Max Bending Moment of Rigidly Clamped Beam

In summary, a graduate engineer has a query about a simple problem involving a beam of length L with a point load F in the center. After calculating the vertical reactions to be F/2 on each end, the person gets lost when trying to find the maximum bending moment. The maximum bending moment for this scenario is given as Mmax = Fx/2 - FL/8, but the person is unsure where the 8 comes from. They are seeking clarification on how this maximum moment is derived.
eddie135
Dear Experts,

I am a gradute engineer posting here for the first time. I have a query regarding the simple problem to which i cannot seem to get the correct Max bending moment. Here is the problem.

A beam of length L rigidly clamped at both ends with a point load F in the centre, i.e, at location l/2
I calculate the vertical reactions to be f/2 on each end.
Now if we take a section through the beam at a distance x from the left hand side and summing moments about this section, i get the following

M(x) = F(x - L/2) + M + R1x

where R1 is the left hand vertical force which is equal to f/2 and M which is the fixing moment due to LHS of beam being rigidly clamped. From here I get lost. The Max bending moment from various books for this scenario is given to be

Mmax = Fx/2 - FL/8

I am baffled as to where the 8 comes from.

I would really appreciated it if anyone can shed some light on how this max moment is derived.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards
Eddie

Physics news on Phys.org
How can the maximum bending moment be a function of x, if the moment is maximized with respect to x?

Related to Max Bending Moment of Rigidly Clamped Beam

1. What is a rigidly clamped beam?

A rigidly clamped beam is a structural element that is supported at both ends and is unable to rotate or bend at those points. The support at each end is typically a fixed connection, such as a wall or foundation, which prevents any movement or rotation of the beam.

2. What is the maximum bending moment of a rigidly clamped beam?

The maximum bending moment of a rigidly clamped beam is the point at which the beam experiences the greatest amount of stress due to an applied load. This is typically located at the center of the beam, where the bending moment is at its highest.

3. How is the maximum bending moment of a rigidly clamped beam calculated?

The maximum bending moment of a rigidly clamped beam can be calculated using the equation Mmax = WL/8, where W is the applied load and L is the length of the beam. This equation assumes a uniform load distribution along the length of the beam.

4. What factors can affect the maximum bending moment of a rigidly clamped beam?

The maximum bending moment of a rigidly clamped beam can be affected by several factors, including the type and magnitude of the applied load, the length and material of the beam, and the support conditions at the ends of the beam.

5. Why is the maximum bending moment of a rigidly clamped beam important?

The maximum bending moment of a rigidly clamped beam is important because it determines the strength and stability of the beam. It is a crucial factor in the design and analysis of structures to ensure that the beam can withstand the applied loads without failing or deforming beyond acceptable limits.