On proving sup A is less than sup B when A is in B

• MHB
  • Thread starter OhMyMarkov
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the inequality $\sup A \leq \sup B$ when $A \subset B$. The approach is to consider different cases and prove them one by one. The first case is where $\alpha \in A$ and $\alpha \in B$, which leads to $\alpha \leq \beta$. The second case is where $\alpha \notin A$ and $\alpha \in B$, which also results in $\alpha \leq \beta$. The third case is where $\alpha \notin A$ and $\alpha \notin B$, which leads to two subcases: (a) $\alpha < \beta$ and (b) $\alpha = \beta$. It is then shown
OhMyMarkov
Hello everybody!

I want to prove that if $A\subset B$, then $\sup A \leq \sup B$. I'm taking the exhausting approach of considering cases in proving this:

First let $\alpha = \sup A, \beta = \sup B$

(1) If $\alpha \in A, \alpha \in B,$ so $\alpha \leq \beta$

(2) If $\alpha \notin A, \alpha \in B$ the $\sup$ of $B$ is bigger than all elements in $B$, nameley $\alpha$, so $\alpha \leq \beta$

(3) If $\alpha \notin A, \alpha \notin B$, now there seems to be two subcases here:
a- if $\alpha < \beta$
b- if $\alpha = \beta$

But I can't seem to establish those!
Any help on that is appreciated, if there are shortcuts or a quicker proof I'd be thankful if I can see it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
OhMyMarkov said:
I want to prove that if $A\subset B$, then $\sup A \leq \sup B$. I'm taking the exhausting approach of considering cases in proving this:
First let $\alpha = \sup A, \beta = \sup B$
First let us assume that $\beta = \sup B$ actually exists, i.e. $B$ has an upper bound.
By the given $\alpha = \sup A$ must then also exist.

Suppose that $\beta < \alpha$. That means that $\beta$ is not an upper bound of $A$ WHY?

How is that a contradiction?

How does that prove that $\alpha \le \beta ~?$

Ok...

(1) Suppose $\beta < \alpha$, since $\alpha = \sup A$, any number $t < \alpha$ is not an upper bound of $A$ by the definition of the least upper bound

(2) But $\beta$ is an upper bound of $B$, so $\forall x \in B$, $x \leq \beta$, in particular, every $x\in A, x \leq \beta$ so that $\beta$ is also an upper bound for $A$!

A contradiction!

(3) Hence, $\alpha \leq \beta$

Thank you, I think I got it right...

Related to On proving sup A is less than sup B when A is in B

What is the meaning of "sup" in this context?

"Sup" stands for supremum, which is the least upper bound of a set. In other words, it is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the numbers in the set.

Why is it important to prove that sup A is less than sup B?

This proof is important because it allows us to compare the upper bounds of two sets and determine which one is larger. This can be useful in many mathematical and scientific applications, such as optimization problems and understanding the behavior of functions.

What is the process for proving that sup A is less than sup B?

The process for proving this statement typically involves using the definition of supremum and the properties of sets and real numbers. Depending on the specific problem, different proof techniques such as contradiction or induction may also be used.

Can this statement be generalized to more than two sets?

Yes, this statement can be generalized to any finite or infinite number of sets. The proof may become more complex, but the same basic concept applies: compare the supremums of each set to determine which one is larger.

What are some real-life examples of when this statement would be useful?

This statement can be useful in many real-life scenarios, such as comparing the maximum operating temperatures of different materials, determining the maximum weight a bridge can hold based on the strength of its individual components, or finding the fastest route to a destination by comparing the upper bounds of different possible routes.