Solving Complex Integration Problems with \((*) Formula

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a formula for integrating a function with poles on the real axis, and the discrepancy between the expected answer and the actual answer obtained using the formula. It is noted that the formula is generally only applicable for simple poles or when the Laurent expansions around the poles do not have terms of negative even power. The conversation also brings up the idea that the construction of the contour around the poles may affect the result of the integral.
Dustinsfl
Consider
\[
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{e^{iax}}{x^2 - b^2}dx
\]
where \(a,b>0\). The poles are \(x=\pm b\) which are on the x axis. Usually, if the poles are on the x axis, I use that the integral is
\[
2\pi i\sum_{\text{UHP}}\text{Res} + \pi i\sum_{\text{x axis}}\text{Res}\quad (*)
\]
which works in this problem http://mathhelpboards.com/analysis-50/integral-%3D-2pi-sum-res-uhp-pi-i-sum-res-real-axis-7576.html
However, if I use this formula on the integral above, I get the answer to be
\[
-\frac{\pi}{b}\sin(ab)
\]
when the answer is
\[
-\frac{2\pi}{b}\sin(ab)
\]
which would indicate \(2\pi i\) times the sum of the residual on the x axis. What is going wrong and when can and cannot I use the formula \((*)\)?

Physics news on Phys.org
\(\displaystyle PV \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} \frac{e^{iaz}}{z^2-b^2}\,dz\)

The function has only poles on the real axis at \(\displaystyle z=\pm b\)

so that becomes

\(\displaystyle PV \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\frac{e^{iaz}}{z^2-b^2}\,dz= \pi i \lim_{z\to b}\, (z-b)\frac{e^{iaz}}{z^2-b^2}+\pi i \lim_{z\to -b}\, (z+b)\frac{e^{iaz}}{z^2-b^2}=\frac{\pi i e^{iab}}{2b}-\frac{\pi i e^{-iab} }{2b}=\frac{\pi i}{2b }(e^{iab}-e^{-iab})\)

which is equal to \(\displaystyle -\frac{\pi \sin(ab)}{b}\) . As yours .

Note this the Principle value of the integral >

Last edited:
The answer is \(-\frac{2b}{\pi}\sin(ab)\) which isn't what we both have.

dwsmith said:
The answer is \(-\frac{2b}{\pi}\sin(ab)\) which isn't what we both have.

I cannot see how that would be the correct answer. why so sure ?

The answer in your textbook is not correct.

But just so you're aware, that formula is generally only applicable when the the poles on the real axis are simple poles.

But it is also applicable if none of the Laurent expansions about the poles on the real axis have terms of negative even power.

That's why $ \displaystyle \text{PV} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{1}{x^{3}}\ dx = 0$.

Last edited:
@Random my professor says it depends on how we construct the contour around the poles. How true is that? Shouldn't the integral be the same?

If we avoid the poles then the integral along any closed smooth path is zero.

Related to Solving Complex Integration Problems with \((*) Formula

What is the (*) formula in complex integration problems?

The (*) formula is a mathematical tool used to solve complex integration problems. It involves breaking down the complex function into simpler parts and using algebraic manipulations to integrate each part separately.

Why is the (*) formula useful in solving complex integration problems?

The (*) formula allows for the integration of complex functions that cannot be solved using basic integration techniques. It also reduces the complexity of the problem by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts.

What are the steps involved in using the (*) formula to solve a complex integration problem?

The steps involved in solving a complex integration problem using the (*) formula include identifying the function, breaking it down into simpler parts, integrating each part separately, and then combining the results to get the final solution.

Are there any limitations to using the (*) formula in complex integration problems?

Yes, the (*) formula may not be applicable to all complex functions and may not provide an exact solution in some cases. It also requires a good understanding of algebraic manipulations and integration techniques to be used effectively.

Can the (*) formula be used in other areas of mathematics or science?

Yes, the (*) formula can be applied to other areas of mathematics and science that involve complex functions, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is a versatile tool that can be used to solve a wide range of integration problems.