Integration a long closed curve is 0

In summary: I am also using the substitution \gamma (t) = \xi to change the limits of integration, and then using the fact that if the loop is closed, \gamma (\alpha) = \gamma(\beta) and therefore the integral becomes \int_{\gamma (\alpha) }^{\gamma (\alpha)} \, f( \xi )\, d \xi =0, which is only true if f is analytic inside the region enclosed by \gamma.
alyafey22
Gold Member
MHB
[tex]\int_{\gamma (t) }\, f(z) dz [/tex]

[tex]\int_{\alpha}^{\beta} \, f(\gamma (t))\, \gamma '(t) \, dt [/tex]

[tex]\text{Use the substitution : } \gamma (t) = \xi [/tex]

[tex]\int_{\gamma (\alpha) }^{\gamma (\beta)} \, f(\xi )\, d \xi [/tex]

[tex]\text{If we integrate around a closed loope : }\gamma (\alpha) = \gamma(\beta) [/tex]

[tex]\int_{\gamma (\alpha) }^{\gamma (\alpha)} \, f( \xi )\, d \xi =0 [/tex]

[tex]\text{This is only true if the function is analytic }[/tex]

Feel free to leave any comments .

Physics news on Phys.org
ZaidAlyafey said:
[tex]\int_{\gamma (t) }\, f(z) dz [/tex]

[tex]\int_{\alpha}^{\beta} \, f(\gamma (t))\, \gamma '(t) \, dt [/tex]

[tex]\text{Use the substitution : } \gamma (t) = \xi [/tex]

[tex]\int_{\gamma (\alpha) }^{\gamma (\beta)} \, f(\xi )\, d \xi [/tex]

[tex]\text{If we integrate around a closed loope : }\gamma (\alpha) = \gamma(\beta) [/tex]

[tex]\int_{\gamma (\alpha) }^{\gamma (\alpha)} \, f( \xi )\, d \xi =0 [/tex]

[tex]\text{This is only true if the function is analytic }[/tex]

Feel free to leave any comments .
Comment, not a full answer.

This will work if your function f is conservative. I don't how that relates to the analyticity of f.

-Dan

topsquark said:
Comment, not a full answer.

This will work if your function f is conservative. I don't how that relates to the analyticity of f.

-Dan

But how to define conservative functions mathematically ?
We define analytic functions as those which satisfy the Cauchy-Reimann equations and the partial derivatives exist and are continuous so if they have a pole then we can use the Cauchy-integral formula to find the integral along the loop this is illustrated by the deformation hypothesis .

ZaidAlyafey said:
But how to define conservative functions mathematically ?
We define analytic functions as those which satisfy the Cauchy-Reimann equations and the partial derivatives exist and are continuous so if they have a pole then we can use the Cauchy-integral formula to find the integral along the loop this is illustrated by the deformation hypothesis .
Ah! It's a complex integration. You didn't tell us that. (Tmi)

Then as far as I know, so long as you have a closed path (that doesn't contain any nasty singularities) then the answer is 0.

-Dan

Come to think about it, if it's analytic I think that means no singularities. I'm too lazy to check that. Time for a nap! (Yawn)

-Dan

If $f$ is analytic inside the region enclosed by $\gamma$, the integral in question will be zero. Are you putting forth a proof of that? I'm a little unclear what it is you're after.

Ackbach said:
If $f$ is analytic inside the region enclosed by $\gamma$, the integral in question will be zero. Are you putting forth a proof of that? I'm a little unclear what it is you're after.

Yes, indeed.

What are your assumptions? What theorems are you allowed to use?

I am using the contour integration formual :

[tex]\int_{\gamma (t) }\, f(z) dz =\int_{\alpha}^{\beta} \, f(\gamma (t))\, \gamma '(t) \, dt [/tex]

Related to Integration a long closed curve is 0

1. What is the concept of integration of a long closed curve being 0?

The concept of integrating a long closed curve being 0 means that the net result of integrating a function over a closed curve is equal to zero. In other words, the total area under the curve is equal to zero.

2. How is the integration of a long closed curve related to the concept of a conservative vector field?

The integration of a long closed curve being 0 is closely related to the concept of a conservative vector field. A conservative vector field is one in which the work done by the field on a particle moving along a closed curve is also equal to zero. This means that the force acting on the particle is always perpendicular to the motion, resulting in no net work being done.

3. What is the significance of integration of a long closed curve being 0 in mathematics and physics?

The significance of integration of a long closed curve being 0 in mathematics and physics is that it allows us to determine if a vector field is conservative or not. This has important implications in understanding the behavior of physical systems and in solving mathematical problems involving vector fields.

4. Can the integration of a long closed curve ever be non-zero?

No, the integration of a long closed curve is always 0. This is a fundamental property of conservative vector fields, and is a result of the fact that the work done by the field on a particle moving along a closed curve is always equal to 0.

5. How is the integration of a long closed curve calculated?

The integration of a long closed curve is calculated using a mathematical technique called line integration. This involves breaking up the curve into small segments and evaluating the function at each point, then summing up the results. The limit of this sum as the segments become infinitesimally small is equal to the integration of the long closed curve.