Local Continuity and Restriction

In summary, the conversation discusses the continuity of a map f:X-->Y where X and Y are topological spaces and {Ui: i in I} is a cover for X such that f|_Ui is continuous for each Ui. It is shown that if I is finite and the {Ui} are all open or closed, then f is continuous. However, if I is infinite and {Ui} is a closed cover, then this result may fail. An example is presented where a discontinuous function can be defined on a closed cover, but it is not clear how to define f|_x as continuous.
Bacle
Hi,

Let f :X-->Y ; X,Y topological spaces is any map and {Ui: i in I} is a cover for X
so that :

f|_Ui is continuous, i.e., the restriction of f to each Ui is continuous, then:

1) If I is finite , and the {Ui} are all open (all closed) , we can show f is continuous:

taking W open in Y, f^-1(W)= \/ f^-1(W /\ Ui) = is the union of open sets in X;

each W/\Ui is open, and W/\Ui is contained in Ui.

( where \/ is the union over I ; /\ is intersection over I ); same for V closed in Y.

2) If I is infinite, the argument can break down , i.e., if {Ui } is a closed cover

for X (each Ui is closed) ; f|_Ui is continuous and I is infinite, then this result

fails. Does anyone know of an example of this last?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bacle said:
Hi,

Let f :X-->Y ; X,Y topological spaces is any map and {Ui: i in I} is a cover for X
so that :

f|_Ui is continuous, i.e., the restriction of f to each Ui is continuous, then:

1) If I is finite , and the {Ui} are all open (all closed) , we can show f is continuous:

taking W open in Y, f^-1(W)= \/ f^-1(W /\ Ui) = is the union of open sets in X;

each W/\Ui is open, and W/\Ui is contained in Ui.

( where \/ is the union over I ; /\ is intersection over I ); same for V closed in Y.

2) If I is infinite, the argument can break down , i.e., if {Ui } is a closed cover

for X (each Ui is closed) ; f|_Ui is continuous and I is infinite, then this result

fails. Does anyone know of an example of this last?

As an example where it fails, take any discontinuous function [itex]f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] and consider the closed cover [itex](\{x\})_{x\in \mathbb{R}}[/itex], doesn't that work?

Micromass: but how do we then define f|_x to be continuous?

Bacle said:
Micromass: but how do we then define f|_x to be continuous?

Just define [itex]f\vert_{\{x\}}:\{x\}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}:x\rightarrow f(x)[/itex]. This is clearly continuous since [itex]\{x\}[/itex] is indiscrete...

Right, good point; thanks.

Related to Local Continuity and Restriction

What does "Local Continuity and Restriction" mean?

"Local Continuity and Restriction" refers to the principle that states that the behavior of a physical system at a specific point is determined by its behavior at nearby points. This means that there is a smooth and continuous relationship between neighboring points in a system.

Why is "Local Continuity and Restriction" important in science?

"Local Continuity and Restriction" is important in science because it allows us to make predictions and understand the behavior of complex systems. By understanding how changes at one point affect the behavior of nearby points, we can better understand and control natural phenomena.

How is "Local Continuity and Restriction" related to the concept of "cause and effect"?

"Local Continuity and Restriction" is closely related to the concept of "cause and effect" as it suggests that there is a direct relationship between the behavior of neighboring points in a system. This means that changes in one point can cause changes in nearby points, leading to a chain of cause and effect within a system.

Are there any exceptions to the principle of "Local Continuity and Restriction"?

While the principle of "Local Continuity and Restriction" holds true for many physical systems, there are some exceptions. For example, at the quantum level, particles can exhibit behaviors that are not locally continuous. However, these exceptions are still being studied and understood by scientists.

How is the concept of "Local Continuity and Restriction" applied in different scientific fields?

The principle of "Local Continuity and Restriction" is applied in various scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, biology, and geology. In physics, it helps to understand the behavior of fluids and electromagnetic fields. In chemistry, it is used to understand the behavior of chemical reactions. In biology, it helps to understand the flow of energy and materials within ecosystems. In geology, it helps to explain the formation and movement of geological features such as mountains and rivers.