Maximizing Cavitation to Heat Water Efficiently Without Electricity

In summary, bob wanted to know more about cavitation and how it could be used to heat water. He found that it is not worth it, but the details of how it is created are less important. He suggests using a stationary bike and an alternator to generate the most heat. Additionally, he suggests reading about cavitation to get ideas.
TromboneNerd
I need to find the most efficient way to each 600 ml of water without using an electric heat source or any non human power. I thought i would use a combination of agitation and cavitation, with a screw with lots of "dimples" that create the pockets of low resistance that would create cavitation inside a tube. I can't find any information on cavitation other than what it is on a basic level so i have a few questions.
1) is this even worth it? is the heat caused by cavitation going to be significant enough in such a short time?
2) if it is, how can i maximize it? Should i use a narrower tube with a longer screw to spread the water out? or should i have a thicker tube so i can maximize the surface area of the screw blades, maximizing cavitation?

though I'm in high school, I've studied into multivariable calculus so if you have any equations whatsoever, please share them no matter how mathematically complex. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Science news on Phys.org
Get on a stationary bike with an alternator/dynamo, and put a resistor in the water. Get an eggbeater with a crank, and modify it to increase turbulence. Put the water in a cannister, pump the pressure in the cannister up to a high pressure, then let it out through a very fine seive (like a porous plug). Get a hand-crank transfer pump and do the same thing by recycling through pump.

The stationary bike should generate 100 watts (~1/8th HP) for 30 minutes.

Bob S

I want to create my own idea. that's where the fun is. I'm looking for helpful information about cavitation principles and water heating in general, not a pre-made design to follow, though I appreciate the effort.

The main thing to consider is conservation of energy. The details of how drag is generated are less important than the torque and rpm themselves.

1) is this even worth it? is the heat caused by cavitation going to be significant enough in such a short time?

no.

2) if it is, how can i maximize it?

high RPM is necessary to maximize cavitation...but it's a useless exercise...

Try reading here for possible ideas...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat

Related to Maximizing Cavitation to Heat Water Efficiently Without Electricity

What is cavitation and how does it relate to heating water efficiently?

Cavitation is the formation and collapse of tiny bubbles in a liquid due to changes in pressure. When these bubbles collapse, they release energy in the form of heat, which can be harnessed to efficiently heat water without the use of electricity.

How does maximizing cavitation improve the efficiency of water heating?

By increasing the intensity and duration of cavitation, more bubbles are formed and collapse, releasing more heat energy. This leads to a more efficient transfer of energy to the water, resulting in faster and more efficient heating.

What are some methods for increasing cavitation in water?

There are several methods for maximizing cavitation, including using ultrasonic waves, introducing additives like surfactants or nanoparticles, and adjusting the pressure and flow rate of the water.

Are there any potential drawbacks to using cavitation for water heating?

One potential drawback is that cavitation can cause erosion and damage to equipment if not properly controlled. It is also important to consider the energy and resources required to create and maintain cavitation, as well as any environmental impacts.

How does cavitation compare to traditional methods of water heating in terms of cost and efficiency?

Cavitation can be a more cost-effective and efficient method of heating water compared to traditional methods, as it does not require electricity or fuel. However, the specific cost and efficiency will depend on the specific setup and conditions of the process.