Have You Watched "Avatar" Yet? It's AMAZING!

• Thread starter Oerg
  • Start date
In summary: Na'vis only have 4. That has to mean something - it's not the sort of thing that would be an oversight.There are some flaws in the cloning process, but they are minor and don't really detour from the story. Overall, the movie was very entertaining, and I'm looking forward to seeing it again after the 24th.
joelupchurch said:
I don't know what hemisphere you live in but it ain't exactly hiking weather up North.
actually, I kinda like hiking in the snow. Skiing is even better! :smile:

Must be my cold heart. :devil:

Physics news on Phys.org
The Vatican newspaper and radio station are criticizing James Cameron's 3-D blockbuster for flirting with the idea that worship of nature can replace religion — a notion the pope has warned against. They call the movie a simplistic and sappy tale, despite its awe-inspiring special effects.
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/vatican-says-avatar-no-masterpiece-ap

Does religion surgically remove your imagination? Or just the neurons that love nature?

Last edited by a moderator:
Q_Goest said:
actually, I kinda like hiking in the snow. Skiing is even better! :smile:

Must be my cold heart. :devil:

Snowshoeing is great fun! It's something I'd recommend to anyone.

Q_Goest said:
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/vatican-says-avatar-no-masterpiece-ap

Does religion surgically remove your imagination? Or just the neurons that love nature?

I think it has been known to remove the entire brain in many cases.

They (the vatican) call the movie a simplistic and sappy tale, despite its awe-inspiring special effects.
Look whose talking!

A lot can be said about this movie and judgine by this being the 12th page it already has. I personally saw this movie twice so far and it is brilliant. Some people can say that they saw where it was going and that it was predicatable. But sometimes its a good feeling to see the good guys prosper condisering the evil evil humans thought in the movie. Don't judge me too fast as some transformers or 2012 cgi lover as I dispise those movies. But the plot was great, the ideas and alien culture was thought out well.

An most of all, it was very immersive partly by the 3d and the story.

Hopefully the people who are depressed about our Earth will realize that if you grew up in a world of avatar than Earth would be just as amazing looking with its variety of different plant and animal life.

By the way, did anyone draw parallels between Avatar and Dances with Wolves?

Edit:
Without going into religion, why does the vatican feel they should comment on a Sci fi movie? Don't they have better things to do?

bassplayer142 said:
But the plot was great, the ideas and alien culture was thought out well.
Strange. I said the exact opposite.

I can't recall a single idea in the film that was not directly taken from some other story. Cameron didn't even bother to put a fresh coat of paint on them.

The alien biology was poorly-thought out too. How much brain-power does it require to take an Earth horse and add a pair of legs and the head of an anteater?

http://christybharath.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/pleased_to_meet_you_im_an_anteater.jpg

And why is all of Pandoran fauna hexapedal but the humanoids are bi(quadro)pedal?

bassplayer142 said:
By the way, did anyone draw parallels between Avatar and Dances with Wolves?
Indeed, it is mockingly being called Fern Gully with Wolves.

Not to say I didn't enjoy the film, it's just that, the more I think about it, the more I realize I've paid good money for old ideas.

DaveC426913 said:
Strange. I said the exact opposite.

I can't recall a single idea in the film that was not directly taken from some other story. Cameron didn't even bother to put a fresh coat of paint on them.

The alien biology was poorly-thought out too. How much brain-power does it require to take an Earth horse and add a pair of legs and the head of an anteater?

http://christybharath.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/pleased_to_meet_you_im_an_anteater.jpg

And why is all of Pandoran fauna hexapedal but the humanoids are bi(quadro)pedal?

Indeed, it is mockingly being called Fern Gully with Wolves.

Not to say I didn't enjoy the film, it's just that, the more I think about it, the more I realize I've paid good money for old ideas.

I wonder how many ideas are truly original today anyway. Most anyone can draw parallels from every movie with only the memories of a miniscule percentage of movies, songs, literature combined.

I guess in the end its all a matter of opinion though.

mgb_phys said:
Look whose talking!

Yes.. they should have thrown in a little boy and a priest in the background for some realism, doing the .. oh I'm getting another warning aren't I.. :frown:

bassplayer142 said:
Edit:
Without going into religion, why does the vatican feel they should comment on a Sci fi movie? Don't they have better things to do?

When their entire purpose for existence is to offer comment on a fantasy book, it's not a big stretch to offer commentary on a sci-fi movie.

NeoDevin said:
When their entire purpose for existence is to offer comment on a fantasy book, it's not a big stretch to offer commentary on a sci-fi movie.

ba-ZING!:smile:

bassplayer142 said:
I wonder how many ideas are truly original today anyway. Most anyone can draw parallels from every movie with only the memories of a miniscule percentage of movies, songs, literature combined.

I guess in the end its all a matter of opinion though.

Yes, but there's a difference between being inspired by an original and simply copying it.

When you accumulate these copies, you start to realize that, rather than an original piece of art with its own message, the creation is more like a collage of pictures torn form magazines.

DaveC426913 said:
Yes, but there's a difference between being inspired by an original and simply copying it.

When you accumulate these copies, you start to realize that, rather than an original piece of art with its own message, the creation is more like a collage of pictures torn form magazines.

I agree with this statement, but I also think that Avatar is the best "collage" I've ever seen.

Sort of like an artist who does a portrait, or a still life of a bowl of fruit, or a landscape. Those have all been done before, but still there are the "good" and "great" paintings of fruit, or a face, or a lake. It's a similar thing. This is a visually stunning film, and I like visuals. I think I would have liked it better if I couldn't understand the language at all (English OR whatever the blue people spoke).

Chi Meson said:
I agree with this statement, but I also think that Avatar is the best "collage" I've ever seen.

Sort of like an artist who does a portrait, or a still life of a bowl of fruit, or a landscape. Those have all been done before, but still there are the "good" and "great" paintings of fruit, or a face, or a lake.
IMO, Cameron is not making painting of a bowl of fruit, he's torn a picture of a bowl of fruit out of a magazine.

I've got to be careful not to mix up the metaphors. I'm not suggesting the whole film is the bowl of fruit, I'm suggesting that certain parts of the film, for example, the plot, are pictures torn out of ... well ... out of the poster for Fern Gully. It's the same plot. He's added nothing new to the plot.

DaveC426913 said:
IMO, Cameron is not making painting of a bowl of fruit, he's torn a picture of a bowl of fruit out of a magazine.

I've got to be careful not to mix up the metaphors. I'm not suggesting the whole film is the bowl of fruit, I'm suggesting that certain parts of the film, for example, the plot, are pictures torn out of ... well ... out of the poster for Fern Gully. It's the same plot. He's added nothing new to the plot.

I get your point, and I think I agree with your assessment. Perhaps I am not so irritated by the "plot" due to the fact that I never saw Fern Gully, Dances with Wolves, or Pocahontas. Still I am well aware of that general theme and I was quite prepared to find nothing new re "plot." So I went to see it with my expectations tempered.

I was far more irritated by the lack of character development, generally poor dialog, and very lame attempts at one-liners. If Cameron had a 1/2-decent writer spice up the script, I think the movie could have ratcheted up a notch.

I get your point, and I think I agree with your assessment. Perhaps I am not so irritated by the "plot" due to the fact that I never saw Fern Gully, Dances with Wolves, or Pocahontas. Still I am well aware of that general theme and I was quite prepared to find nothing new re "plot." So I went to see it with my expectations tempered.
The plot was new to you. Why does just the knowledge of the fact the plot had been done before detract from the movie?

What was the first movie to use the Avatar premise? Were all subsequent movies after that one criticized? Or is it the popularity of Avatar that is evoking the criticism?

leroyjenkens said:
The plot was new to you. Why does just the knowledge of the fact the plot had been done before detract from the movie?

What was the first movie to use the Avatar premise? Were all subsequent movies after that one criticized? Or is it the popularity of Avatar that is evoking the criticism?
Hang on, I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy this movie. You missed my point there, read it again. The plot is NOT what bothered me. I wasn't expecting clever twists and new messages, so I wasn't "disappointed" there. I'm admitting to some irritations and distractions due to the script, but overall I enjoyed both times I saw it.

And I know that there is a collection of people who do heavily criticize anything that is popular because I am among them. I used to be a lot worse (Did you know that I once heavily criticized the Beatles?). Anything that is that huge will have its flaws magnified. But these days I am just as adamant at acknowledging greatness along with flaws. I must be getting old.

Last edited:
I watched it the other night.

What a shyte movie. If I wanted to see Cats the musical and halo 3 I would have gone to broadway and brought a portable 360 with me.

The graphics were good, but the movie sucked hard overall.

One physics blunder: when cracked, the mask of the marine sergeant showed gas entering, even though the atmospheric pressure was lower outside than pressure inside the mask.

Avatar is about to become the top grossing film of all time:

No. 1 for the sixth-straight weekend with $36 million, the 20th Century Fox sci-fi spectacle lifted its domestic total to $552.8 million, according to studio estimates Sunday. "Avatar" raised its worldwide total to $1.841 billion. That's $2 million shy of first place behind Cameron's last movie, the 1997 shipwreck epic "Titanic," at $1.843 billion.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/avatar-tops-box-office-sixthstraight-week-ap

Some people rate the film as being in their top five films of all time, others say it is a lousy movie with great graphics. I still need to see it.

MotoH said:
I watched it the other night.

What a shyte movie. If I wanted to see Cats the musical and halo 3 I would have gone to broadway and brought a portable 360 with me.

The graphics were good, but the movie sucked hard overall.

In the other Avatar thread, you mentioned that you missed the first hour of the movie. How can you so confindently say how bad a movie is if you missed the first hour of it?

leroyjenkens said:
In the other Avatar thread, you mentioned that you missed the first hour of the movie. How can you so confindently say how bad a movie is if you missed the first hour of it?

Was there something spectacular that I missed in the first hour that made up for the asshatery that went on during the last 3/4th's of the movie? If so please let me know.

Since when would we destroy such a large target with an out of date bomb? If we wanted to blow the blue kitties back to the stone age we would have nuked that goofy rib cage lookin' thing from orbit and called her a day. I hate movies that make the humans (esp. the military) look like a bunch of idiots.

Welcome back MotoH. :wink:
MotoH said:
Was there something spectacular that I missed in the first hour that made up for the asshatery that went on during the last 3/4th's of the movie? If so please let me know.
Nope. The plot was pretty weak throughout.
MotoH said:
Since when would we destroy such a large target with an out of date bomb? If we wanted to blow the blue kitties back to the stone age we would have nuked that goofy rib cage lookin' thing from orbit and called her a day. I hate movies that make the humans (esp. the military) look like a bunch of idiots.
This is a weak argument though. Picking at the plausibility of a military action? We can't know what led them to that strategy; all we can do is accept that they have good reason.

At the every least, they're not trying to wipe them out; it is rationalized more as a "relocation" than a rout. They don't want to kill everyone.

DaveC426913 said:
Welcome back MotoH. :wink:

Nope. The plot was pretty weak throughout.

This is a weak argument though. Picking at the plausibility of a military action? We can't know what led them to that strategy; all we can do is accept that they have good reason.

At the every least, they're not trying to wipe them out; it is rationalized more as a "relocation" than a rout. They don't want to kill everyone.

There have been much better ways at relocation than how they went about it than. The only plausible way I see of removing such a species from an area is by direct military action. The main reason in my mind that the military was defeated by these giant felines is they did not have enough troops. In an ordinary battle on earth, the kill ratio is around 3:1, or 3 attackers for every one defender. That is human v. human. Now facing these giant felines, you could expect it to be around 7:1 or so, just considering the felines knowledge of the battlefield.
Finding the true strength of their army is the first action that would need to be taken, which entails recon of the whole planet for possible allies, I would also look for potential enemies to cut deals with (more land for them if they help).
Next is to find out their main reason for defending an area, which in this case is the "Mother Nature" tree. The attacking force would not really know what it did, but they knew it holds significant religious value. Destroying this target will either make the forces crumble because there is no reason to defend the land anymore, or make them even more ferocious. Dropping something on this tree that will exhibit shock and awe with minimal amount of civilian casualties is the best course of action, because I guarantee you most of them will not want to fight after their religious tree goes up in a fireball that reaches to the upper atmosphere.

Of course peaceful negotiations would have started the whole thing off, which for the most part is to gain intel on the felines and not so much in the hopes of reaching a peaceful agreement.

I think I have gone way to far into this.

MotoH said:
I think I have gone way to far into this.

Yes. None of this makes Avatar a bad film.

If you could qualify "asshatery", I'd tell you, so I know what I'm trying to counter.
How do you know the explanation for that wasn't in the first hour of the film?

MotoH said:

I liked the first part of the movie more than the war part, mostly for its special effects.

Since when would we destroy such a large target with an out of date bomb?

You call that an out of date bomb? That's the understatement of the year! WWI airplane/zeppelin bombs were better than that by a wide margin: at the very least, they were released at the push of a button, not pushed out the door by humans.

If we wanted to blow the blue kitties back to the stone age we would have nuked that goofy rib cage lookin' thing from orbit and called her a day.

I'm not sure it would be easy for a private corporation to obtain nukes.

Lots of movies have glaring flaws in their logic. But, they probably wouldn't last long if they didn't. :-p

more_accurate.png

ideasrule said:
I'm not sure it would be easy for a private corporation to obtain nukes.

Their starships are powered by antimatter, so they could crack Pandora like a walnut if they wanted to, but since the whole reason they are there is to mine the unobtainium, blowing it up would be counterproductive. Remember, they only want to get the Navi out of the way so they can run their mine, not to destroy what they came to mine in the first place.

Also a lot of tech they use is pretty primitive, since they are limited to what their stereolighography (sp?) machines can make for them. Here is a website that explains a lot of it.

http://www.pandorapedia.com/doku.php/isv_venture_star"

Oh my god there is a wiki for Avatar? First people become seriously depressed because they want to "live" on pandora, and now there is a wiki. Oh wow.

This was a goof that really made my toes curl:
imdb.com said:
Errors made by characters: In one scene where Jake was taping his video log, with Grace doing experiment in the background, she drew some liquid from the sample, then turned the pipette upside down before she dispense the liquid. Everybody who had done chemistry experiment should know that if you turn your pipette or dropper upside down, you will contaminate the sample and void your test results.

Monique said:
This was a goof that really made my toes curl:

If you use the same pipette for same sample, how is that contaminating it? Perhaps its a solvent, or since this is a microbiology experiment, one of them Gram stain reactants. Either way, in low gravity who knows if the liquid even reached the pipette bulb, perhaps she was eliminating the bubbles in the pipette. For what its worth, I use single use pipette for same chemical, and if I have to add new chemical I grab a new pipette

This is Sigourney Weaver you talking about. She killed aliens before most of you were born :biggrin:

You never hold a pipette upside down.

Monique said:
You never hold a pipette upside down.

Come on spruce that statement up with that PhDtalk :biggrin:

This is a plastic pipette. Its a single use item. You can not 'contaminate' your sample by letting the sample into the bulb.

Second pipette should never be used in any chemistry/biology lab.

Last edited: