Math of Reference Frames: Spanning Vector Space

In summary, the conversation discusses the mathematical interpretation of Lorentz frames and how they can be represented as subspaces of a given vector space with the same span. It is mentioned that this representation encompasses all the characteristics of Lorentz frames, such as the invariance of four-vectors.
kent davidge
I'm aware that there are definitions of how reference frames translates to mathematics. But I've came to the following.

How incomplete would be to say that, mathematically speaking, two Lorentz (or whatever) inertial frames are two subspaces of a given vector space whose span is the same vector space? I mean

Let two "Lorentz frames" be ##A## and ##B##, subsets of a set ##V## which is a vector space.

Then ##\text{span} (A) = \text{span} (B) = V##.

What would be left by this reasoning?

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that with this reasoning, we have all the carachteristics we have. For instance a four-vector is the same in two frames. In our words, it's the same in two subspaces... etc.

kent davidge said:
How incomplete would be to say that, mathematically speaking, two Lorentz (or whatever) inertial frames are two subspaces of a given vector space whose span is the same vector space?

I think by the term "Lorentz inertial frames" you actually mean "sets of 4 basis vectors", correct? If that is the case, then yes, any Lorentz inertial frame is a set of basis vectors for the vector space of all 4-vectors. Basis vectors span the vector space by definition.

Likes kent davidge

Related to Math of Reference Frames: Spanning Vector Space

What is a reference frame in mathematics?

A reference frame in mathematics is a coordinate system that is used to describe the position and movement of objects. It is a set of axes that define a point of origin and directions for measuring distances and angles.

What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of objects called vectors, which can be added together and multiplied by numbers, known as scalars. It is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and is used to represent physical quantities such as displacement and velocity.

What does it mean for a vector space to be spanning?

A vector space is said to be spanning if every vector in the space can be expressed as a linear combination of a set of basis vectors. This means that the basis vectors can be used to create any vector in the space by scaling and adding them together.

How is the dimension of a vector space determined?

The dimension of a vector space is determined by the number of basis vectors needed to span the space. For example, a 2-dimensional vector space would require 2 linearly independent basis vectors, such as i and j, to span the space.

What is the difference between a basis and a spanning set?

A basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that can be used to span a vector space, while a spanning set is any set of vectors that can be used to span a vector space. In other words, a basis is a specific type of spanning set that is minimal and unique for a given vector space.