Only one person can hear what you say

• Thread starter Manraj singh
  • Start date
In summary, my friend and I discussed a device that allows only one person to hear what you say. It involves an oval disk placed around your lips and ultrasonic sound emitters. By pointing your mouth towards someone's ear, the sound waves are confined and only one person hears it. However, this device may not have many practical applications and may need to be more complex to work effectively.
Manraj singh
My friend and i were discussing this device with which inly one person can hear what you say. It doesn't have much practical application, but still: we have a device, an oval disk or something which surrounds your lips but doesn't cover your mouth, and we place ultrasonic sound emitters on it. You then point your mouth to someone's ear, and then speak, then would it happen that only one person hears what you say? Would the ultrasonic waves confine the sound waves you emit? And would this have any practical application?
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1400176346.862405.jpg
i know the drawings are horrible.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Related to Only one person can hear what you say

1. What causes only one person to be able to hear what I say?

The phenomenon of only one person being able to hear what you say is known as selective hearing. It is caused by the brain's ability to filter out certain sounds and focus on others. This can be influenced by a variety of factors such as attention, background noise, and personal biases.

2. Is selective hearing a form of hearing loss?

No, selective hearing is not a form of hearing loss. It is a natural function of the brain and does not indicate any damage or impairment to the auditory system. However, if you are experiencing difficulty hearing in general, it is important to have your hearing checked by a professional.

3. Can selective hearing be controlled or improved?

Selective hearing cannot be fully controlled, as it is a subconscious process. However, it can be improved by practicing active listening techniques and being mindful of distractions. Additionally, maintaining good communication skills and being aware of personal biases can also help improve selective hearing.

4. Is there a way to prevent others from being able to hear what I say?

In most cases, no. Unless you are speaking in a private, soundproofed room, it is likely that others will be able to hear at least some of what you say. However, you can control the volume of your voice and choose your words carefully to minimize the chances of being overheard.

5. Are there any medical conditions that can cause selective hearing?

While selective hearing is a natural function of the brain, there are some medical conditions that can affect it. For example, individuals with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) may have difficulty filtering out distractions and focusing on one person's voice. Additionally, certain types of hearing loss can also impact an individual's ability to selectively hear certain sounds.