Need some kind of convergence theorem for integrals taken over sequences of sets

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a convergence theorem for integrals taken over sequences of sets. The Monotone Convergence Theorem is suggested as a potential solution, which states that the limit of the integrals over a sequence of non-negative functions is equal to the integral over the limit function. The need for continuity or boundedness of the function is also brought up.
benorin
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I think this be Analysis,
I Need some kind of convergence theorem for integrals taken over sequences of sets, know one? Example, a double integral taken over sets such that
x^(2n)+y^(2n)<=1 with some integrand. I'd be interested in when the limit of the integral over the sequence of sets is equal to the integral over the limit of the sequence of sets (the unit square in the example).

Physics news on Phys.org
benorin said:
I think this be Analysis,
I Need some kind of convergence theorem for integrals taken over sequences of sets, know one? Example, a double integral taken over sets such that
x^(2n)+y^(2n)<=1 with some integrand. I'd be interested in when the limit of the integral over the sequence of sets is equal to the integral over the limit of the sequence of sets (the unit square in the example).
Dominated convergence theorem or Vitali convergence theorem can be used.

If ##(S_n)_n## are the sets, and they "converge" to ##S##, then you can set ##\displaystyle f_n=\chi_{S_n}f##..
Still not sure whether we also need continuity or boundedness of f.

May depend on how you define the convergence of the sequence of sets.

Last edited:
Likes benorin

Hi there! I'm not an expert in analysis, but I did a quick search and found that the Monotone Convergence Theorem might be what you're looking for. It states that if you have a sequence of non-negative functions that converge pointwise to a limit function, then the limit of the integrals over that sequence is equal to the integral over the limit function. I hope that helps!

Related to Need some kind of convergence theorem for integrals taken over sequences of sets

1. What is a convergence theorem for integrals over sequences of sets?

A convergence theorem for integrals over sequences of sets is a mathematical result that guarantees the convergence of a sequence of integrals taken over a sequence of sets to a certain value. It is used to analyze the behavior of integrals over increasingly larger or smaller sets, and to determine the limit of such integrals as the size of the sets approaches infinity or zero.

2. Why do we need a convergence theorem for integrals over sequences of sets?

Convergence theorems for integrals over sequences of sets are important because they allow us to study the behavior of integrals over infinite or infinitesimal sets. They also help us to determine if a sequence of integrals is approaching a finite value or diverging to infinity, which is crucial in many areas of mathematics and science.

3. What are some examples of convergence theorems for integrals over sequences of sets?

Some examples of convergence theorems for integrals over sequences of sets include the Monotone Convergence Theorem, Fatou's Lemma, and the Dominated Convergence Theorem. These theorems are commonly used in real analysis, measure theory, and probability theory.

4. How do convergence theorems for integrals over sequences of sets differ from those for single integrals?

The main difference between convergence theorems for integrals over sequences of sets and those for single integrals is that the former deal with the behavior of integrals over multiple sets, while the latter only consider a single set. This means that convergence theorems for single integrals are special cases of those for integrals over sequences of sets.

5. Are there any limitations to convergence theorems for integrals over sequences of sets?

Yes, there are limitations to convergence theorems for integrals over sequences of sets. For example, these theorems may not apply if the sets in the sequence do not have a well-defined limit or if the integrand function is not continuous. Additionally, some convergence theorems may only hold for certain types of integrals, such as Lebesgue integrals, and not for other types of integrals, such as Riemann integrals.