Laplace and Systems Control and Analysis

In summary, The function δ(t-1) represents an impulse at t=1, which has a rectangular pulse of area 1, with a very narrow width approaching 0.00 nanoseconds and a correspondingly high height approaching infinity. This function is useful for testing the impulse response of real-world systems. When computing the Laplace of the Dirac delta function, it is important to know that the integral of the function from 0 to t is equal to the value of the function at t.
mm391
Using Laplace can someone please show me in simple terms how i would solve the following function? This is a lecture example. The solution just shows the answer, nothing about how we get it or what it represents. I am finding this subject particularly difficult to come to grips with.

δ(t-1)

Can you also explain what the function represents?

Thanks

mm

Engineering news on Phys.org
δ(t-1) is an impulse at t=1, so it has no value at other values of time
it represents a rectangular pulse of area = 1
the width of the impulse is very narrow, approaching 0.00 nanoseconds
which means its height is correspondingly high, tending to infinity.

In practice, a realistic approximation to the delta function is plenty good enough for testing the impulse response of real-world systems.

Sorry, I can't relate it to Laplace, I have forgotten the topic through disuse. :frown:

Try searching google.

The key point to know when computing the laplace of the dirac delta function is that the
∫[f(t)*δ(t-ε)]dt from {0 to t} = f(ε) because δ(t-ε) = 0 everywhere except ε and ∫(δ) from {0 to ∞} =1.

Related to Laplace and Systems Control and Analysis

1. What is Laplace Transform and how is it used in Systems Control and Analysis?

The Laplace Transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function of time into a function of a complex variable. In Systems Control and Analysis, it is used to transform differential equations into algebraic equations, making it easier to analyze and control the behavior of a system.

2. What are the advantages of using Laplace Transform in Systems Control and Analysis?

The Laplace Transform allows for the analysis of complex systems with multiple inputs and outputs. It also simplifies the process of solving differential equations and evaluating stability and performance of a system.

3. Can Laplace Transform be used for both continuous and discrete systems?

Yes, Laplace Transform can be used for both continuous and discrete systems. For continuous systems, the Laplace Transform is represented by an integral, while for discrete systems it is represented by a summation.

4. How does Laplace Transform relate to frequency domain analysis?

Laplace Transform is closely related to frequency domain analysis. By taking the inverse Laplace Transform, the time-domain function can be converted back to the frequency domain, allowing for the analysis of a system's behavior at different frequencies.

5. What is the difference between Laplace Transform and Fourier Transform?

While both Laplace Transform and Fourier Transform are used to convert functions between the time and frequency domains, the Laplace Transform also takes into account the initial conditions of a system. It is also more suitable for solving differential equations, while Fourier Transform is more commonly used for periodic signals.