Largest mass of rock that wont sink the boat

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a hemisphere shaped boat with a mass of 21g and diameter of 8.6 cm. The goal is to find the heaviest mass of rock that can be placed in the boat without causing it to sink. The solution involves equating the densities of the boat and water, and solving for the mass of the rock. However, the answer obtained (3.85kg) is believed to be incorrect and further information and methods are requested for assistance.
jason_r

Homework Statement

You begin by measuring one of the hemispheres, finding that it has a mass of 21 g and a diameter of 8.6 cm

Basically you have a hemisphere shaped boat with mass 21g and diamter 8.6cm you have to find the heaviest mass of rock that u can put in the boat that won't sink it.

What is the mass of the heaviest rock that, in perfectly still water, won't sink the plastic boat?

Homework Equations

I equated the densities of the boat and water and solved for m

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 3.85kg as an answer

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that this answer is wrong, that's why you're posting here. Am I right?
It would help if you posted your method to acquire your answer, as well as all the relevant values ie. densities.

I'm on a similar problem. The textbook appears to say that I should try to set the average density of the sphere equal to the density of the water. So, I tried:
rou(water)=rou(ave)
rou(water)=1000kg/m^3
rou(ave)=[mass(sphere)+mass(rock)+mass(air in sphere)]/volume
Then I set the two equal to each other and solved for the mass of the rock. I've gone through it several times and can't come up with the correct answer.

Related to Largest mass of rock that wont sink the boat

1. What is the largest mass of rock that won't sink a boat?

The largest mass of rock that won't sink a boat depends on the size, shape, and buoyancy of the boat. In general, a rock that is about 1/10 of the boat's displacement should not sink the boat.

2. How does the size of the boat affect the largest mass of rock it can hold?

The larger the boat, the more weight it can carry without sinking. Therefore, a larger boat can withstand a larger mass of rock without sinking.

3. Does the shape of the rock matter in determining if it will sink the boat?

Yes, the shape of the rock does matter. A rock with a sharp edge or point can puncture the boat's hull, causing it to sink. A smooth, rounded rock is less likely to cause damage and sink the boat.

4. What factors determine the buoyancy of a boat?

The buoyancy of a boat is determined by its shape, weight, and the density of the water it is floating in. A boat with a wider hull and a lower density will have greater buoyancy and be able to withstand a larger mass of rock without sinking.

5. Are there any other materials, besides rocks, that can sink a boat?

Yes, there are other materials that can sink a boat. For example, large amounts of water entering the boat, heavy machinery or equipment, or a sudden shift in weight can all cause a boat to sink. It is important for boats to be properly designed and loaded to ensure they can safely withstand the weight they are carrying.