as we overlook that level of detail you describe. Some movies ask us to overlook too much. Avatar, I say, is about as much within that margin as any movie can be, especially at this ambitious scale.

Pandora may be a world of fantasy, but I wouldn't rule out a scientific explanation for the floating rocks. Pandora is wonderful because I barely had to suspend disbelief at all. Instead, I was expanding my imagination beyond the realms of our ordinary world, while still remaining within the limitless bounds of science.
I think this is a hallmark of a great science fiction movie - it respects science enough acknowledge that out of some of the wildest 'fiction' comes reality, while at the same time not abusing the imaginative freedom this brings.

What are you all 16, 17, or 18 year olds? This is ridiculous that people are calling avatar one of the best films of all time. Avatar was good the first time around back in 1990 when it was called Dances with Wolves.

The plot was completely unoriginal. That being said, I was still entertained. It had characters I cared about and of course the special fx. Avatar=3.5/5 only because the meat of the script has already been recycled 3 or 4 times already by other movies.

I just saw Avatar earlier tonight. It wasn't a half bad movie. I too do not believe it's in the running for best movie ever. I thought that the whole "save the trees" moral was a bit too overt to retain any power (that is, assuming this was the intent of the writers). But it held my attention and was very entertaining. I think it's worth watching.

Identity said:
Pandora may be a world of fantasy, but I wouldn't rule out a scientific explanation for the floating rocks.

You should rule it out scientifically. Pretty easy to do, in fact.

What got me is that Pandora is a moon but somehow never ended up on the other side of the planet it was orbiting.

Entertaining movie though.

So is this thing really worth the $13 to see it at the imax?

I'm not a big fan of G-moves, 3D or not. If there's no big explosions, sword fights, or car chases, I lose interest pretty fast.

I think it was the best movie this year despite the "unoriginal" ideas behind the movie. If the movie had been set in the American Mid-West then the movie would have been unoriginal. This movie pushed the boundaries of computer generated effects and really told the story without getting too mixed up in the politics. It managed to entertain and stay within the lines enough that I will be able to watch it with younger (or older) family members without worrying about content.

I had no idea about this movie until a few days ago, and I didn't want to see it because of all the hype about the political agenda.

The science behind all this is irrelevant. If they had added another hour to the movie and actually tried to explain all the true "sci-fi" aspects of the movie, I think it would have come across as even more sudo-science. They know that there is nothing that we know of that will make large rocks float, why bother making something up? Just let us enjoy the effect. I kind of wish they hadn't called the rock "unubtainium", but then I don't think it would have made the movie any better wasting time trying to justify this rare ore's extreme worth. The characters were a little stereotypical, but it also didn't take the time to overdevelop the "companies" back story.

I would never argue that this was the best movie of all time because it simply wasn't. This was the best movie this year in my opinion. I really hope that they don't try and force through a trilogy based on this movie though. That would do the story a great injustice. I'm almost certain that someone will try though.

I would recommend seeing it in 3D. I didn't experience any discomfort which is uncommon for a movie of this length.

Last edited:
Topher925 said:

I'm not a big fan of G-moves, 3D or not. If there's no big explosions, sword fights, or car chases, I lose interest pretty fast.

have you not seen the trailers? it's a big action drama

Topher925 said:

FYI, the movie is rated PG13 for violence, extreme language, and some sensuality (granted it's alien sex, but whatever). For some reason a lot of people have been thinking that this is a kid's movie. When I went yesterday, a couple people even brought kids who appeared to be <6 years old. I certainly wouldn't classify it as a family movie, the bright CGI colors notwithstanding.

Amazing Movie!

Just came back from the movies 15 minutes ago.

arunma said:
FYI, the movie is rated PG13 for violence, extreme language, and some sensuality (granted it's alien sex, but whatever). For some reason a lot of people have been thinking that this is a kid's movie. When I went yesterday, a couple people even brought kids who appeared to be <6 years old. I certainly wouldn't classify it as a family movie, the bright CGI colors notwithstanding.

This is rated PG13? Wow. This movie is extremely mild compared to what 12-year-olds are exposed to on a daily basis.

I watched this movie on my computer, and the night-time scenes were great; they were much more exotic than what I expected. The humanoids were very unoriginal, but I guess it isn't possible to sympathize with creatures that look like green flatworms. As for the plot, I haven't watched enough movies to say whether or not it's original, but it's definitely highly predictable.

Yes the trailer is amazing have to watch it soon. waiting for the dvd rip version.
i just love his movies

You will do the movie a great injustice if you watch it on your computer screen, you really should go and see it with some 3D glasses in a movie theater. I saw it in an IMAX theater, which was wonderful. The glasses did become annoying at some point, because they were so heavy. It was also annoying that you could not tilt your head (I was getting tired at some point, as mentioned), but it was well worth the money.

It's definitely PG13, there is quite a bit of violence in the movie.

ideasrule said:
This is rated PG13? Wow. This movie is extremely mild compared to what 12-year-olds are exposed to on a daily basis.

I watched this movie on my computer, and the night-time scenes were great; they were much more exotic than what I expected. The humanoids were very unoriginal, but I guess it isn't possible to sympathize with creatures that look like green flatworms. As for the plot, I haven't watched enough movies to say whether or not it's original, but it's definitely highly predictable.

I put in bold what happens to be bold.

I saw this movie 2 times on IMAX 3D, and 2 more times on my HDTV at home (yes I have a ripped copy). First of all, this movie has advanced concepts that are missed by the simpletons who keep calling the plot 'empty'. If you think this movie has no plot, you must be delusional. You don't get a movie over 2 hours and 30 minutes without a plot. That being said this movie could be a bit longer, maybe 3 hours at least. I wish Cameron explained the motivation behind the humans. 20 million for a kilo of 'unobtainium'? Ok. Then the planet is dying and they don't have any green plants left on the planet? Some other minor things that are not explained.

Floating rocks? Scientifically plausible. Don't believe me? Consider this scenario: the rocks are superconductors and the tree flux is a magnetic flux. Diamagnetic superconductor rocks are stable in z-axis and combined with lower graviation they stay relatively stationary in one place, supported by vegetation.

Do I have to spell these things out on a PHYSICS forum? Geez

People don't like the name unobtainium, but that's nitpicking. Maybe they named it that before they developed a way to get it.
What are you all 16, 17, or 18 year olds? This is ridiculous that people are calling avatar one of the best films of all time. Avatar was good the first time around back in 1990 when it was called Dances with Wolves.

The plot was completely unoriginal. That being said, I was still entertained. It had characters I cared about and of course the special fx. Avatar=3.5/5 only because the meat of the script has already been recycled 3 or 4 times already by other movies.
Yeah, I actually left the theater thinking I went in the Dances With Wolves theater. Turns out it really was Avatar, but I couldn't spot the difference.

The movie took a good plot and did a really good version of it. Doesn't matter if the plot has been done before, if it did good with a good plot, what's the problem? How does that take away from how good the movie is?
You can take the story from any new movie and go dig up another movie that has a similar storyline.
Floating rocks? Scientifically plausible. Don't believe me? Consider this scenario: the rocks are superconductors and the tree flux is a magnetic flux. Diamagnetic superconductor rocks are stable in z-axis and combined with lower graviation they stay relatively stationary in one place, supported by vegetation.
Seems like everyone concluded it's impossible and are allowing absolutely no latitude for any explanation. On a science forum you wouldn't expect people to think so unscientifically.